Not too small, not too big

@vandana7 (68484)
My home. LOL. I dislike large homes. The moment I see one, I think, OMG ...I will have to start earning for its repairs. How will I clean it, and so on and so forth. I also fear large homes because I will end up with friends who are not genuine. That is just me. But I am also not comfortable at the thought of 8 x 20 or even 12 x 40 stuff. I start feeling suffocated at that thought, even though I have lived in 490 sft house (my first home) for almost 10 odd years! I know design plays a big role in making the house feel comfortable. My requirement would be around 950 sft, or so. Anything above 1000 would mean a lot of junk accumulating. So what is the ideal home size for you?
• Uzbekistan
Too much hassle for me to think in sft. My husband and I have a four-room-flat/apartment in a two-storey (Brit.)/three-storey (Amer.) house which is just right.
@vandana7 (68484)
It is so important to have just the right size home! Too big invariably gets cluttered, and that means we start stressing ourselves over things. Smaller ones, can make us feel more ill when we get some infections since we could feel infection is all around us.
• Uzbekistan
@vandana7 I've never felt more threatened by bacilli when I was ill in a small room.
@vandana7 (68484)
@MALUSE I have stayed in hostel sick room, which was what, seven feet by 10 or so. And there were two of us in there. I felt I will be sick forever if I stayed in there. lol
Our house is bigger, about 1800 square feet (for the many using metric system, it means 167 sq.meters). As we have a room dedicated to the computers and another that is my hubby office, this size is good for us.
@vandana7 (68484)
My, you sure are an active lady. I would run a million miles from that large a house, even if I was Queen Elizabeth.lol
@vandana7 I love this house, we are only two, this is a very clean area, almost no dust. It's easy to keep the house clean.
Iam sure maintaining such big home is a challenge
@BarBaraPrz (21015)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
The house I have now is about 850 sqft. It's comfortable but I could use another room. If I get a decent settlement from the lawsuit against the city (my fall last year) maybe I'll have a sunroom put on the back of the house.
@vandana7 (68484)
Yeah..that puts you in my category...add 100 odd sft for a bedroom, and we both know what is comfortable, neither too hot, nor too cold, kinda thing. lol
We have purchased 4 homes over the years. Our last home was a big home with an in ground pool. So much work that house happened to be. We downsized to a smaller ranch home, and it is easy as can be to take care of. We went from 2500 square feet to 1400 square feet.
@vandana7 (68484)
Exactly. Repairing and cleaning is an endless job. We end up earning for those repairs, and cleaning liquids...and we obviously can't keep room vacant. So it gets filled, and that increases dusting duties. 1400 sft is ok...I think. 2500 is something that would make my blood pressure zoom. But personally anything above 1000 is scary because I am sure I can't manage to do what needs to be done. And we do all that cleaning and repairing and do not get paid for it..imagine! I would rather have small house, and a pool behind, and may be awning. Yet tiny would not do. lol
@vandana7 We also had a finished basement used as a family room, but square footage is not calculated to include basements. If it was calculated, our house would be 3000 square feet. A young person can handle that, but not me.
My school house is fine.Just right for us. Two rooms.Bed room,small kitchen and bath.We loved it.I am not into big houses.
@vandana7 (68484)
Neither am I. When I was in that 490 sft apartment which had a roof at about 9.5 feet, whenever I had infection, I wanted to go out...felt more sick. When we moved out to cheaper but larger (ironic isn't it) accommodation, I have never been sick for more than what 12 years, and even dad has never had fever. His bronchal problems are also down. Earlier he used to sit up in the nights trying to breath. May be it was locality (there are no industries out there). Or size of the home. This one is about 1250 sft, and I find it to be too large. I would rather be in the range of 850 to 950 sft.
@vandana7 so are you going to find a smaller place?
@vandana7 (68484)
@amadeo Yes!!! LOL. I don't want to be cleaning so much. lol As I age, it would become increasingly difficult. So it is common sense as far as I am concerned.
