Will you support a friend's music?

Pleasant Hill, California
This is a song by a buddy of mine. He happens to be the fella who has recorded my music in his garage. Many of you are familiar with our recordings. Vanny and DJ, from MyLot, have turned them into YouTube videos. He's in the right in the photo, on guitar. I'm in the back, on bass. The photo is of our band, the Diablo Rhythm Wranglers, playing a Farmer's Market in Walnut Creek CA. I think he may have written this song, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure he plays all the instruments. If you're in the mood to support acoustic music, slap a like and a comment on it!
@crossbones27 (15153)
• Redlands, California
To me best kind of music. People want all this well known stuff, but the true music is the people that are not in the lime light or not in the lime light yet,.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree. Homegrown music is the best. Is has a soul to it that "American Idol" style music can't quite capture. My friend is from Seattle WA, and I can feel his love for the Northwest in a lot of his music.
• Redlands, California
@TheHorse Strong area, think alot of why some do not get recognized anymore. Is no reputable places endorsing this homegrown music. Such a shame. They want the stuff that sells now, but doing a disservice to culture, to people and this is how we end up with Trump as a president. I know people hate when I talk like that but think about it and then crucify me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@crossbones27 I think it's true. America has been dummied down to reality shows, chain restaurants, bad music (or "music," as in the case of rap), lowered school standards, and a host of other problems. And now we have Donald Trump as president of the United States. If there is a God, he or she is laughing at the US right now.
I had a friend that had is own band and his wife was the singer. I supported his band. They were all good.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoy supporting local talent. There are a lot of good musicians here in the Bay Area. But acoustic music isn't as "loud" and "catchy" as poorly played rock 'n roll (or other kinds of music) at high volume. I try to support local folk and jazz music as much as I can.
I've been there, done that. It's a great song and love the guitar work.
• Pleasant Hill, California
You're around good musicians all the time! And I'm sure I'd enjoy discussing bass with your son. In fact, I'm on the market for a cheap electric (I play mostly upright), and may head back to Guitar Center tonight to play a couple of under $250 electric bass guitars.
@TheHorse I meant been there, done that as in liking and commenting on the YouTube clip. Our son started off with an electric bass but really wanted and needed an upright for his jazz studies. We gave him an upper limit dollar wise and very quite excited for him but he took forever to choose an instrument. I thought he was never going to make up his mind! The bass he eventually chose is still in our lounge room. We told him it was 'ours' so he didn't have to worry about selling it later or taking it to England.
@vandana7 (57518)
Yes, guitar has played a charming role in this song.
@FourWalls (10070)
You had me at “save us from Justin Bieber.” That has a nice feel to it, a little on the “island” side but not so much that it sound Jimmy Buffett-y. He has a good voice, too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
He does. He also does Western Swing tunes really well, and has shown me several Western Swing chords. I'll tell him I wish there'd been a bridge, just to mix it up. He can handle it. We discuss our music all the time. He and I are working on some Gordon Lightfoot tunes, as we both love Lightfoot.
I've posted many a video of bands I have worked with, and I buy their cd's and albums and t-shirts.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Feel free to provide a link to a favorite. I like supporting other music people, even if I don't know them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JolietJake Vanny would sh*t. It sounds like they put some thought into the lyrics, but I can't understand half of them. Vanny's always jumping on me for lyrics that are hard do understand. I slapped a like on it.
All the time.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's fun to play with people who have talent. I feel honored.
@TheHorse It's such a blessing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@TheInvisibleMan Have you seen my stuff? I'm actually half way decent!
@Platespinner (18577)
I enjoyed that. It reminded me a little of Gordon Lightfoot.
• Pleasant Hill, California
He and I both like Gordon Lightfoot.
@vandana7 (57518)
The tune is good...innovative, catches attention. But words are mumbled, and well, I can't get the words...Sorry... And oh the singing...good too IN PARTS. LOL. Voice..you stand heads and shoulders above.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree that words would have been helpful.
@peachpurple (10708)
You play that big guitar called bass?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, I play the bass. Sometimes I play guitar. Bass lays the "foundation" down for the music. Michael went without bass of his song. On this track, I play both (through the miracle of overdubbing) bass and guitar. Can you hear how the bass provides a "foundation" to the music?
Like and Subscribe for more songs and videos :)
@peachpurple (10708)
@TheHorse cool, you played bass since when?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@peachpurple I've been playing bass for about 10 years.
@DEMI12 (590)
• Guangdong, China
My husband plays guitar sometimes. I like to listen musics. so do your lives very different with us ?
• Pleasant Hill, California
What kinds of songs does he play?
@DEMI12 (590)
• Guangdong, China
@TheHorse did you ever heard of BEYOND Bond in hongkong ? the main person has passed away for many years, but many people at my age are always listening to their songs.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DEMI12 I have not heard of them. Are they good? What kind of music do they play?
• Eugene, Oregon
Nice tune! I liked the guitar work too. He sounds a bit like Gordon Lightfoot used to.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, he kind of idolizes Gordon Lightfoot. So do I, for that matter.
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse He was a great one, still is I guess.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JamesHxstatic Lightfoot sounds like he's handing "aging" well. He looks old now (too much drink and some health issues) but he still performs and jokes about not being the young stud he once was. I still listen to my old Lightfoot albums (on vinyl, of course) now and then.
His vocal style reminds me a little of Gordon Lightfoot. Pretty impressive guitar play, too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Several have said that. Lightfoot is one of his idols.
@TheHorse - It's the way he starts each line.
I'm always available to support a friend's musical aspirations.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Most of us here in the East Bay go hear each others' various bands at least some of the time. Sometimes we'll even throw a band together with members from various bands for a gig that comes up suddenly.
@LoriAMoore (10121)
Been supporting my professional musician's work all his life. Love musicians.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Who is that? Attach a link!
@TommyN (2)
• Manila, Philippines
For me this is the best kind of music because every word they sang comes from the heart not for the money and fame :D
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's true. There are many local musicians out there who lust love playing and don't care about "becoming big."
@Destesh (104)
• Kenya
I like it that you enjoy and embrace music
• Pleasant Hill, California
Playing music with friends is like having a converstion without words.
@ajralcid (17)
• Manila, Philippines
One of the things that I love about music is when my friends and I are able to learn a new genre.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. My Indian neighbor taught me about "Canatic" music. It's pretty cool.
@ajralcid (17)
• Manila, Philippines
As I have lot of friends who are also in line in music, and me as their friend, I should support them because that's one of the things I show my love for them and how I really treasure our friendship. I'm a part of the school band today and I am thankful that my friends are supporting me. They may not watch our performance everytime we will have one, I feel good and encouraged whenever they send me a message. :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I like it people support each others' pursuits.
I will hve to listen tomorrow when I am at the computer. Yes I have been around music all my life.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope you enjoy it. It's a simple song, but appealing in its simplicity.
I already do support a friend's music
• Pleasant Hill, California
Whose is that? Attach a link!