St. Patrick's Day Tradition

Boise, Idaho
Corned beef and cabbage is not a tradition in Ireland. There the cows were not used for their meat but their strength in the farm fields. It is a sacred animal and a symbol of wealth. England is actually who introduced Ireland to the potato. They are the beef eaters. Lincoln had corned beef, potatoes and cabbage for his first Inaugural Luncheon back on March, 4, 1861. The actual traditional St. Patrick's Day meal in Ireland is lamb or bacon. It is a day of family and religion. Pubs were closed by law in Ireland until 1970. No green beer there.
Lamb please, I'll pass on corned beef . . .
@celticeagle is it the taste or texture that turns you off from this succulent meat ?
@enlightenedpsych2 .......Flavor and it tends to be rather icky with oil or something.
@celticeagle the gamey taste turns a lot of people off of it and that ick you are talking about is that gamey flavor that the enzymes and proteins of this type of meat carry. You got to think what a sheep actually eats to understand how the flesh will taste and cook up nice n rare and succulent. I am a HUGE fan of lamb so I tend to emulate it way more than any cow, despite those animals being 'sacred' in some countries !
@rheicel (7296)
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Same to you.
@rheicel (7296)
@celticeagle Unfortunately we don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day here.
You too!
I always wondered where all the "traditions" started and how true they were. Thankfully, I don't eat cabbage or corned beef or drink. But I do wear green!
That's a fun part of it.
@celticeagle yes it is. Our st pattys day parade is this saturday bit no kids so wont be going this ywar.
Not being Irish, I really don't celebrate with any special foods or drinks. The corned beef, potato and cabbage does sound very good.
I look forward to it.
Corn beef please.. no lamb on my plate...
Mine either.
Now I really want some sauerkraut.
That does sound good.
@Courage7 (18268)
Its good to learn these things thanks.