Boy, that's a good question. I have never even thought about it but you made one really good point, the more square footage you have the more you accumulate. I would like a much larger screened in porch though, that way I could ban all my kitties to live mostly outdoors when it's not cold out.
@vandana7 (68484)
Yeah...I know your love for kittens. This one made sense to me. :) You could have porch, and then deck. lol. I quite liked this one actually. Larger homes are pain in the butt.
Right now I’m showing you a 613 sq. ft. small house in the woods of Sweden. It has two bedrooms and one bathroom all on one single level so there are no lofts. This little house was originall…
The only thing I would do is enclose the porch/deck so that the cats cannot roam @vandana7 oh, and I would have to get rid of a heck of a lot of junk I have accumulated, which is a project I started a few months ago but boy is it hard to get rid of things sometimes.
@vandana7 (68484)
@rebelann Yeah..that is why I pulled that one up..lol.
I have lived in small and large homes, I agree the large homes are a lot of work to keep clean. I am in a happy medium now, but may do a little smaller later on.
@vandana7 (68484)
Me too. I would opt for at least 300 sft less than this one.
Well right now I have an old two-story home to sell and once I have it sold and I can move away from here all I want is an apartment with one or two rooms.
@vandana7 (68484)
Aw...that can be tough, climbing stairs when we are young is fine. As we age, it can be an issue. I remember, when I was young, I used to stay for vacation with one of dad's friends. Daily in the night, we had to carry mattresses upstairs on terrace. The stairs did not have any railing on the side from where we could fall. That was kind of risk everyday...god took care. lol. Now, if anybody asked me to climb it, I would definitely say no. lol.
@Srbageldog (8255)
My apartment is a decent size and I'm comfortable in it. I'm not sure how big it in sft, but it has two decent sized bedrooms, 1 bathroom, living room, kitchen, and dining area.
@vandana7 (68484)
I too live in small apartment. I feel it is about 300 sft too big..lol. I would like to amputate one bedroom, lol
@vandana7 The thing I hate about large spaces is having to clean all of it!
@vandana7 (68484)
@Srbageldog Cleaning, dusting, and maintenance. It begins with roof leakages, plumbing in kitchen bathrooms, electrical problems, painting, you name it...nope...small ones don't cost as much, they don't go out of fashion, like larger homes, which would have no takers since those who buy it would want to completely redo it, and that category is small. Big homes are problems...as far as I can see. lol
@mohit459 (12017)
• Haldwani, India
It should not be too big nor too small!..
@vandana7 (68484)
Yes, not too small like what they say tiny homes. And not to large so that maintenance takes up most of my time, and energy, not to mention too much money. lol
@mohit459 (12017)
• Haldwani, India
@vandana7 !.. Ya you are right mam!.., Good night .. Sweet dream
@vandana7 (68484)
@mohit459 Larger homes are like those designer clothes that models wear on ramp walk. They would become difficult to sell to ordinary folks, even if we paid substantial amount for designing. Unless people are stinking rich and don't know what to do with their monies they are best avoided because it is also difficult to find suitable things for them.
Both of us wanted a huge hall where we could have different activities but be in the same room. We have a big house and I like it that way.
@vandana7 (68484)
I guess you are fine with it. :) Do you get house help easily out there?
@vandana7 Not easily but we got them all the time. They are our 'life line' (lol)
@vandana7 (68484)
@allknowing Yeah..dependence increases, and once we are habituated, they become another source of stress, especially in the mornings, when they take a few minutes extra to ring that bell. lol
Wow, that was a tiny little home you lived in. I think if it was just me, I could live in something maybe slight larger.
@vandana7 (68484)
Designing a home is an art I have realized. I saw a beautiful house on net It seems to be comprehensive as far as my requirements go. May be I would increase the sizes of rooms a bit two feet in length for each of bedrooms so that I can change the bed sheets easily, and two feet in the drawing room, so that I do not have to sit so close to the fire. lol. At the other end, there would be two feet width added as well.That would all make it around 900 feet I think. Giving me room for washer dryer and dishwasher as well. There is already room for hanging clothes. lol.
