The horror!

Pleasant Hill, California
This is what my Martin D-18 acoustic guitar looked like a few days ago. The binding had worked loose, and nobody (meaning Guitar Centers in Concord and Emeryville) wanted to touch it, even though they're supposedly Warranty Service Centers for Martin Guitars. So I decided to do the repair myself. I hadn't realized that painter's tape couple be used as a "clamp" and wouldn't damage the surface of highly polished guitars. Live and learn. The glue I used was a special guitar glue for just this kind of repair. I got it from StewMac, which makes products for guitar repair. It only took about three days to arrive. If you look carefully, you can see that I'd already "clamped" the area to the left, but was masking the area to the right, to drop some glue into the gap. I took care of the middle area last. You can see that the binding there is still slightly separated from the guitar.
I hope this fix is a successful one!! Painter/s tape is a handy tape to have around. However, painter's tape does let paint seep through, which is not good at all. Good luck with this repair.
yes,same here.Good luck with the repair.You have your work cut out for you
• Pleasant Hill, California
My hope was that it wouldn't let the glue seep through. If it lets paint seep through, how can it be good for masking in painting situations? Can you "double it up"?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@amadeo Thanks, Alfredo. I will take a picture of the end result.
You`re good! You got this little job, no problem.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm almost done now!
@Bluedoll (17074)
Should be fine as long as it doesn't rattle. I have strings that rattle, need to do something with the bridge.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, if the sound is compromised, it's worth it to fix it. Could be as simple as a truss rod adjustment. Or maybe a higher bridge saddle.
@Bluedoll (17074)
@TheHorse It's so nice to have those strings close to the frets but think you are right just not too sure how to go about it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Bluedoll There's a tradeoff, of course. Once you get callouses on your fingers, higher "action" is less of a bother, plus you get a louder, bassier sound.
@FourWalls (12946)
Ever considered getting a job at CF Martin? (I remember telling you that they said they couldn't do anything to repair my friend's guitar that once belonged to her father, an your reply was, "There's always something that can be done.")
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. That would be exciting! But it would certainly require some retooling. I really think that there is almost always something that can be done. You reduce a guitar's "authenticity" if you replace the bracing, or put on a new fingerboard, but I think it's always possible to make a guitar playable.
That's an expensive 'live and learn'.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Happily, there's no way I can destroy the guitar or hurt its sound. I just want it to look as good as it can.
@TheHorse That's a good thing.
It looks like the repair is proceeding well. Have you had any experience with glues suitable for fixing ceramic/china ornaments?
• Pleasant Hill, California
No! Is that something you're dealing with now? I'd think Gorilla Glue (not the foamy kid) would work.
@TheHorse Yeaers ago, I had an old gentleman who used to repair ornaments for me but I'm sure he'd be deceased by now. It crossed my mind that I should be trying to do these repairs myself. It's mainly china horses with broken legs.
@kritis (626)
Hope it got fixed..
• Pleasant Hill, California
I did a little more work on it tonight. It's pretty close to where I want it.
@kritis (626)
@TheHorse That's a good news..keep the work going..
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kritis I'll post an "after" picture when I'm satisfied that I'm done, in a day or two.
@TheSojourner (17479)
I have always been impressed with your skills. I know many people that would just throw something away for that
• Pleasant Hill, California
Throw away a $3000 Martin guitar? For shame!
@TheHorse maybe not a Martin.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@CoralLevang Heh heh. If I had something that was beyond my ability to fix I'd probably try to sell it on Craigslist. There's always someone out there who knows what to do.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Is it going to live to play again?
• Pleasant Hill, California
It will, even if I screw things up. This fix is only cosmetic. But I like to be dramatic now and again.
It's looking good. Nothing that a little of your expertise can't handle.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think all of the stuff I've done with speakers helped me. But this WAS more of a challenge since I had only once chance to get it right.
aw what happened bro
• Pleasant Hill, California
The binding started coming up. Apparently, it wasn't glued down properly over a 4" strip on the lower side of the guitar.
@TheHorse i hope it will be fix soon so u can compose another song bro! keep rockin!
@Platespinner (16529)
If all else fails do it yourself! I hope this works for you!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks! So far so good. There are a couple of tweaks I still need to do. I'll take an "after" photo.
@TheHorse I look forward to it!
I never would have thought of using painters tape as a clamp. Brilliant.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Guess I'm not too old to learn something new.
hope it will be fix again so u can play the guitar
• Pleasant Hill, California
I can play the poor thing even when the binding is loose. But I don't want to have to worry about it. My gigging guitar is a different guitar. It has electronics. This one doesn't
That really looks like a hard job! Here's wishing you luck in the outcome but i am sure you will do great!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks--I,m pretty confident too. I just have to be patient and take things one step at a time.
@peachpurple (12387)
i hope you had fixed the guitar already
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's done now, though there's some tweaking to be done.
@kobesbuddy (41129)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It's surprising what a little bit of ingenuity and TLC will do, for a musical instrument in need! Those warranties are usually a big joke, from my own personal experience. I'm glad you're handy enough, to fix this very lovely guitar!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks! I think if there were a major structural issue, Martin wold do a good job of fixing it. The tech I talked to said that fixing loose binding is a touchy issue, because it never looks EXACTLY like it did before. The final coats of finish are put on the guitar AFTER it's made.
@kobesbuddy (41129)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse Those final coats are probably a security measure, over the repaired binding.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy But when we repair binding, we don't reapply finish. That's why it might look slightly different. I've been buffing my repair out with car polish. You can only tell there's been a repair if you look really closely. I just took a picture of the "finished product."
You did a great job ! Have a wonderful holiday
• Pleasant Hill, California
How can you tell!!??
@TheHorse isn't what the Super Glue bottle sitting on the piece you replaced ? If not, well then I am guessing you did a great job ????
• Pleasant Hill, California
@enlightenedpsych2 It is the glue I used. Things turned out OK, though I'm still trying to sand the binding and the wood flush (without damaging the wood finish). I'll post a photo of the "finished product" soon.
You are good at repairing those guitars.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm good at not doing more than I've learned how to do. This repair was right at the edge, but I got good advice/instruction from the tech at Guitar Center in Emeryville. I am thankful for that.
• Portland, Connecticut
Talk about finding other uses for products!! I hope the beautiful guitar is good as new when you are done.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's going to be close. Nobody will notice the repair unlss I point it out to them.