They had to tear up a good part of their yard

@LeaPea2417 (19806)
Toccoa, Georgia
My next door neighbor had a septic tank problem a couple of weeks ago, and a new septic tank was put in. That required a lot of digging in their yard. Just when she thought all was good , then she gets a 200 dollar water bill which is way more than anyone in this neighborhood pays monthly! It was determined that when the new septic tank was put in, that somehow her water main pipe got a hole in it somehow and extra water was leaking but it was hard to find exactly where it was leaking. Yesterday, the water company was out here with one of those small bulldozers tearing up the yard. They found the leak and replaced the pipe. Now the area is closed back up with grass seed and hay on top. Her yard looks much better. But, I am wondering, will she have to pay the 200 dollar water bill since it was not her fault that the water pipe got a leak?
• Riga, Latvia
That is a good question. Actually she should not have to pay since it was not her fault. We have water counters in the basement to determine how much we have to pay for water. My water counter made a mistake or got stuck for awhile I have no idea which but when I sent them the numbers on the counter in September they did some checking and I didn't have to pay a cent because they had charged me too much the month before. They said that the counter had some sort of fault. So they came to change it and discovered that it had a faulty part or something so right now you cannot turn off the water in the house if needed. They told me to wait until spring to get it fixed and send them another reading in December. if I get lucky maybe I won't have to pary for water until the new year.
@LeaPea2417 (19806)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I hope you wont have to pay it til the New Year.
Something similar happened in our old house and we did not have to pay the extra but I know everywhere is different. I hope she doesn't because that's really not fair.
@LeaPea2417 (19806)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I agree, it will be really unfair if she has to pay it.
@YrNemo (11747)
I hope she could lodge a complaint or something. In her case, perhaps the septic tank people was the one who was at fault here.
@LeaPea2417 (19806)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It does seem like the septic tank installers created the problem.
I wish her luck. You would hope she wouldn't have to pay the bill but who knows with these departments?
@LeaPea2417 (19806)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I hope she doesn't have to pay it.
• Rochester, New York
I do hope she fights that bill. It's not her fault there was a leak in the pipe.
@LeaPea2417 (19806)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I agree, I would fight it.
I am not sure if she will have to pay the bill. I would think whoever installed the tank, pipes and all, would be responsible for the water bill.
@LeaPea2417 (19806)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is what I am thinking.