It Was Kind of Funny Afterwards....

I just read @FayeHazel 's post about being too nice. Something she said reminded me of a sort of funny story about my mom. I thought I'd share it because it made me giggle on this chilly November morning. In 2012, my mom turned 70. My dad decided to throw her a little surprise party. My parents live in a rural area with just a few choices for restaurants. So he decided to have the surprise at Pizza Hut because there was plenty of space for the guests. It wasn't a huge party, but I'd say there were probably 30 of us or so? Something like that anyway. The party was on my mom's actual birthday. So the premise to get her to Pizza Hut was just that they were going out for a birthday meal with another couple. They get to their friends' house and my mom mentions that she really isn't in the mood for pizza. She'd rather go to this little place that serves home cookin' type food. All three of the others are like, "Oh no, we need to get pizza. i'm in the mood for pizza." In my mom's head, she's thinking, "Well, gosh, whose birthday is it anyway?" But here's the thing with my mom.... Like @FayeHazel, she tends to be too nice. And so she just let them have their way, even though it was HER birthday.... So she's just thinking to herself, "I'd really rather have that fried chicken." Then she arrives at Pizza Hut and sees her friends and family. And all was well. But of course ,we all got a kick out of imagining my dad and their friends just acting kind of selfishly saying, "no, I'm in the mood for pizza." ha ha ha. I'm editing to say that she was THRILLED when she arrived and saw her friends and family. The people were what mattered to my mom.
That is funny...it is a good thing that she was too nice or they never would have been able to pull the surprise party off. lol
yep, exactly.... i can only imagine if it had been me..... I'm not that nice. :-)
@jillybean1222 lol then it may have been a whole different story..they would have been scrambling last minute trying to get everybody to move locations..lol
• Pamplona, Spain
Lovely story about your Mom. Most of all I love the photo of her. Is that her in the photo? Pleased she enjoyed herself and being with other people also.
yes, that is my mom and i
• Pamplona, Spain
@jillybean1222 She has a very kind face and seems very outgoing also.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
Oh how sweet was your mother
yes, she's very sweet and kindhearted.
@jillybean1222 Happy for you
I hope she was happy with that.
she was happy once she arrived and saw everyone.
• Denmark
Didn't you know what your mother fancies and choose a different restaurant?
My dad planned the party. And it had to be at a place that would hold the people. They live in a very small, rural area without many choices. It was about the people, not the food. She was happy once she arrived and saw everyone.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Thats pretty funny...poor Mom wanted that good old home cooking food haha..bless her Glad it turned out well.
• Eugene, Oregon
That was one surprise that they had to talk her in to. Great story.
That is funny! thank you for the giggle here.
@responsiveme (14463)
What a sweet story..She certainly is one of the nice people.
If ti was my Mom it would have be a serious problem, we would have never convinced her to come to have a pizza.
What a lovely story, your mother sounds very sweet. Of course once she saw you all she would have realised why the others were being 'selfish'
@FayeHazel (11908)
Oh that is such a nice story - thanks for the mention too, I'm happy I inspired you because I loved the story and that it had a happy ending with a nice surprise party for your mom :-)
Awe that is such a cute story. I'm glad she was happy in the end
@LoriAMoore (10171)
Sounds like it turned out well.
@sallypup (22104)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm glad that you were able to con your Mom into heading to the pizza joint.
I am glad that in the end your mother had a good day.
@cahaya1983 (9728)
That's really funny, did she get to celebrate her next birthday at the fried chicken place though?
That's a great story. I can imagine her feelings. She'd have no idea why they couldn't have gone where she wanted to.
@Srbageldog (5684)
That's too funny. My mom would have thrown a fit and the surprise would have been spoiled just to get her there.
• Marion, Kansas
That is a fun memory to have. She did not suspect at all, I guess.