How are you gardens doing? My snow peas and tomatoes are still yielding!

Walnut Creek, California
I live in the Eastern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. In Summer, this is a good area for growing corn, green beans, tomatoes, sunflowers, and other fairly standard garden goodies. But our Winters are interesting. It's usually in the upper 50s during the day here, dropping to the 30s or 40s at night. And then there's the occasional freeze, with temperatures dropping into the 20s at night. My standard Winter "crop" is snow peas, which are fairly cold-resistant, and yield until the Spring. But what's interesting this year is that my tomato plants are still going strong as well. I have a couple of new cherry tomatoes forming, and I'm hoping I'll be able to harvest them in a week or two. I munched a couple of snow peas yesterday. Does anything grow through the Winter where you are? The photo is of some Roma tomatoes I harvested out a Kaiser, where I do my notorious "illegal planting."
@Plethos (10977)
In my agricultural area, i see a bunch of "ice" lettuce growing.
• Walnut Creek, California
Is that with an emphasis on the "ice" part?
@Plethos (10977)
@TheHorse - its lettuce that grows smaller and whiter due to the cold. Hence the name, iceberg lettuce. Supposedly from what ive read in the past, most comes from my area.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Plethos Ah, thanks for the info!
Garden what garden are you serious her in New England we are F freezing here.
• Walnut Creek, California
Well, I suppose you could grow some things indoors!
@TheHorse the only thing we have going is basil plant.that is it.
• Walnut Creek, California
@amadeo Well, that's something. If you grow some cilantro, please send some to me. I love it, but am not good at growing it.
I cannot think of one growing thing out there right now. I do know the roots of evergreens grow in winter. Now is the time I have to cut back rose bushes.
• Walnut Creek, California
I hadn't known that the roots of evergreens grow in Winter. Interesting information!
Mmmm. I love Roma tomatoes!
• Walnut Creek, California
So do I. I like just munching them as I pick them, but they're also great in salads.
@TheHorse - They are great in spaghetti too.
• Walnut Creek, California
@teamfreak16 I will have to try that!
The garden is frozen, there are only some herbs still green, sage, rosemary and parsley.
• Walnut Creek, California
Can you still harvest them?
@TheHorse Yes, I can harvest those herbs in winter, for the parsley I shovel the snow and I get what I need.
It's nice to see post like this after having read and seen photos of snow and just snow and how cold the weather is in some parts of the world. We don't have winter here so we can grow plants all year round.
• Walnut Creek, California
That's what my Filipino friend tells me. But here ARE seasons...just in a different sense than we know them in the US.
@TheHorse Yeah right and we have only summer and rainy season to speak of.
Mine is a flowers and fruits garden. Am thinking of having some vegetables in the New Year. Your tomatoes look healthy
• Walnut Creek, California
Does it stay fairly warm through the Winter where you live?
@TheHorse Today I have worn a polo necked sweater an indication that it is cold here but no snow or ice. It is cool and towards the noon it turns warm.
It would seem you're pretty lucky to be able to grow ANY crops through the winter.
• Walnut Creek, California
Are you close enough to the Coast to be able to grow things like snow peas in Winter? What are your lows (in F or C) on your coldest Winter nights?
Looks like it is green fried tomatoes time. We've had too many freezing days here to have any garden left.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm going to let them get red. If it gets cold, I can harvest them and let them ripen on my counter.
@TheHorse ......Good to have options.
@TheSojourner (17304)
The deer eat anything I plant. I had a big kalanchoe and also a couple of succulent and they are now eaten up by deer
• Walnut Creek, California
They used to do that to me when I lived in Orinda CA, which is hillier and with more natural vegetation than here.
@TheHorse I've spent so much money on plants to make things look nice and then they come and destroy them. I know they're just doing what they do naturally, but they piss me off. If hunting were legal where I'm at I would have venison in my freezer
Here, everything is FROZEN. Nothing grows here in the cooler seasons.
• Walnut Creek, California
When I think of Canada in Winter, I think "frozen tundra."
I grow nothing at all in the winter. That's amazing that you are still getting tomatoes.
• Walnut Creek, California
In Oakland, I had some tomatoes last until February or so. But Berkeley is closer to the Bay and it never freezes there.