Hey Alexa...

@moffittjc (35687)
Gainesville, Florida
I'm curious to know how many of you out there have an intelligent personal assistant, or smart speaker as they're often called? You know, Alexa, Echo, Dot, Cortana? I see 8000 commercials for them on TV, yet I don't know anyone who actually has one in their home. I'm curious to know if they are really as popular and widespread as the commercials make them out to be. And if you do have one, how hard was it to set up, and how easy is it to really use? I'm not naive enough to think that the simplicity of the product that is demonstrated in the commercials is what actually takes place in real life. I imagine there must be a lot of work involved in setting up the system to do all the things the commercials make look simple. What are your thoughts on them? Are they the wave of the future?
I don't know what they're all about. Are they like Sisi or whatever she's called - on a phone?
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's Siri, and yes, it's like the home version of Siri.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is a separate item that stands alone. She responds when you say her name. Then you can ask her to set a timer or reminder of an appt or anything like that.
@JamesHxstatic Sort of like a wife that doesn't answer back?
I do not have one and I do not know anyone who does. In my country, I believe only the very well off would be able to afford one. However I see it becoming more affordable and widely used in the very near future.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
They are not very expensive at all. You can get one for about $50. I saw one on sale during Black Friday for $29.
• Eugene, Oregon
I got Anne one several months ago and we use it a lot. It was very simple to set up really. Use is you just say her name and she replies. We use it for appt reminders, checking weather, and now there is a chat app I tried just for kicks this morning. We like it quite well.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
Do you have any of your electronics or appliances hooked up to it? Can you say "Alexa, turn on the tv" and it will? I'd be all for getting one if I knew it was simple to set up, and that it could do most of the things I tell it to do.
• Eugene, Oregon
@moffittjc We don't have a smart house, so we did not do that.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JamesHxstatic So what exactly can you do with it? It is obviously connected to the internet, right? Can you ask it to do internet searches for you, or can you tell it to order you a product from Amazon, or something?
I have never had one, and honestly can't see myself buying one in the near future or far off future.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
Other than my smart TV, I do not think I have any other internet ready appliances, gadgets or electronics in my house that could communicate with Alexa, so I'm not sure it would be worth my while.
Well, I have Cortana, it came with Win10 but since I don't watch commercials ..... ok ok, I don't watch cable, I choose shows on the streaming tv sites ..... so I haven't a clue what the claims are for these so called personal assistants. Sometimes I key in a search word for cortana to look up but otherwise I ignore that thing.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
The one on your computer is a little different than the one that is freestanding in your home. The one in your home connects to your smart appliances and other smart gadgets you may have in your house. I have a part-time job at Home Depot, and you wouldn't believe how many smart products they are making these days that you can control from your personal assistant or even your phone. It's crazy! Door locks, door bells, lightbulbs, kitchen appliances, toilets, etc. You name it, they've probably got a smart version of it, or are at least trying to develop it! lol
Ohhh those @moffittjc nah, I don't have one of those and honestly I wouldn't want one. In my opinion only, anything that is geared to work from a wireless theme is far too easy for a smart hacker to invade and conquer, I like my personal assistant Ally and her kitties, at least they cannot be hacked ... well, almost, I haven't a clue if they'd fall for a slice of steak and let anyone in though.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
@rebelann I certainly am skeptic about the security features on those things. Like you said, a smart hacker can gain access to them fairly simply and quickly, and then the next thing you know your entire house has been hijacked.
Not me and i don't know anyone who does either
@moffittjc i mean, they can do that already with laptops and phones.. but yeah that would probably make it easier
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Courtlynn But laptops and phones have security measures in place. I don't know what kind of security they have on the digital assistants. I'm sure there's something basic in place, but I don't know for sure.
@moffittjc hmmm.. good question
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Cortana is a part of most windows devices now.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not a Windows fan at all, so I suppose Cortana and I will never become friends.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
@thislittlepennyearns Siri creeps me out in the sense that she knows me too well, and isn't afraid to put me in my place when I act up too much. She and I have the craziest conversations some times! lol
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@moffittjc I can imagine. I'm sure they are the equivalent to some of our conversations.
@bluesa (12803)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No Alexa for me. When it comes to technology, I know just enough to do the basics. I still use an old fashioned Diary to remind me of birthdays and appointments, @moffittjc, otherwise I have my phone.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would never be good at keeping a diary, because I would always be losing it somewhere! haha
@bluesa (12803)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc such a busy bee.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa I am a busy bee, but I do know how to relax when the need arises! Plus, when I keep busy, it keeps me out of trouble! haha
I have an Echo that was a gift. I only use it for the weather and to play music. I may get one for Florida. Otherwise, I don't know how else to use it.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
"Hey Alexa, order Jeff and I some more drinks. We're getting low!" haha
I have an Echo Dot 2 and I love it a lot! It is a cool gadget. It is very useful and entertaining if you install more skills for it. It is easy to set up, especially you are from USA. You can have the full service. In Black Friday and Cyber Monday an Echo Dot 2 just costs USD29.99 and this is quite a nice price
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
What's the difference between an Echo and an Echo Dot? Do they do different functions?
@moffittjc Echo Dot is a smart speaker. Echo is one of the names that you can choose to wake up this smart speaker. The names are Alexa, Echo and computer.
@bunnybon7 (33075)
• Holiday, Florida
i feel the same as you do about these. i hope someone can tell you. i bet they are really expensive since i also don't know anyone with one
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
They are actually very affordable. You can get them for about $50-$100. Home Depot had an Echo Dot for $29 on Black Friday.
@bunnybon7 (33075)
• Holiday, Florida
@moffittjc cool. good to know.
We don't have one. Husband would like one, but wants them to be a little better first. I don't know anyone who has one. To me they seem a tad creepy, always just sitting there, soaking up everything you say!
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've heard rumors that our government actually spies on people through those things, by listening in to conversations. I can totally believe that they would do something like that! And what happens when hackers get access, and can control just about anything in your home that is hooked up to it? I don't always think advances in technology are a good thing.
I've never tried it though I have Cortana on my computer. I've never activated it.
@moffittjc (35687)
• Gainesville, Florida
I just use Siri on my iPhone. She's gotten to know me pretty well. And she puts me in my place when I try to get too sassy with her!
• Portland, Connecticut
18h
lol I will tell you that I do have a name for Siri on my iPhone, I call her dumb bimbo!!~ If that is any help.
@YrNemo (8553)
After reading the replies from James Higgins, I had such a good laugh. Guess I will never touch this thing. I turned off the Cortana on my laptop, I do hate it!