More Cowbell! Top Ten: Poor Poor Pitiful Me (#5)

@FourWalls (9504)
What a World Series! Congratulations to both the Dodgers and the Astros for such a terrific series, and congratulations to the city of Houston for their first World Series title! To celebrate, let's bang on the cowbell with another song from my list of favorites that feature the cowbell. Here's today's song. #5: Poor Poor Pitiful Me - Linda Ronstadt NOTE: This has the total approval of @JohnRoberts (unlike the outcome of the World Series)!!!! 1978 was a good year for Warren Zevon. He had his own success with "Werewolves of London," and he also made a dollar or two in royalties thanks to Linda Ronstadt's cover of this song from his first album. Zevon wrote it as a tongue-in-cheek lament of being used as a sex toy too much by women. Ronstadt turned the tables when she recorded it ("these young girls won't let me be" became "oh, these boys won't let me be"). Linda and Zevon were friends: she sang back-up on the song "Excitable Boy" and did some marvelous work on "Empty-Handed Heart" and "Bed of Coals." She recorded four of his songs, with this one being the only single released out of the four (the other three were "Hasten Down the Wind," "Carmelita," and "Mohammed's Radio"). Zevon's version doesn't have cowbell, nor does it have that great bass riff that Kenny Edwards put in Ronstadt's version. And, frankly, it doesn't have Ronstadt's voice, that makes anything sound better. Poor Poor Pitiful Me Written by Warren Zevon Recorded by Linda Ronstadt From Simple Dreams, 1977 Please don't hurt me mama:
Well of course, when you can take care of Linda and Warren with one song I can see that PS - I really like the live version from the FM soundtrack
@FourWalls (9504)
I liked that movie better than I should have. Here's the clip, with Rick Marotta doing the honors on the cowbell:
@FourWalls I have the soundtrack!
@JohnRoberts Of course, I have it on vinyl...pretty good album, most songs are full length
I am delirious with joy and know it was a typo that you meant #1 not #5 lol.
@FourWalls (9504)
Yeah, just a typo and math problem, that's all....
• Pleasant Hill, California
Her descant on Empty-Handed Heart makes it a lost-love song for the ages.
@FourWalls (9504)
I completely agree. Never has such a beautiful voice woven such bitter accusations. That should be considered one of Ronstadt's greatest vocal performances ever. For those who haven't heard it, enjoy:
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose Matthew Gulley Loading... Unsubscribe fro
@LoriAMoore (9685)
Not a huge Linda Ronstadt fan, but she's okay and I like this song.
@LeaPea2417 (14621)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Wow, I hadn't heard or thought of that song in decades. I remember it and how it was played on the radio a lot when I was a teenager.
@dgobucks226 (5987)
Zevon as we know the master lyricist and Ronstadt the singer capable of creating a masterpiece out of anyone's song! Linda's cleaned up version really works!
Ah, yes, a great song! I used to have Simple Dreams on vinyl.