The Horse is Sick Today

Pleasant Hill, California
Have you ever taken a sick day off from work when you weren't really sick? I'm doing that this afternoon at my job with the poor kids. I have a meeting related to my morning Berkeley job at 6 PM this evening, and that's when I'm generally out with an afternoon kid client. I'll use the time between 2:30 PM and 6 PM to "test drive" a bass guitar at Guitar Center in Emeryville, which is on the Oakland/Berkeley border. Do you use the term "mental health day" when you take a sick day just to regroup?
• Denmark
I learnt about mental health days from a friend who used to teach the children of American soldiers stationed in Germany. I took some during my active teaching time. But I always checked first that not too many colleagues would suffer from my day off. The problem is that one has to stay at home. One can't call in sick and then frolic outside.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's usually the case! At my current afternoon job, I'm rarely sick, so I can just be honest with my supervisor.
I never took sick days, even when I was sick. Being a computer "doctor", it was nearly impossible for me to sit in home with all kinds of phone calls about how much I'm needed ASAP. But I can understand how important mental health days can be. Good to know you're not really sick. Good luck with your bass guitar testing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thank you! Yes, when people need their computer fixed, they need it yesterday!
Sometimes you just need to. I hope it all goes well.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I had an evening meeting relating to my morning job, so I really didn't have time to see a kid client. I used my afternoon down time test driving a bass and having a nice fella slightly adjust my guitar.
@Madshadi (4749)
• Brussels, Belgium
With my job it is very hard to take a sick leave. Even when I’m sick I try to go to work.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What is your job?
@Madshadi (4749)
• Brussels, Belgium
@TheHorse swimming teacher. I have about 100 kids in my classes. Can't miss those classes unless it is something really urgent. Then the process to make-up those classes would be very complicated.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Madshadi Ah, got it. I'm the same with teaching at the College.
My moms used sick days when she hasnt been sick but because she was running out of time to use them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, that's my situation. I'm leaving that job in January.
@TheHorse ooh. Won't you miss it
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Courtlynn Tes, but my morning job with the littlies is more fun. As traffic gets worse and worse here in the bay Area, I find myself getting frustrating with the time spent driving to get to the afternoon clients. I'll miss the kids, though, and hey, they were free hiking partners!
@BarBaraPrz (17542)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Too bad that you have to use up a sick day when you're not sick. Hope you have plenty left should you actually be sick. Saying that, yes, I seem to take a day off after visiting for a few days with my gal pal.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. This job will be ending at the end of December. I have something like 150 sick hours save up. So in theory, I could never go to work again and get paid the same.
@BarBaraPrz (17542)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse Lucky you!
@LeaPea2417 (15331)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have not done that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll probably do it again next week. I have about 160 sick hours, and the job ends Jan 1.
I have taken a "mental health day" to get myself back on track.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think it's...well...healthy, now and then.
@CinnamonGrl (5812)
• Paradise, California
That picture is beautiful! Yeh, I used to take a day off once in awhile . But I worked for the government for a long time, and eventually I had so many days off coming they started making me take days off, lol.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, it was like that for me in Oakland. Once my sick days would max out, I was able to give half of them them to someone who was really sick or pregnant.
@ptrikha_2 (5787)
Sometimes, we feel like taking a genuine break. So did this break helped you?
• Pleasant Hill, California
It was a good day overall. I did some guitar and bass stuff between my morning job and evening meeting.
@Fleura (6198)
No, never done either of those. One of my work colleagues used to say he was suffering from 'heavy duvet syndrome' when he was late for work, that made me smile : )
• Pleasant Hill, California
Duvet?
@Fleura (6198)
@TheHorse A bit of research seems to suggest that a similar American item might be a comforter?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Fleura I have a good one on my bed.
I sometimes took half days to wash the ponies for a competition but mostly I asked first and made up the hours before and after. I had a very good boss who didn't mind letting me juggle hours in this way.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Mine is the same. I just tell her when it's really a "mental health" day. In that job I determine my own schedule.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I can't do that during holidays. A downfall of retail.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, that's true. Retail would be a whole other thing.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@TheHorse Hopefully after the first of the year I'll start my training for higher up on the food chain. If what I'm hearing is true.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
I have taken sick days when I wasn't sick. I used to work for the State of Illinois and you earned many holidays that you could never get approved off, so the only other option was to use sick days. So I did. My hubby also worked for the State of Illinois and when he retired he had 101 sick days on the books. Thankfully he got paid for those.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wish we got paid for our sick days. I'll be leaving the afternoon job in January. I could buy a new fancy guitar!
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
@TheHorse He actually took a leave of absence and got paid for 6 months before he actually retired, he had vacation days and holidays on the books added up to 6 months full pay so that was cool.
@lady1993 (15642)
yeah, sometimes.. i try not to do it anymore though. But sometimes i just have no task to do, that it is better to just stay at home
• Pleasant Hill, California
Today was one of those days where I worked both jobs and also completed an exam for my third job (teaching). I got up at 6 AM and am still working (progress notes) and 10:30 PM, but I will rest soon. I actually have time to do some sanding on the amplifier case (home project) tonight if I choose to.
Heck yeah, I used to take "sick" days all the time. I'd play golf, ride my bike, hang out in bars. Much more fun than work.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, that's what we call "mental health days."
@FourWalls (9981)
I have the "perfect" job: it's part time, and the boss is very understanding about things. As long as the work gets done he doesn't care. In fact, I'm going to work Sunday, then take Monday and Tuesday off to go to Chicago for a concert. If any of us need a "mental health day" he has no objections. I'm truly blessed to have a boss like that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm pretty much in that situation as well right now.