Adults don’t have enough fun in their lives

@Fleura (6159)
United Kingdom
When was the last time you really laughed about something? I don’t mean just a polite chuckle, but really laughed until your eyes watered and your sides ached, or you had a fit of the giggles and just couldn’t stop? It occurred to me a few years ago that life had become rather dull in this respect. I wasn’t unhappy, everything was fine but it just wasn’t really fun any more. I carried on in the same routine day after day, and yes I did things I enjoyed and spent time chatting pleasantly with friends and colleagues but it wasn’t really FUN in the same way that life used to be when I was younger. Of course bad things happen in life too and everyone goes through difficult, upsetting and depressing times, but sometimes it seems that adults still experience the ‘lows’ of life but miss out on the ‘highs’ – often they just continue the daily grind and live in hope that one day they will win the lottery and then they’ll be happy (except of course it doesn’t work like that). So I’ve been making an effort to do more fun stuff, and who cares if other grown-ups think I’m silly? Of course it’s easier when you have children because they can join in and that makes it all seem more ‘legitimate’ somehow, when we run around throwing autumn leaves at each other on the way home from school or something like that. It’s also an antidote to the modern sedentary life – how many people do you know who sit at a desk all day and then go to the gym a couple of times a week as just another chore. Exercise and having fun should go together – remember your childhood with hula hoops, skipping ropes, and all kinds of other active and fun things? For my last birthday I got a ‘space-hopper’ – remember them? The girls and I have hopper races around the house until we’re laughing too much to hop any more, and every one of my adult friends who visits wants to have a go too. They all soon have massive smiles on their faces – and it’s great exercise too I can tell you! All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2017.
What a wonderful idea! I can imagine you all have a great deal of fun on your space hoppers.
• Southend-On-Sea, England
I agree. The last time I really laughed properly rather than just a little chuckle or a grin, was probably more than ten years ago when I used to work with a girl who had a really unusual sense of humour. I'd be sitting in the office in fits of hysterical laughter for most of the day.
@Fleura (6159)
That's terrible isn't it - ten years??
• Southend-On-Sea, England
@Fleura Yep probably too long. I do find lots of things funny, but my laughter trigger/response seems to have changed as I've aged.
that' is hilarious :)
That sounds like so much fun!!! To be honest, my husband makes me laugh every single day, except for yesterday when he ruined our landscaping. lol
@Fleura (6159)
On days like that you have to laugh or you'd cry!
@Fleura So true!!!!
I try to laugh everyday, but sometimes I tend to forget. That sounds like great fun to have with your kids.
I had the last real laugh (with watery eyes) only two days ago, it was something my husband said that made us laugh like kids. This hopper surely is a lot of fun.
@Fleura (6159)
Glad to hear you still have plenty to laugh about : )
@Fleura I think it is important to be happy together.
@Fleura (6159)
@LadyDuck Do you know the saying 'the family that plays together, stays together'?
same here. can't go out and enjoy hanging out with co workers/friends because i have to mind my child
@Fleura (6159)
That is a shame, but maybe you will meet other parents you will get along with? I have several good friends now that I have met because of my children, at the toddler group or school.
@Fleura yeah i of course speak to parents at school but we dont hang out because they're also plain housewives and dont have extra money to hang out
@Fleura (6159)
@Strawberry18 Don't give up hope, you might meet some fun new people yet!
That's sounds like fun! :) It is true it is important to laugh. The Space-Hopper must be fun to play with. Great Topic! :)
@Fleura (6159)
Oh it is fun - and more difficult than I remembered!
@Fleura would you do it again?
@Fleura (6159)
@redwhitepinkroses f course, I have it here now so I may as well use it!
That sounds great. It's best to always find fun and happiness in everything you do in life. Life to too short to waste time being mad or sad. My kids and I find fun things to do everyday. I even try to make cleaning up fun for them and they really enjoy helping when I make a game of it.
@Fleura (6159)
You're right, you can find some fun in most things with the right company!
@Fleura That's very true.
Those space hoppers sound like a lot of fun. I don't know when the last time I laughed until my sides ached and my eyes watered. It's been quite a while. You're right. I need to do that more often as well.
@Fleura (6159)
Life's too short to be serious all the time!
@Fleura Yes, it is.
• Eugene, Oregon
I have seen those, but never tried one. Sounds like fun. I like to take fast walks for a mile or two enjoying the scenery and birds. I also play ping pong three times a week with a group of eight to twelve people and we have a lot of fun.
@Fleura (6159)
I love Ping-Pong too! Good exercise and a lot of fun!
• Eugene, Oregon
@Fleura Good for the brain as well.
That is awesome. That is something that I would do. I love having fun and laughing out loud. Those are the best moments in life. Life is just too short not to have fun and enjoy all those silly moments. Being silly is what I do best!
@Fleura (6159)
You are so right. It's all the little things that make life worth living.
@Fleura I couldnt agree more!!
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
All of Mrs WorDazza's family used to hire bouncy castles for the kids' birthday parties. We always kicked the kids off for a while and jumped on ourselves. I actually think the kids found it more entertaining watching us than being on it themselves.
@Fleura (6159)
That sounds like a great idea - in fact maybe I should get one next time I have a party!
I agree! People need to find the time to have some fun. Put down the phones, get off the computer, or turn off the tv and find something fun to do that makes memories!
@Fleura (6159)
You're right - one of my best memories is of me, my Dad (in his 90s) and my daughter (aged about 5). My Dad had found an old hockey stick in the garage and gave it to my daughter to knock a ball around the garden - then he joined in with his walking stick held upside-down, and I grabbed an umbrella with a curved handle and we had a sort of impromptu game of improvised hockey, it was hilarious!
Things happen and we get busy with work. But it's a good idea to take time out for fun. I like doing what I want on the weekends. And we watch comedy shows too to relax and just take it easy and enjoy the weekends.
@bluesa (12710)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I can't remember the last time that I laughed like that. Even with friends we're all dealing with so much that it is serious conversations. I have grinned recently, but not a belly laugh. Great you have the space hoppers to stay fit and have a good laugh. :)
@shivamani10 (10640)
• Hyderabad, India
Yes.I agree.But they enjoyed the maximum with all the things and comforts they had. They enjoyed everything which nobody in the present generation had enjoyed.Except those with sophisticated technology. Did you enjoy skipping? Have you competed with ladies in Skipping? I did and even won the races many times pushing the ladies behind.