My dog is a homewrecker!

my naughty little yuyu
Australia
My lovely little Japanese Spitz, Yuyu (her name), one day chased a mother duck and its ducklings. Apparently, for some reason, this duck decided to lay its eggs on our roof gutter and had been there for days. When the eggs hatched, they all flew down to the yard and that's when my dog chased them all away, except for one duckling who got left behind. We decided to keep the duckling but unfortunately, it died after 3 days. It was way too young and fragile, and we really didn't have any facilities or knowledge on raising this kind of animal. Surprisingly, my dog instantly mothered the duckling and watched it in its little brooder and wouldn't leave it. i think she too got really sad when it didn't thrive.
@ilocosboy (33306)
your dog got conscience
I think she was very very guilty and tried to make up for it.
Well, your wonderful pup did give a try at mothering the poor little thing. Your dog is a beauty!!
I think she didn't really understand fully what that creature was in front of her. Birds were always something she would chase, and spook away and suddenly there's this little thing that she felt like she had to nurture. She must've thought it was another puppy and would not stop licking and grooming her, hence, we had to keep the duckling in a brooder where it didnt have to put up with all the "smothering mothering". We planned to take it out once it's bigger and stronger but sadly it didn't even reach that stage
Deborah, that was very beautiful what you wrote.
@YrNemo (8765)
hmm, that pet of yours needs some little kitten or puppy to take care of . Its maternal instinct seems to be strong.
Very true Darcy, I'm sure she will be awesome to have some company. I'm seriously considering getting another pet once we've moved out from my fiance's parental home. At the moment it's hard to have pets in the house
@YrNemo (8765)
@Theresaaiza Good luck with the future.
That was very special what your dog did. Dogs do feel things and if you felt bad the dog could see or feel the sadness and felt sad too.
Funny, because of her curiosity, when we let the duckling loose in our living room, my dog wouldn't stop licking and grooming her and I think this too wore the little one down so we had to take it away from her and place it inside the brooder with a little net covering. Yuyu would not stop peering down on it. And stayed there all day long. I think they really bonded except that the duckling did not really thrive
@Theresaaiza That is sad. I believe they bonded too.
@JustBhem (22746)
• Davao, Philippines
I feel sorry for the duckling and Yuyu will be a good keeper.
@JustBhem (22746)
• Davao, Philippines
@Theresaaiza Oh, sorry to hear that too.
@carebear29 (26259)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
cute dog though
She is very adorable.
@cttolledo (2348)
• Batangas, Philippines
Dog is like a human. hehe. your dog learned a very important lesson.
I'm seriously considering getting another pet once we have our own house.
They are sweet like that.
It was unexpected but truly heart warming
• Portland, Connecticut
That is very sweet and it is too bad that the duckling didn't make it.
Your poor doggie. our pets certainly have feelings.