Tourist destination: Ogilvie, MN

@FayeHazel (11533)
One of the most unique little places I know is Ogilvie MN. If you are in Central Minnesota I'd really like to recommend that you stop here. So little Ogilvie has around 350 for a population. I discovered it one day when I was bored and went for a drive. The first thing that caught my eye was a Pasty restaurant. This is a hard to find treat that is similar to a pot pie only a thousand times better. So I went in. It was totally delicious! And the interior of the place was charming. Crafts for sale and the most friendly restaurant owner ever. I loved it. So I left there and was going to leave on my way -- but I decided to look around the downtown. As expected - it was small. Some buildings didn't look open. But Ogilvie also featured a hardware store, a gas station, a few bars and (another) café. The post office had a ton of plants in the window. Their (old) water tower has some history to it. It looks like a castle tower and was put up in the 20s or 30s, being innovative at the time. What caught my eye was a music/antiques/jewelry outlet store. It was one of the most special places ever. The couple that owned it are so unique and kind and they have the coolest jewelry. I wonder what other small towns hide as special treasures like Ogilvie does. Article about Ogilvie:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Ogilvie, Minnesota City Motto: "We Are The Lions" Location of Ogilvie, Minnesota Coordinates: 45°49'53?N 93°25'25?W? / ?45.83139°N 93.42361°W? / 45.83139; -93.42361 Country United States Sta
I have found many small towns have unique little things like the world's largest teapot or something of historical note.
@FayeHazel (11533)
I love unique things like that. Would make a great coffee table book
• Marion, Kansas
I will have to write that down.We go to Minnesota at least once a year to see our daughter. Usually you find pastys in the UP of Michigan. It is a meal that the Welsh coal miners used to carry.
@FayeHazel (11533)
Oh cool! Small world. I hope you get to see it if it's in your path. Ogilvie is about 40 miles East of St.Cloud. I love pasties!
The place sounds wonderful. I like small towns, but I wouldn't ever want to live in one.
@FayeHazel (11533)
I love it! It was wonderfully quaint. I agree though -- the only way I could do it is if a bigger town were near
That is really a small town - I doubt that any crime needing police intervention is commited there.
@FayeHazel (11533)
That's a good point I wonder if there is any police department there lol
• Derby, England
We have found some lovely small towns when on our driving tours in the USA
@FayeHazel (11533)
There is just something so charming about small towns. What states did you see?
• Derby, England
@FayeHazel My husband has now visited every state. I am a few behind him. We have driven most of route 66 but not all in one go. We have also driven the Great River road from Minneapolis to the start of the great Mississippi where we walked over it!!
@FayeHazel (11533)
@catsholiday That's amazing! I always did want to do the Route 66 thing. I've never seen the boundary waters for the Mississippi, maybe I will start there. That is great you've gotten to see so much :-)
Travelling through France we chanced upon some incredible shops in some of the tiniest villages. It was those sorts of finds that made our trip so special.
@FayeHazel (11533)
That's interesting now that you mention it - it does seem like sometimes the smallest / least planned portions of events are the most rewarding
@FayeHazel We had quite a few of those and relished each one.
@FayeHazel (11533)
@JudyEv It's like finding hidden treasure
I've been to most states, but never MN. Sounds great!
@FayeHazel (11533)
Oh cool - perhaps MN will become a travel goal? If so, I'd love to meet you
@FayeHazel I would definitely let you know if we visit. I'd love to meet you, too, and hear you sing and belly dance!!! lol
@FayeHazel (11533)
@DianneN Awesome! I would love to belly dance for / with you :-)
It sounds like a good place to visit.
@FayeHazel (11533)
A fun hidden treasure
@FayeHazel Sounds like it.
Only 350 people. Wow!
@FayeHazel (11533)
Tiny! But I grew up outside of a town of 170, lol
@FayeHazel oh jeez
I do love wandering around tiny towns. When I substitute teach in a small town I wander through the shops after school. I found the little shop in one little town bakes the best bread and buns around. Found a great butcher in another little town.
@FayeHazel (11533)
I love finding hidden treasures like that
That town does sound like a lovely place to spend some time.
@FayeHazel (11533)
It's this amazing hidden treasure
• Lakewood, Colorado
Sounds so lovely Faye.
@FayeHazel (11533)
It really is charming
@tzwrites (3806)
Some small towns have so much charm and there is a special atmosphere there.
@FayeHazel (11533)
Just something so special about it :-)
@LoriAMoore (9949)
I'd like to live in a small town like that.
@FayeHazel (11533)
Funny you mention - because as I was visiting with people at the restaurant and at the guitar center -- both of those people had come from different areas / weren't raised there. :-)