Can a parent sue a school

@mydanods (6777)
Nigeria
I have sad news to tell. The daughter of a family friend just died. She died of malaria. Now this news comes with a twist. The girl was schooling in a boarding school when this happened. She was down with malaria for a whole week and the school and the school has been trying to treat her without informing the parents. It was only when her condition became critical that they called the parents. Hours later they told them that she had died. The parents were advised to sue the school. But I have been sceptical whether that is good advice. By the way, the parents are still grieving. Can the parents succeed if they sue the school? If you were in their position, what would you do? Thanks to everyone who helped me on mylot. It's great to have all of you here.
I don't know that in Nigeria the parents would have been able to take her to somewhere else where she could have gotten better medical care. I don't know much about the health care system in Africa.
@mydanods (6777)
• Nigeria
I wanted to know if this is done in your area. Why did the school not inform the parents of the girl's illness on time is what so many are saying.
@mydanods students don't do boarding school in this area so it isn't an issue. The health of children is the parents' responsibility.
@mydanods (6777)
• Nigeria
@NJChicaa Thanks for the help.
@miketagz (7457)
Cannot sue the school unless there's an evidence if that water came from them.
@mydanods (6777)
• Nigeria
So the parents have a lot to prove, then? She was sick for a week. The school thought they could treat it. People are saying why did they take that risk; that was negligence on their part.
@miketagz (7457)
@mydanods It depends on the school administration if they would like to cooperate, and if proven will take full responsibility to spend for hospital bills until full recovery!
@mydanods (6777)
• Nigeria
@miketagz I appreciate your views. Only time will tell if they will cooperate. By the way, the corpse hasn't come to lagos yet.
@kepweng (11531)
yes sorry about that
@mydanods (6777)
• Nigeria
ok. The family is going through grief right now. She has not been coming to the school where she works.
I think it is possible. This is quite a delicate case.
@mydanods (6777)
• Nigeria
Delicate especially for the parents
@mydanods I do think that it needs to have the attention to it.