Jewelry and Courting

@YrNemo (8678)
A family friend, an Italian 30ish guy (in IT) was seriously courting an Italian girl (a butterfly type, quite pretty, working in admin for some embassy). He bought her as gifts during this courting period, lots of gold jewelry. Seems as it is a custom among the Italians to court with jewelry. If the girl accepts the jewelry, it means she is accepting him. They were discussing wedding and where to live after their marriage, when suddenly the whole thing was off. She said she thought they were just friends. She didn't return the jewelry however. Should she if she has rejected the guy? --- Is jewelry involved in courtship where you live?
@ilocosboy (33294)
He he, she's after the jewelry and she just got one
@YrNemo (8678)
Not one piece, lots: bracelets, necklaces, rings, anklets, pendants, etc. (gold). She showed me some. He was very busy searching for more jewelry to buy her.
@YrNemo oh, i hope he didn't get into debt after all that
@YrNemo (8678)
@hereandthere That was just the beginning of his unlucky period! Soon after, he did some risky investment (we advised him NOT to do it) but he was in a strange mood after that breakup. Well, he lost 20 to 50 thousand dollars in one go. The poor guy. (He is quite OK financially. Just unlucky a bit!)
@topffer (30691)
• France
50% of couples never marry on this side of the Alps... An engagement ring is usually offered by the groom. For the rest, gifts are gifts, it would be more correct to send them back, but it is not mandatory.
@YrNemo (8678)
I know what you mean about 'gifts are gifts'. I have pretty relatives who happily pocketed all those wonderful gifts from admirers. Their argument was: 'hey, I didn't ask for them. He gave me. If I didn't accept those pretty things, he would likely give them away to someone else anyway.'
@topffer (30691)
• France
@YrNemo Yes, it is a matter of personal ethics, and it is an elastic notion.
@YrNemo (8678)
@topffer IF I were a man and had given some girls I loved some jewelry, it would be awkward to get the jewelry back anyway. UNLESS they were heirloom stuff.
@lady1993 (15616)
i think giving that is more appropriate when you are in a relationship already.. since it is very expensive... both parties should have clarified what they wanted form each other
@YrNemo (8678)
But he was courting her with the approval of their parents. Guess he was so sure of her? (They did talk about marriage and we were supposed to attend.) I feel terrible the fact that she smilingly said goodbye to him after getting lots of expensive stuff. That guy was unlucky.
@lady1993 (15616)
@YrNemo oh well, what goes around comes around..
@YrNemo (8678)
@lady1993 Sometimes that rule doesn't apply to some people. I have seen some who spent their whole life conning or using others. These bad people are enjoying their life even now, at the age of 80+, with lots of money to go here there everywhere for holiday. I heard them laughing chatting with each other, saying, there is no such thing as God or Karma!
@gullver (534)
• Egypt
Yes, here jewelry is a very important thing for marriage, and if something happened or in the case of divorce, she must return jewelry and many other things back
@YrNemo (8678)
But while courting prior to the marriage, is the guy supposed to give the girl heaps of gold jewelry?
@gullver (534)
• Egypt
@YrNemo No, this usually doesn't happen, but he give her other kinds of gifts
@YrNemo (8678)
@gullver Thanks for that.
It does sound as though she was leading him on. I never accepted jewelry from a friend.
@YrNemo (8678)
I avoid accepting expensive gifts from people in general, unless they come from my close family.
• Portland, Connecticut
Sounds like she was a gold digger literally. For a birthday or Christmas, a gift of jewelry could be acceptable from a friend but nothing else to my way of thinking.
@YrNemo (8678)
We are people with a strong sense of rights and wrongs .
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh boy, to me, accepting jewellery from a man is a big no no if you're just friends! If I know I think of a guy as just a friend I will not accept jewellery from him.
@YrNemo (8678)
Same here. I declined everything just to avoid trouble.
@shivamani10 (10764)
• Hyderabad, India
In India, after the both convey their acceptance there will be an exchange of some gold jewelry.This is a tradition for some families.
@YrNemo (8678)
So the future bride also gives the future groom some gold jewelry? I think that is very fair, but, men only wear thick necklaces, calculate the quantity of gold, then the bride's side makes a loss! (I am too calculating aren't I! )
@tzwrites (3814)
It seems like she used him, took the jewelry and probably has no intention of ever getting back together with him. She should have either rejected the gifts or returned some at least.
@PainsOnSlate (19223)
Jewelry was never involved with my courtships, the jewelry came came with the marriage.
@averygirl72 (14103)
She should return the jewelry but maybe she like to keep it but not the man. I think jewelry is not involve in courtship here maybe just flowers and chocolates
@ridingbet (38052)
giving of jewelry as gifts do not resume the guy is courting the lady. besides, the man should say to the lady that he is courting her.
@cahaya1983 (9662)
Wow, wouldn't that make it easy for girls to take advantage if it's a custom to court with jewelry? Jewelry is only given as engagement and wedding gifts here, not before.
I don't think she is obligated to give back the gifts but as soon as she had decided she wouldn't marry him she should have stopped accepting them. But maybe in his culture the gifts would be returned.
Jewelry is considered a gift. I'd feel funny accepting expensive jewelry from a "friend" and would return it. My sis in law's sister married an Italian ambassador. I wonder if she was courted with such jewelry? lol
• Marion, Kansas
If someone were buying me jewelry I would know they were more than just friends. However, if the jewelry is given as gifts, it is hers. An engagement ring, if given, I believe, should be returned if the marriage is cancelled.
@FayeHazel (11811)
Wow. I think I want an Italian boyfriend now. No jewelry custom here, other than promise rings, and then engagement/wedding rings I think he should have asked for it back.