Playing Lawn Bowls Again

Lawn Bowls
Bunbury, Australia
On Friday we met with two friends and took part in a ‘corporate bowls’ tournament. This is lawn bowls and the competition will take place over four Fridays. Most of the twenty teams don’t play bowls regularly so it’s meant to be a bit of fun. I guess the bowls club hopes they’ll get a few new members out of it. It was a warm evening and it was very pleasant being out with a group of friends. We were up against a foursome who had played bowls before and we were getting soundly beaten when we had a stroke of luck. We were bowling two bowls each and whoever got nearest the kitty (a small white ball) gained a point for their team. If your team had two bowls closer then you gained two points. We’d all bowl to the opposite end then gather at that end and all bowl back towards the clubhouse. So just when we thought we were going to do really badly, suddenly our eight bowls were all closer to the kitty than the opposing team’s eight, In that one round we picked up eight points which doesn’t happen very often. It was just a stroke of luck but we felt very pleased with ourselves. We still didn’t win but we didn’t look the abject failures that we had up until that point. Hopefully next week we will do better.
@moffittjc (34692)
• Gainesville, Florida
Is this the same as the sport of Bocce? If so, then it's a game I love to play!
It's similar, bocce is an Italian game and it's not played on a lawn, but on something similar to the tennis court.
@moffittjc (34692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck I figured there would be some similarities between the two games! Thanks for responding!
@moffittjc (34692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Oh, that must be so fun to play! I love when you add in the challenge of curved surfaces!
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. You are such active person.
It was fun. It's good we got one good score or we might have been a bit miserable at doing so badly.
@Emmlex1000 (1249)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Wow it beautiful having this habit of sport
We're only going for four Fridays but it's a nice way to spend a summer evening.
• Lagos, Nigeria
@JudyEv yes thanks
Looks like there is a lot of space to play - but it looks nice under the night sky.
Each lane is about 5 metres wide so a number of teams can play at the same time. On a summer evening it is very pleasant.
@dodoazo (10045)
I am hoping too that you could beat them. You need to practice. I remember for the first Iried to play. I had never ever hit the pin balls. All my attempts went to naught, to canal. I never ever play bowling in my life from that time forth.
This is different to ten-pin bowing but it's still fun.
@shubhu3 (12168)
• New Delhi, India
Wow! You really had an amazing experience. The most important thing I believe is to enjoy as much as you can whatever you do. Amazing.
That's true, as long as you enjoy it, that really is all that matters.
@shubhu3 (12168)
• New Delhi, India
@JudyEv Yeah exactly.
@noni1959 (2594)
This looks like so much fun. I'd like to try this out.
The evenings we go to are great as everyone is pretty much a novice and there is no real pressure to do well.
Sounds fun. Good luck next week!
We are playing against four friends next week so the knives will be out!
@Platespinner (18073)
I've never play lawn bowls, but it sounds like you had a good time!
I wouldn't want to play regularly but it's a lot of fun on a warm summer's evening. This particular competition only goes for four weeks.
That's great! I'm glad you did better than expected.
It was looking very bad for a while!
Wishing you a win, or close to a win, next week!!! Such fun for all!!!
Thanks. Hopefully we might be more evenly matched next week but we know we're playing against friends so we'll be all out to beat them!
sounds great there.
It was a very pleasant evening. Our summers are good for evening entertainment as sometimes the days are too hot.
There's always next time, by then you have time for practice in the meantime. Don't worry you will have another chance.
That's true. And it is just meant to be fun so it's all good.
@LoriAMoore (9687)
That looks like fun.
Very few that are playing are much good so there is really no pressure to perform well.
@responsiveme (14375)
Sounds fun...Happy bowling
Thanks. We're only going for four Fridays but we'll enjoy it while it lasts. We're not interested in joining the club and playing every week but this is an ideal diversion.
@ilocosboy (31861)
You have fun playing lawn bowls there, hope you win the next time.
We're only going for four Fridays as a win would be nice but it won't matter too much.
I loved to plac Bocce, I never played lawn bowls.
We came across bocce courts? (are they called courts) all over the place throughout France. Every evening you'd see people heading off with their balls to play bocce. I don't remember seeing any bowling greens.
@JudyEv In France the Bocce courts (it's correct) are not very good, we have great bocce courts in Italy. My father was a good player, he won many competitions.
@LadyDuck Some courts were very rough and ready but others seemed well maintained. We have a set of balls but just play on our grassed area.
@vilma143 (348)
• Dipolog, Philippines
wow, what a nice sport, is the ball heavy? Hopefully, you win.
The bowls weigh between 2 1/2 pounds to a bit over 3 depending on the size of your hands. We're hoping for a great result next week.
@vilma143 (348)
• Dipolog, Philippines
@JudyEv, good luck, my friend.
@sueznewz2 (9333)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm glad you managed to catch up a bit... I hope you have fun next week and get some more points
It was looking very embarrassing till we got that 8 in one go. Nothing mattered after that.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
Lots of fun - I have been so busy with my own league and night bowls that my (housework life) is at a standstill
Lawn bowls seems virtually unknown in the US. Have you noticed that?