Overpaying for apple juice and finding twenty five cents

This week, on the way to my temp job in the city, I had a craving for some apple juice. I went to a nearby place and bought a small bottle of Martinelli apple juice. It's my favorite juice because it is made from 100% fresh pressed apples instead of concentrate. There was no price tag on the bottle but I decided to take my chances, thinking it couldn't be more than $2. When I got to the register it ended up costing me $2.75. I usually get it at Whole Foods Market for under $2. That's much more than I usually get it for, but I made an exception because I was really craving for apple juice and this is a great one. Yesterday, I was craving for apple juice again. I couldn't remember where I got the Martinellli apple juice, nor did I want to spend that much money, so I stopped by a salad bar that was on the way to work. They didn't have this brand of apple juice but had the Tropicana brand apple orchard style. Again there was no price tag on the bottle. I took it to the register thinking that even if it was over $2 it had to be less than $2.75. I was in shock when the total displayed was $2.99. I got the juice because I really wanted it and didn't want to waste time going to other places in search of a cheaper one. Still, I was upset at such an expensive price for a small bottle of juice, especially one that was made from concentrate. Why the heck is apple juice so expensive? I could buy a huge bottle of juice for around $3 and change at a supermarket. I couldn't believe I had spent almost three bucks for apple juice. And I was thinking about that as I was heaving to the subway after work. Then something unexpected happened. When got onto the train platform to wait for my train I noticed a quarter lying on the ground next to my feet. I picked it up and put in my pocket. It's like I had gotten back the twenty five cents I had overpaid for the apple juice earlier. So, the juice ended up costing me $2.74 instead of $2.99. That made me very happy, though even $2.74 is an expensive price to pay for a small bottle of juice.
Prices are going up everywhere
Sure seems that way. I have a local food store near my house and their prices always fluctuate, which I hate.
@lovebuglena They always go up.
@marguicha At my local store they go up and down all the time. You can buy something one day and come back the next and that same item will have a different price.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I buy apple juice at work. We carry Martinrllis and Donald Duck brands and there a dollar a piece
I never heard of Donald Duck brand apple juice. How does it taste?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@lovebuglena like apples
@thislittlepennyearns I know that . But is it very sweet/? Or tart? Watered down? etc. is what I meant.
I just read a discussion about karma. Maybe the gods felt sorry for you. I agree that is a lot for a bottle of juice.
I was surprised no one had snatched it up.
You pay more for items at convenience and mom and pop stores.
True. I bought the juice in Manhattan, so I can understand prices being a bit higher than somewhere else. But then I guess it depends on where in Manhattan you are as well.
Well, finding that quarter sure made paying a bit too much for the apple juice a little bit better.
Definitely! At least I had the cash to buy that $3 juice. If I didn't I'd have to get something else to total up to $5 because that's the minimum to use a credit card there. I hate it when stores/places have minimums in order to use a card. Sure $5 is not a high minimum but I shouldn't have to get other things that I don't need just to get to $5, if I want to buy that under $5 item.
Ouch...
I second that! I shouldn't have gotten that $3 juice out of principle. It just happened that I had cash on me. I wouldn't be able to buy it otherwise because to charge stuff there you need a minimum of $5.