Winding Through the Wind

@FourWalls (14200)
It has been a whirlwind here. My dad is in the hospital, and we think this may be terminal. Plus there's all of this work I've been doing at the office to get ready for the conference. I need a break. What better break than a new countdown? This was requested/suggested by @JohnRoberts (so, as usual, blame him), who said I should do a "wind" countdown after I had two songs with "wind" in the title of my countdown of favorite pop standards. Wish granted. And here's where the English language gets weird. I pity people who actually have to learn this as a "new" language. Steve Martin once joked about what he hated about going to France: "Those French have a different word for everything!" (Not true: souvenir isn't really "translated" out of French for our use.) Yeah, and we don't. Case in point: WIND. The countdown I'll be doing is songs that reference that meteorological force that is currently coming out of the northwest here, making bitter cold temperatures even worse. But there's also the word wind, pronounced with a long "I" sound, describing what you do to a toy or a road with many curves. No, not that kind of "wind." My countdown features that thing where Dylan found his answers, my friend. I'll start that later today, after I get home from seeing my dad in the hospital. Meanwhile, here's a song that mentions the "other" wind, by my dad's favorite singer:
Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Pull My String and Wind Me Up · Carl Smith The Essential Carl Smith ? Originally released 1970. All rights re...
I did not know this oldie. Does it have to strictly be "wind" or does "Windy" count?
@FourWalls (14200)
I don't think anything windy will be Association-ed with this countdown.
@FourWalls I guess the Association got blown away by a restless wind, a wayward wind.
@FourWalls (14200)
@JohnRoberts -- and you just know they're gonna hasten it.
That must be so horrible for you, I hope there's something they can do so he can go back home.
Sorry to hear about your father. It's awful when parents get ill.
@FourWalls (14200)
My mom always said she wanted a “real quick” heart attack or brain aneurysm so she wouldn’t have to lie and suffer (her mom had a stroke and was bedridden for years). My mom got her wish...but that aneurysm wasn’t “quick” to us; rather, seventeen torturous days. I remembered that when I was leaving the hospital today, and I realize how much, comparatively speaking, easier it was. Dementia can last for years, and at his age (he’s 87), where his capacities are already diminished due to age, there’s no telling what could happen to him.
I never heard this one. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. He's in my prayers.
Never heard of this. Thanks for sharing. I will put your dad in my prayers.
so sorry to hear about your dad.was he ill for a spell?Pull my string.I feel like a marionette
Sorry to hear your dad is not doing well. Thanks for the link. Glad is a song done by your dad's favorite singer.
@Dena91 (4381)
Prayers for your Dad and you and the rest of your family. Enjoyed your explanation for this countdown. Looking forward to the other songs.