@vandana7 That would work much better.
@vandana7 except for the lack of color, I love this!
@nanette64 (18081)
• Fairfield, Texas
It's not so much the size as the 'stuff' in it @vandana7 . All the knick-knacks, pictures, etc. The biggest pain in the butt is dusting.
@vandana7 (68484)
Exactly. Suddenly what should leave the home starts staying put, and things that we would not normally buy also find their way in.
@nanette64 (18081)
• Fairfield, Texas
@vandana7 Oh it's not me; it's family. Since I love dolphins and wolves, they send all kinds of stuff to me.
@vandana7 (68484)
@nanette64 Same in my case. :(
Seeing I live alone, my two bedroom dwelling next to the large family home is just enough for me. However , under different circumstances I would like something in-between - not large, not too small.
@vandana7 (68484)
I most certainly can't live in 12 by 40 systems...lol. I keep wondering how people can manage to live in smaller ones than that.
@Mshafeeq (1553)
• Bangalore, India
You are absolutely right luxurious is not the thing you will get where you pay more to silly things or a big banglow or villa of 4000 sqft or more than that. It is how you built your house in just 1200 sqft land or probably 2400 sqft land. I prefer just a 2 bhk house where it is easy to sort out the things organised one. Not cozy nor fab one either.
@vandana7 (68484)
I am fine with more land. I am not fine with larger construction. Land should be more so that we can grow some plants, and even vegetables. Construction should be small for many reasons. It also causes pollution when cement is being manufactured, steel is being manufactured, bricks are being burned, and so on. To top it all, the larger the home, the more is the sand required, and you have already heard of sand mafia.
@sol_cee (18077)
• Bermuda
I’d go with smaller house too.
@vandana7 (68484)
Yeah...small is beautiful. :)
Hello. i prefer bungalow studio type i dont like big either it looks scary, seems there must be someone i dont see on the other room or upstairs especially if its just me and my child living.do you believe on this?
@vandana7 (68484)
Me too...there should be a way for outside to be in. Lucky that where we are, that part is not an issue.
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Yes you are right, i just love house with beautiful environment and with swimming pool.
@vandana7 (68484)
Small house with some garden, and if you wish a pool or badminton court would be fine! Yard is what we need, not built up area. lol
@FourWalls (15760)
I’m single, so my house (about 850 sq. ft.) is perfect. I have lots of room...in fact, I’d almost call it “too big.” I have asthma, so it’s a chore to clean the house. Maybe that’s why I think it’s “too big.”
@vandana7 (68484)
I understand how it is with homes that are larger. There is I think perfect balance when the house is neither too large, nor too small. I feel small homes do make you feel a bit more sick when you get some infection. You feel the germs are everywhere. So tiny homes are definitely not my cup of tea, though small homes are.
I don't like big houses either.I like medium size houses.The maintenance of big houses is expensive. Besides, you need more effort in keeping it clean.I also like keeping my family members close, unlike big houses where you can seldom see your family, especially if each one of you have his or her own room with their own entertainment system.How lonely could that be?
@vandana7 (68484)
Yes, maintenance is expensive! Out here, we do not have rules and regulations like in the US. So we can still get away with it. But in the US they have laws relating to molds and stuff like that. They don't get tenants because of such things, and getting them cleaned can mean a lot of expense. Not really. Our folks here, would want to stay with us. And that would mean they would want us to spend on them, including taking them around for shopping, spend on their shopping, you know. To want a relative is fine, if you have good ones. But each one must have their own kitchen and bathroom. Ideally a large lot, with small small units. No fighting, no jealousies, no shrewdness...commune living, and common facilities perhaps...like fewer cars, swimming pool, and some yard for games. That works for me at least.