Endangered Species--2--Grévy's (Imperial) zebra

I think Grévy's zebras are beautiful, and I can't believe they may become extinct one day. There are three types of zebras, and Grévy's are the only one that's endangered, though one other is vulnerable. Here are eight facts about this lovely animal in no particular order: 8. They live 20 years 7. They can run 40 mph. 6. Since 1970, there has been a 75% decline in population. 5. They live mainly in Kenya and Ethiopia. 4. No two zebras have the same stripes. (I'm sure most people know this, but some may not). 3. They can go 5 days without water. I thought this was amazing until I looked up the length camels can survive without water, and that is 6 months. 2. There are only 3,000 of these beautiful animals left in the world, though Wikipedia states the population has become more stable, which I assume means they are keeping up their numbers. 1. The female gestation is 390 days until the sweet foal is born. Most of these facts were found on Wikipedia. Here are two sites to help or learn more facts: http://www.awf.org/wildlife-conservation/grevys-zebra http://www.grevyszebratrust.org/ The photo is free to use: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Zebra_Equus_Grevyi_1.jpg
A short documentary about conserving the Grevy's Zebra featuring the work of Belinda Low and the Grevy's Zebra Trust
What are the reasons they are endangered?
It's mainly where they live. The locals are raising more and more cattle, which is endangering the zebra's turf, and somehow this makes it harder for them to drink water.
They are very beautiful creatures.
I think so also.
@FayeHazel (19039)
I didn't know they were endangered. That's sad
I think so also, there's so few left.
@FayeHazel (19039)
@misunderstood_zombie That always makes me sad. Why can't it be some other specie -- like mosquitos!
It's hard to imagine the zebra going extinct. It is a beautiful animal. The only fact I knew was about the stripes.
It would be heartbreaking, but hopefully someone will invest in their survival.
@misunderstood_zombie That would be a good thing.
They are also as tough as they come i saw one bite a crocodiles eye ball and ninja kick it to escape.
I love it when animals outsmart their predators.
I recently read that more species have gone extinct since 1970 then in the previous 300 years. It's really sad that humanity can do so much damage.
It really is sad, but sadder that no one cares.
Some care but the majority either don't want to know or don't care @misunderstood_zombie too many people are trying to get that almighty $ to buy whatever it is they feel is important. Most probably have no clue about our planet and what we've done to it and it's habitats.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
It would be a shame to see those beautiful creatures disappear
I agree, but the good news is that they do well in captivity on large pieces of land, so hopefully they won't die out completely.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
I wonder why this type over the other 2 are more in danger @misunderstood_zombie .
I think where they live which is a completely different habitats.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
@misunderstood_zombie Very possibly.
@cahaya1983 (10039)
Very informative! I didn't know the names of the different varieties of zebra before. Such a pity that they belong to the endangered species today.
Before I looked it up, I thought there was one kind of zebra. I was surprised there are three. It is really sad.
@kavinitu (5054)
I did not know much about this beautiful animal, but you have given us a lot of information . Thanks for sharing
Thank you.
I did not know about the stripe thing. I learn something new everyday on here.