How the other half live.

@garymarsh6 (14429)
United Kingdom
The other evening I watched a progamme about Billionaires of Dubai. The opulence is something probably the majority of us will never see however it gave a good insight into their little world. While we think in pounds and pennies they talk of hundreds of thousands and millions. It seems a lot of people bought properties there 20 years ago for around £3-400,000 which today are worth £6-7 million pounds. Some of the houses they bought in the palm island have never ever been occupied and there are lots of houses and apartments lying empty knocking up the value on a daily basis. Quite a few people were ordinary people who were worked hard and were high flyers. There are financial incentives awarded to hard workers and go getters. All the while poorly paid Asian workers who were living in atrocious conditions and with some questionable safety on the building sites where they had to work and were not able to return to their own countries because they had to pay for their own travel and board. Conditions have improved for these workers after the big conglomerates were put to shame. In ten years time the oil reserves will have run out so what are the Emirates doing. They are creating their very own theme parks many of which are already up and running. There are luxury hotels, luxury shopping malls. There global airlines offer a superior service to these states with the likes of Emirates airlines, Etihad and Qatar airways as their main airlines. The service on board is far superior to British Airways and the American intercontinental airlines. They are on par with the likes of Singapore airlines and probably even better! They have built the Burj Khalifa the worlds tallest building which is approximately 828 m (2,717 ft) ,half a mile high, two and a half times the height of the Empire State building, containing apartments, hotels offices and swimming pools, gyms viewing platforms and restaurants. It is so tall it is sometimes above the clouds looking over the city far below! It was quite an insight looking into the lives of these billionaires who own amongst other things their own yachts, planes, racing cars, paying obscene amounts for personalised number plates $2 million dollars! The photo is of the Burj Khalifa from Pixabay
@vandana7 (67698)
Setting up theme parks and stuff like that is according to me unwise. Meaning of luxury and opulence is changing by decades. Today it may be Burj Khalifa, tomorrow it may be another building. In any event, I fail to understand what is so great about going to another city, spending on travel only to look at the building to confirm whether it is same as that we see in postcards or movies. Or staying indoors in luxury hotels. For me nature does the trick. I like peace and quiet. Not fast paced "development". It would also be expensive to travel some place when oil runs dry. Definitely it would be for a limited few. Would then the earnings be enough for that country?
@garymarsh6 (14429)
You are correct about the cost of fuel to get to these places. However there are some people who absolutely thrive on theme parks. Looks how successful Disney is not just in the USA but China and Japan. Universal studios and others. A combination of the two is good. So to go up the statue of liberty or the Empire state building is just something that one does when visiting New York. It is an amazing feeling to be up these iconic structures. I loved exploring the grand palaces and temples in India. They are beautiful to the eye. I don't think I need to worry about the Burj Khalifa as I hate heights and felt quite dizzy just looking out of the windows on the programme.
@vandana7 (67698)
@garymarsh6 Disney has something for everybody! A lot of it is in budget range of broader section of the society. With fuel becoming expensive, it would be difficult to price stay in such a way that earnings would be sufficient. Then what? How many people travel to Egypt to see Pyramids? That is the only crowd that will be visiting Emirates. Not something to feel complacent about.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
@vandana7 You are right but these parks are not dissimilar but Laws are completly different to those of the USA, France, Japan and many people behave in an outrageous manner which results in them being incarcerated in Prison. Looking or touching someone could result in your being arrested so who would want that. I do think people would still go. They will invest in alternative methods of power such as solar, wind and possibly nuclear power. Millions travel to visit historical places but people need to respect others cultures and beliefs. These places will have to be resourceful to attract normal Joe bloggs it cannot just be for the rich otherwise it would go right down the pan!
@topffer (36123)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
I think that transforming Dubai in a duty free tax haven is the only way to go for them, or in 20 years they will have to sell their Rolls to buy a camel.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Haha it has been Tax free for many years,. I did buy some whisky for my brother in law. Which we would probably pay around £30 here in the UK back then. She told me £7. I said on no I think you have made a mistake. She hadn't it was so cheap! Shame we could not buy more. Gold was quite a bargain too even every ornate designs it is sold by weight not by the intricate design!
@topffer (36123)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@garymarsh6 It is their way to try to survive. A good side effect of Brexit is that the duty free will probably come back in 2019 on the Channel. You will not have to go anymore in Dubai to buy your whisky.
@ptrikha_2 (10328)
@garymarsh6 But I recall that the items at Dubai airport were too expensive for me.
