What to do when unexpected guests come to your home.

@sjvg1976 (14597)
Delhi, India
We were planning to go out with the kids but had to cancel it as some guests are coming to our home. It's upsetting as we had made a plan long back and now have to postpone it. Situation is such that I can't avoid the guests also. What would you do in such situation?
@vandana7 (57493)
I think we Indians need to learn some manners. Now, with cell phones and everything, the least people can do is, call up, find out if the person has other plans, and then ask if it would be ok to visit. It is not necessary that a person staying home does not have anything to do.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Oh yes...but still people want to give surprises. I remember once my wife went to her home without telling them just to give them surprise and found a lock on the gate and had to return back
@vandana7 (57493)
@sjvg1976 .. Those surprises are not good apparently. lol
@sjvg1976 (14597)
@vandana7 yes...I told her but she said she like to see the happiness that come on her face due to that surprise.
I wouldn't cancel unless it's an emergency visit, which it doesn't sound like it is
@sjvg1976 (14597)
It's not an emergency visit of theirs but they are coming from far just to meet us.
@vandana7 (57493)
I agree. Ironically, if the person was facing some emergency, he or she would have called because if Sanjeev could not have helped, they would have tried to contact some other relative or friend. Sigh.
@sjvg1976 that's their problem not yours. They should've called and made plans first. I would never cancel plans with my family because others want to be rude and inconsiderate
@shubhu3 (13571)
• New Delhi, India
Hahaha this happens with us too. Spontaneous shift needs to be done.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Hmm..That's right thing to do.
@shubhu3 (13571)
• New Delhi, India
@sjvg1976 Exactly.
@vandana7 (57493)
Kids would definitely be disappointed. One way to tell them they are not welcome is being ready and wearing shoes as they are in asking them to join as otherwise, kids would be too unhappy for an entire week.
It never happens atleast with us. As we always inform each other well in advance.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
So you want to say that it never happened with you in your life ever.
@sjvg1976 There could be situations when due t some urgency we may suddenly turn up. You are not talking of such instances I presume. With some it is a habit and I am sure you are referring to such cases.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
@allknowing no it was not an urgency. As my sis in law had to come so had to cancel my plan.
@ridingbet (37922)
hahah! i don't think we won't have visitors. it is because we have many dogs that bark at strangers.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Hehehe....May be people don't like to come to your home due to the dogs
@ridingbet (37922)
@sjvg1976 they are scared, because the barks of the dogs are 'ferocious'. but they are trained not to bite once we call out their names.
@lady1993 (15622)
I think I would rather hang out with my family instead.. Guests should call before going to your house anyway or maybe you can bring them with you if it is unavoidable?
@sjvg1976 (14597)
No i can't take them with me but I can't avoid them also so will have to cancel my plan to go out.
@lady1993 (15622)
@sjvg1976 that's too bad, let's just hope this does not happen in the near future
often love my unexpected guests so I have fun with them. I would not put off a plan for them though like something important. I would let them stay in my unit while I was gone.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Hmm..That's good thing you do
@shivamani10 (10686)
• Hyderabad, India
Immediately, I switch off my T.V and receive my guest. This is what most of the people lacking nowadays. They keep it on and will be seeing the T.V after receiving the guest after a formal chat.This should never be there.I will ask my guest also whether he is interested in the programme on the t.V or not.If he is not I switch it off. If he ask for T.V I will definitely switch it on.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Yes we should do like this. We must respect our guests.
@peachpurple (10991)
I hate that, but you can't shoo them away, right?
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Absolutely. You can't neglect them at all.
@rubyriaz007 (2507)
I think if it is a weekend and any of our guests have plans to visit us ,they should give us a call and ask if we have any plans for weekend as they are planning to visit us. If we have plans we can tell them that and they can avoid their visit.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Theoretical it should happen but it didn't happen today .
@ilocosboy (33280)
I don't know about the tradition in your place but you should have told it your guest that you are going for a vacation.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
No we don't do that in our country.
If the visit is from an important person who also values our importance then it’s best to cancel the trip.
@sjvg1976 (14597)
Yes that's why I have cancelled my plan.
@kiran8 (15237)
• Mangalore, India
This always happens with me and for those who come from far off placed I have no go but to accommodate them. I keep telling my relatives and friends to call me so that I am at home and free to receive them. Some f them.do when they are already close to my home , but most of friends call before coming. I feel that relatives tend to take you for granted and often feel it is ones duty to he hospitable no matter when and how they land up .
@mohit459 (2863)
• Haldwani, India
Ya many times!..
If I have plans I do not answer the phone and just go, let the machine get the message.
Sounds like there was nothing else you could do so I’d have likely done the same thing. I hate when people just show up without letting me know they are coming!
I would politely tell them no, but I understand that sometimes this isn't an option.
I won't turn up at a friend's home without first informing that friend well in advance. However, people do it all the time - just show up.
@nangayo (2305)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Its discouraging but i would just cancel my plans and receive them.
@Destesh (104)
• Kenya
If its a guest they should give a call early in advance to confirm if you are around. What if you were not there?? Or maybe you were to order food.... now you'll be forced to cook for them