Common Sense

There's a commercial that comes on the radio and it goes something like this Ring...Ring...Ring... Hello? Yes this is common sense calling Oh common sense I was hoping you'd call.... The commercial is for some car dealership and how wise it would be to use common sense and buy at their place. It got me thinking how nice it would be if common sense really could call when we are in a quandary or heading down the wrong path. Of course that's not realistic and we probably wouldn't be where we are today if we didn't have our past mistakes to learn from. I happened to be married to someone (many years ago) who had no common sense. He was very book smart but when it came to common sense he came up short. Do you have common sense?
I think I do, or am I just an idiot and think I have this sense?
I appreciate that conundrum. I know a few people who think they are really smart and regularly comment about the lack of sense displayed by others....and then proceed to make really, REALLY dumb life-choices. Is that me as well?
• Midland, Michigan
@Platespinner As I told Marilyn in my response, I believe that our common sense is related to our experiences in life. That is why we see people and think they have none whereas they just are missing it related to what we see at that time, but possibly have it in other circumstances.
Actually, common sense is the first quality that my husband noticed in me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think it's a good attribute to possess.
No I do not.If I did.I would be very boring
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh yes tons of common sense as I see it..I have to or I would never have survived haha
@vandana7 (57494)
Shhhh....somebody will steal it.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@vandana7 Never
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't - but I have survived thus far.
@vandana7 (57494)
Mine too.....the common sense is very much there, but sometimes the need to just get the situation out of way VERY FAST, defeats it.
I believe I do have common sense in practical matters of life. Of course, everyone, I suppose will have a time or two when common sense flies right out the widow, but as you said, the result of not using common sense often has a lesson that is of value.
I think that's probably normal, Albert Einstein is reputed as having no common sense whatsoever .... of course I do not know that first hand but I recall a TV interview they did of him where he refused to kill the ant that was biting him, in fact he wouldn't even remove it from his person ...... yeah, I draw the line there, if an insect is biten me I'm killin it if I can
I hope to have common sense, according to my friends and family this is the case.
I think we have it in spades (but perhaps I'm mistaken). There was a lot of it around when we were growing up.
@vandana7 (57494)
That certainly was not yours ...when you were growing up I mean...
• Pleasant Hill, California
I do have common sense. When something needs to be done, I get it done. When something is too "iffy" for me to handle by myself (like gluing down the binding that's coming up on my Martin D-18 guitar), I call an expert.
@vandana7 (57494)
Now I know who stole mine...sigh.
@FourWalls (10011)
I think we all would like to think we have common sense. I see vast gaps in the “common sense” landscape, though, as if people changed their phone numbers and didn’t let common sense know about the update.
• Pleasant Hill, California
For some reason, that example made me chuckle.
• Riga, Latvia
I would like to thing that I have common sense. I always can take very good care of myself.
Yes I think that I do. And I do use that expression, what happened to common sense.
• Denmark
That's funny. I've recently written a post on the topic common sense and its lack on myLot - at least in many cases.
Common sense is my specialty.
@Raelove (15525)
• Saco, Maine
I have so much common sense, I'm boring. Ask anyone who has ever run a stupid idea by me!
@sallypup (21924)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I sure aim for common sense. There are times when I fall short but I give it a go.
• Derby, England
I think I have and get very frustrated when people seem to lack that basic quality .. lacking that are bad manners are my bugbear
that would be so creepy. LOL
Yes. Thankfully.