I have watched several interviews on YouTube of women from other poorer states who came there to work for those billionaires. They are slaves now and not even allowed to quit the State. I know that I would not go there to live, no matter how beautiful the "facade" looks.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Absolutely.For starters it is too hot secondly some people just do not fit into that kind of lifestyle. I do not think it is for me Anna. I don't think I need to worry too much!
@garymarsh6 It would be too hot also for me and I wonder what it's going to happen the day they have no more fresh water and no more oil to desalinate salt water.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
@LadyDuck The will probably utilise solar power, It is not as if they don't have enough sun!
My son recently went there for work and thought it was extremely ostentatious. A friend of ours lives there. He was educated in the USA, and returned to work in his family's business. The rich do get richer.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
They certainly do. Some expats love the place. I guess you either love it or loathe it.
@garymarsh6 My husband refuses to go there.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
@DianneN Wise man he does not want to let you loose in that gold shopping mall with his credit card!
Just imagine the good that could be done if these people would only put a small portion of their wealth towards helping others. It's enough to make you weep.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I do believe the do Judy but like most benefactors they do not publicise it. The only thing is that they are buying up big properties all over the world. London, New York and no doubt Sydney. which probably adds to the increase in high end property prices,
@ptrikha_2 (10328)
@JudyEv many big corporates do help the poor and needy. We have Ambanis and Tatas in India doing their lot. Yet what I believe is that many of the corporates take up to 75% of the profit of their firms and perhaps they need to reduce this to 60 to 65%, as the inequalities too are on the rise.
@garymarsh6 Maybe some do but there are many others who could do a lot more. The way some of them live is obscene.
@yugocean (8839)
Billionaire for oil, but all countries depends on oil, first all of the countries have to move to other alternatives, then these countries like UAE come to other business.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
They certainly will if they want to survive! You are right!
@yugocean (8839)
@garymarsh6 After oil, they have only tourism as their best Industry.
@ptrikha_2 (10328)
UAE and Saudi Arabia have started moving towards renewables and have also started investing more on Non-Oil projects. Yet it remains to be seen how successful they can be.
well my oversea trip are done.Not able to travel there any more. I have to stay in the states side.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
There are plenty of beautiful places to see in the USA my friend. You have been very fortunate to have been abroad and around the world. Enjoy your own country. I love the states!
@garymarsh6 yes they are and plenty.The ocean is for me.We have them in our back yard.
@RodrickH (12628)
I heard many people say that people in Dubai are rich
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Yes there is a lot of money there but the poor manual workers are not.
@ptrikha_2 (10328)
@RodrickH not all- there are average people as well as poor people- about whom nobody really cares.
That building looks like something out of a Sci-Fi movie.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Yes and you would not get me going up it Marie. I prefer my feet firmly on the ground! I am not good with heights!
Hollywood people live pretty obscenely. Ron Howard put his mansion the size of a small castle up for sale to "downsize."
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I too want to downsize but it is not as ostentatious as any of those places.
I would have loved to have seen that show. I once saw a thing on TV, and it was discussing new vending machines that one would put in I think a credit card and get a bar of gold out of it. This was in Dubai. The lucky person who gets to use this million dollars vending machine does get to have an armed escort to walk away with there gold I think thou dost have too much money to use foolishly!
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Can you imagine that having to take a security guard with you to get a bar of gold rather than like us to get a bar of chocolate! It was Pierce Morgan on youtube which lasted about 50 minutes!
• Pamplona, Spain
I hope we don´t have to buy camels really. But come to think of it if you had nothing else to get around what else would you do? Seen this about Dubai before and thanks for sharing this one.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
you are welcome Have you ever ridden a camel? They are peculiar creatures to ride!
• Pamplona, Spain
@garymarsh6 Not yet but I have been close to them and I hope they don´t take a dislike to me as their habits are not too friendly sometimes.
• Cuddalore, India
Fantastic scenery gives energy for me.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
It is impressive!
• Cuddalore, India
@garymarsh6 I would like to visit atleast once
I can't stand people like these. I am not impressed by all their "show offs".
@ptrikha_2 (10328)
Sometimes I feel whether such millionaires or billionaires print their own currency- who buys things at high prices from them. And how come all these wealth came to be concentrated in their hands? I know that even in India, we have some people with such a huge buying power while others struggle even for a decent living. Yet seeing places like Burj Khalifa even on TV(and on Movies like MI:Ghost Protocol) is cool!