Should interns demand money?

Okay so I don't know a lot about jobs or anything. My sister works for a big company and she told me it's okay to demand money from your employer if you work hard. No one should be unpaid. But I'm not sure if I should demand for a salary. First of all, I haven't even got my degree yet. Second of all, I don't have any experience working anywhere. And third, I think why would anyone hire someone for just a month without having the above two things.. What do you think? Is it appropriate?
@AJAYSAXENA (1945)
• Hyderabad, India
I will give my honest view on this topic if we are leaving in India where people are more than job requirement, If we start demand the company may feel that they need to look for alternative person. In private the job is not permanent No matter how much you are talented but i suggest one thing look for alternative plans don't depend on job, look for alternative like business etc.
@AKRao24 (18012)
may be what you think is correct, but then you need to prove your worth anywhere you work, so that you should become indispensable part of the organization! If you work hard, sincerely and honestly you are going to make salary for your self in the Company or organization as it will make more profit and the employer will never think of firing you! Thinking of alternative source of income like doing business etc is not that easy either! You must be consistent and committed to the work what ever you are doing for your lively hood. Half hearted approach will never work! Thanks dear @AJAYSAXENA !
• Hyderabad, India
@AKRao24 Bro most of us know how Corporate works in INDIA but i am not disagree with you because brand like TATA etc are awesome to work with but almost 90% companies are typical corporate type if you demand you will be in their black list.
@AKRao24 (18012)
May be you are right dear @AJAYSAXENA ! I just have expressed my ideas in my above response! Thanks!
@AKRao24 (18012)
I think it is OK! interns also have their requirements and needs. since they are fresh they are not paid salary but they are given Stipend which is just a token money and I think is quite justifiable dear @Sly_queen ! Thanks!
Thank god. It gave me huge relief. Now I can be more confident..
@AKRao24 (18012)
We used to get stipend during our internship and still people they get it dear @Sly_queen , this is nothing new and is part and part of the system! Thanks!
I think it depends on what you are looking for. If it is a promising career, then if you feel it is worth working for little to nothing to get there, then go for it. If you feel your responsibilities are fit for better pay, have a respectful discussion rather than demand it. You might want to be careful because these days employers can/will fire you for any reason, so it may be best to keep quiet. If you need income now, then maybe work a part time job alongside the internship or choose a different career that offers pay up front.
@AKRao24 (18012)
I agree with you going for internship means getting work experience while getting some token amount as a stipend! remember this work experience is priceless and can be a foundation to start a career! Taking a part time job is different than going in for internship! Thanks dear @taciaelisepeace !
@mydanods (6759)
• Nigeria
If you prove yourself valuable, the company might hire you. Make the sacrifice. When you were employed as an intern, did you give any hint to them that you would ask for money? So you would be going against an agreement if you started asking for money because you have been accepted. Give your best. As an intern, you'll be paid in experience which you will put in your CV.
@raijem (325)
Paying interns is up to the company. The students are after relative experience with a certain field that is why they have to through internship. Now for some companies they do offer allowances which is good but in most places and in most circumstances, there are none. If you are after a salary, then internship is most likely not the answer. Look for part-time work.
@lovebuglena (6361)
• Staten Island, New York
If the internship is unpaid you cannot demand money for it. So, if you do not wish to work for free you should not take that internship. However, it is not a great feeling to work for free, especially if you work the same hours as those that get paid, so I think that all interns should get compensated for their time, even if the pay is small.
@wongchoiyee (7350)
We pay RM500 for intern job here in Malaysia.
@cupkitties (7174)
They don't pay their interns over there? Or is just this one company? I'd talk to them about a salary and if they don't agree, start looking at somebody who is willing to pay. Life is full of expenses to be doing hard work for free all day. How will you eat, pay rent, etc.? Way I look at it is they are putting themselves in danger of losing potentially valuable employees because those interns will get tired of the bs and go elsewhere.
• Russian Federation
I am sure that an intern should be paid at least 2/3 of an average salary. Personally, I have never been an intern and I do not think that I would agree on it