I was about to go all home alone on this mouse

My cat is old and doesn't catch mice any longer. I tried a live trap a few times but the mice escaped somehow so I had resort to buying mouse traps. For three days I caught one each day. Then for 6 days one kept eating the peanut butter but escaping the trap. I bought 4 new traps and was going to put them all around each other. If you ever watched the movie "Home Alone" you know what I am picturing. I went down to set them all up and could not find the empty trap where it had been. I started thinking how smart this mouse was to carry the trap away so it couldn't be used anymore. Then I realized that wasn't very likely and got searching around with a flashlight to find it. It had gotten its tail caught in the trap and fallen about 4 1/2 feet. It was still alive but not much. I pried the trap open and got the mouse out and put it outside away from the house. I couldn't bring myself to kill it so I hope it either dies fast or was just stunned from the fall and scampered off after. I felt sick over this for hours after.
How awful to go through that. Imagine how sick I get when Doodles catches a mouse and brings it to me. He actually crunched through one and I wretched. Now, I've taught him to let it go sonit can see it's mommy, daddy, grammy, and grampy. Would you believe he listens to me? He even did it with a chipmunk! First, I have to tell him thankyou and that he's a good boy. lol
Wow what a smart cat to listen to what you tell it. That goes against their natural hunting instincts so that shows how much he loves and respects you! I set three traps tonight all in a square where it would get trapped in but somehow it ate the peanut butter and didn’t get caught
@shaggin He is so smart. My husband wants to know if you are setting the traps correctly. How far down does it eat the peanut butter?
@DianneN my boyfriend said they must be babies to get in and out without setting the trap. The one that had the tail pinch stole the peanut butter for days and he wasn’t a baby so I don’t know. They do not leave any trace of peanut butter on the trap but then when I try to put more on I snap my fingers lol
@DaddyEvil (22403)
Uhm... unless you put the mouse close enough to another house that it could get into it, it will come right back to your house and you will have to trap it again, Shaggin. You should have flushed it. That's what I do with them.
I thought about it to kill it but I figured him drowning is just as sad as me dropping a heavy rock on it. I felt putting him outside gave it a chance to survive which is what I would have done if the live traps had worked. If it was not dark outside I would have walked it farther away but I just took it outside as far as I could get with the light from the moon and streetlight. 100 feet maybe.
@DaddyEvil (22403)
@shaggin If it received no other injuries than a crimped tail, then it will ne back in your house again as quickly as it can get there. I don't like to kill mice, either... I just don't want to share my home with them.
@DaddyEvil Yep well he is back or there are still more. Moving to three traps tonight as it stole the peanut butter off the two I set last night
Oh I'm sorry, I wouldn't have been able to kill it either. Hopefully it was just shocked and did run away.
My boyfriend told me to kill it but I couldn't. I wanted to give it a chance to scamper off and live in case it was just stunned. It was only pinched on the tail so I think it could survive.
@shaggin Hopefully it did run away.
@bunnybon7 (33092)
• Holiday, Florida
@shaggin why did he not go do something with it?
Once mice get in the house they can be really hard to get rid of. Unless we leave a door open they can't get in our house thank goodness.
Your house must be really mice proofed. Everyone around here gets mice. My one part of the cellar is dirt so they can easily get in.
@shaggin It is now 13 years old but all the doors fit well, etc.
@JudyEv my house was originally much smaller and was a place where the men who worker at the creamery stayed. That original part is well over 100 years old. The rest I'm not sure when it was built but I know it was before the 40s when my grandfather bought it. At some point they picked the house up and moved it back away from where it sat along the road. You can see where the foundation is different and why half sits on a dirt floor instead of cement.
I understand very well, I cannot kill animals, not even the rats.
I feel bad using the mouse traps and killing them but I can't stand them running around ruining my house.
@shaggin If there were several it's the only way to go. Mice and rats are more smart than we think.
@LadyDuck I reset the trap last night and threres no peanut butter on it again ughh so theres still more mice after the 4 I've already caught.
some do and some do not.I put peanut butter has success with t his.
I always use peanut butter. This time I dribbled seeds all around it and he still didn’t set off the trap. Go figure when it was set with no food on it at all that it finally got him.
@shaggin there you go.Mike got on in the cellar today.They seem to come in when the weather turn
@amadeo Yep when the weather gets cold here they start coming in. I rebaited the trap a few hours ago because where there’s one (in my case 4 now) there will be more.
@Destesh (104)
• Kenya
This just shows how human you are
Thinking about it today is making me sad again especially since I reset the trap again last night and the peanut butter was stolen. I hope when this mouse is caught it won’t suffer.
You're telling me that they like peanut butter this whole time? omg I've been attempting to capture them easy. I'm going to buy peanut butter, let see what happens.
How were you attempting to catch them? My boyfriend and father always use peanut butter instead of cheese. They can grab the cheese and run off but they have to sit and lick at the peanut butter to get it all so they are more likely to set the trap off.
@cahaya1983 (9643)
The fall must have hurt the mouse. I don't like them but I certainly wouldn't be able to kill a mouse either.
They are adorable it was sad to see him still alive in the trap. I’m hoping it just was stunned and ran off after I let it out of the trap.
@bunnybon7 (33092)
• Holiday, Florida
it is a terrible problem. we had one (maybe more) last year and i think it was a rat but everyone else said no it was a mouse. i remember one night the women, daughter and grand daughter in law, screaming in the kitchen. they had put one in the bottom drawer of the oven where for some strange reason it had been hanging out. who knows where it went when oven was on. it was stuck behind the drawer some how and grandson just came and took it outside. haven't seen one since. but it is a tough thing for us soft hearted ladies/girls that hate to kill it but can't tolerate it either
I feel terrible using the traps to kill them but can't stand them running around in my house. They breed fast and make a gross mess. My parents had a rat in their house once. I was shocked because I didn't even know we had them around here.
I hope you know I am not in any way being rude. I was infested with mice and trust me I am not one for such happenings.I got the building dept on the case and the landlord was shut the Hell down. everyone had to move out. I would say please go to the hardware store and buy a huge bag of poison. put it be hind your stove and behind your couch. You might think it's funny but that is nasty. They carry all kinds of stuff. I had rats in one unit. I went the hell off. I called every county office I could get to listen. oh the owner was out of his mind pissed. The building was shut down. The building was then sold and redone. Everyone was very happy but it was only me and my big mouth that got it done. If you buy oil of peppermint and soak cotton balls they will die and you not smell them. I am only imagining you sleeping in a home with that going on. You food is not safe. not even your stored dishes. Some people have no idea how gross they truly are. and once again I am not in any way being rude.You might not know either. good luck. oh if you cna't get poison buy a huge can of blackpepper. pour it behind your stove they don't like pepper either.
@CinnamonGrl (5802)
• Paradise, California
Did you see the movie "Mouse Trap"? Pretty funny one. I'm not sure I would have killed the mouse either. You're absolutely right it could have been stunned. I've seen birds fly into windows or animals sustain other injuries, sit there stunned and then suddenly take off.
I don't think its tail being pinched could cause it to die so I'm hoping it was just stunned from the fall. I feel terrible if it suffered but hopefully it scampered off after I left. I don't think I've ever watched Mouse Trap.
@dodoazo (11251)
You have a lots of company in your house. May I lend you our pet cat, Garfol. He is a mouse good and clever catcher. Our grandson caught Garfol in a video catching a rat passing our sala in the broad daylight. Garfol caught or snapped it right away,.
My cat used to be such a good hunter in our home but now she just sleeps all the time. She's 15.