The spirit of Christmas.

Chile
A long time ago, before a lot of bad things happened to us as a family, we had Christmas at my home. We would have a real tree with all the ornaments that we had done over the years plus some boughten ones for the elegance. The children would sing carols (villancicos) and then, after a tea time with cake and sandwichs, they would sing Noche de Paz (Silent Night) and the presents would be handed to each of them. My last Christmas was 17 years ago. I was just a widow and Tomás, my grandson, had been diagnosed with a very aggressive type of cancer. I call that Christmas "Tomás Christmas". We all gave him gifts beyond our means. He sang with the rest of the children and was elated with his gifts. The next year we did not have Tomás. But my daughters said it would not be fair to leave the other children without a Christmas. So we bought gifts and Christmas was celebrated in Claudia´s house. It was not the same and Claudia and I hid to cry a bit taking care that Carolina did not see us. Every Christmas I remember my little boy. And every Christmas we celebrate Christmas at what would have been his house, had he lived. I´m the old lady in charge of placing the wrappers in a bag. And I sing with them before the presents are given. And tell my grandchildren that Christmas is about love. Merry Christmas!!!
It must be very difficult. I agree Christmas is about love.
We never buy lots of expensive presents. But we are happy with our gifts.
@marguicha that is the way we do it too
@Happy2BeMe I always give apricot jam for all my grown up friends.
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you have some good with your Christmas, and month.
My memory of Tomás is not only of loss. I feel blessed to have had him for 7 years.
@marguicha oh I'm sure. Which is good.
@Courtlynn Our loved ones stay alive in our memory.
Thank you for the good wishes. Christmas must be a bitter sweet day for you and your family. We lost a great nephew to a brain tumour some years ago now. I know he is never far from his parents' thoughts.
Tomás´ cancer was in his brain too. I still remember my little boy.
@marguicha You don't ever forget the little children who get taken so young.
@JudyEv True. And one of my pet charities is always money for hospitals with children with cancer.
@jobelbojel (5148)
This touched my heart. I remember my mother, it would be nice to celebrate Christmas with my mother.
Maybe if you shut your eyes for a while, you will have her near you again.
• Makati, Philippines
So sad but meaningful Christmas day to remember.
When our loved ones have left us, there are bittersweet memories left.
I lost my brother after the New Year, on the 5th of Jan of 1999...and before that happened we used to have a very festive Christmas and New Year celebrations...but for almost 10 years after that the festivities were muted...it took everyone a long time to get over his passing because he was the baby of our family, and with family I mean like the whole extended family with our grandparents down to our nieces and nephews...my mother is the youngest of 12 siblings we were very close...but change is inevitable but it’s important to let each other know that the love will always be which will stay constant...
True. We went on with the festivities because we thought it was not fair for the rest of the kids. Carolina (Tomás sister) Was only 9 then.
@Srbageldog (5635)
This brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry for your loss. You are right, Christmas is about love. Through your love, you keep Tomas's memory alive.
You are right. Tomás will live as long as he is in our memory.
@Morleyhunt (16761)
Christmas is bittersweet for many people. We tend to remember those who are not with us any longer. Thank you for the good wishes. I hope you have a blessed Christmas season....sharing the love. The video I posted yesterday is about that love.
Thank you. I will check your video.
@Santosvb (11)
• Jamaica
Merry Christmas to you too, very heartening story, I have great Christmas memories too, from a very traditional family but I must say that the value of this holiday is decreasing with time, I get nostalgic every Christmas nowadays because it was different, more fun and tradition back in the day.
It is our job to make Christmas a wonderful holiday. And that does not mean lots of expensive presents.
@YrNemo (8724)
Now it is my turn to cry a bit reading this post of yours... Must be partly because of the gloomy weather we are having here. How old would your grandson be if he was still alive? Didn't know that you have lost your husband that long. I thought he just passed away a few couple of years ago max. (Tomas has been with his grandpa 16 years.)
Tomás would be a young man now. He would have been 25. On the last week he was conscious he told me he wanted to be an entomologist. Maybe he is, in another world.
@YrNemo (8724)
@marguicha It breaks my heart to see young lives cut short. My kids have some classmates who are not well. One is in and out of hospitals constantly with cancer (a very intelligent young man). The other has asthma and whatever else, even though he looks very healthy and big/giant.
@YrNemo I think that it is not fair.
@rubyriaz007 (2564)
Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Enjoy the Christmas and new year with your children and grand children.Have a nice time with your family.
Thank you.
@marguicha You are most welcome.
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
That Christmas with Tomas was remarkable, to see the smile on his beautiful face! And yes, Christmas has always been about 'love' and nothing less!
I´ll always remember him.
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@marguicha And little Tomas is in heaven, some day you will see him again:)
Yes it is a joyous season that is celebrated and made of love, you are wonderful to keep Thomas in your heart and demonstrate to the rest of the family that he is never to be forgotten ! Merry Christmas to you and the family Marguicha
sorry about the loss of youre grandchild. how old is he? yes its so sad to lost a loved one especially you will miss their presence every holiday season