The Black Cat of Riga

Riga, Latvia
In Latvia, in the 14th century, it was a great honor to become a member of the Great Guild. It was a terrible insult to get snubbed by them. When a resident of Riga was turned down he attached a black cat on top of his building so that it would stare at the Guild. Today the Great Guild is home to the Latvian National Symphonic Orchestra. It is one of the oldest and most beautiful concert halls in Riga. The Black Cat with its arched back seems to be ready to strike at everyone. The members of the Guild were displeased with this sculpture and an argument ensued between the members and the man. Finally, an agreement was reached and the statue was turned around away from the Guild. It still stands upon the roof in Old Town Riga. The photo of the Black Cat is my own
I like the idea of that black cat staring at them. Really got their goat.
• Riga, Latvia
Now what can we get that would stare at all the bumbling politicians in the states @JohnRoberts it would have to be something really big and really nasty
@nife2018 (1117)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Scaring, people might have been faint already see such black cat status unexpectedly
I am glad the black cat got to stay. Being snubbed requires a little bit of payback.
• Riga, Latvia
I wonder if any real cats have been able to climb so high to get a curious closer look at it to be sure it is not real @Corbin5
@RasmaSandra I wonder that too. Ya just never know what a kitty cat may be able to do.
• Riga, Latvia
@Corbin5 just had to mention. That is pretty high up but can you imagine what someone would think if one morning they looked up to see two cats. They would immediately think of what they did the night before.
It's a lovely model of a cat. I can understand why they didn't like it.
• Riga, Latvia
When you walk in the city and spot it it really catches the eye @JudyEv
@RasmaSandra I can believe it. I'd have the camera out immediately.
Was he allowed in the Guild after all?
• Riga, Latvia
Nope never got in but he still won in a way because his creation the black cat stayed and is around still today @Kandae11
@RasmaSandra Good for him.