Synesthesia: a combination of senses

@FayeHazel (17164)
There is a condition called synesthesia - which is truly fascinating. It is caused by the combination (or perhaps failure to split) of 2 or more senses. So there are people who can see colors with music, see colors in letters, taste words, feel sensations in accordance with colors and hear writing. My mom and I have the hear writing thing. I thought it was normal. It's a generic voice the reads the written words and if I don't know how a word is pronounced , the voice doesn't, either. (we're not crazy.... I don't think!) Here's a fascinating video about the condition:
View full lesson: http://ed.ted.com/lessons/what-color-is-tuesday-exploring-synesthesia-richard-e-cytowic How does one experience synesthesia -- the neurolog...
It's incredibly intriguing isn't it? I have a friend who sees letters as different colours. I should ask her if she sees 26 different colours. She just thought it was normal too.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Oh cool, I would be curious to know what your friend says
This condition is definitely an interesting one. I have never encountered anyone with synesthesia, but so many facets to that condition.
@FayeHazel (17164)
I wonder how many people have it but don't realize
I'm trying to understand how that even happens. It's intriguing.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Oh yeah I wonder how the functionality of the things actually works.... that's interesting
@FayeHazel I would love to have that gift because it does seem like a gift.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@AmbiePam I like it :-) Some of the other ones seem really cool too, like colors and music. But tasting words could be annoying...
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I've always seen colours in letters and never really thought much about it.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Oh no way, that's so cool. Are the colors on the letters always the same? (Like is S always the same color)?
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@FayeHazel Yes they are, for example C is yellow.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@Gillygirl Oh fun! That must be really exciting to read things then
@Icydoll (15030)
Interesting one ...never heard of this.
@FayeHazel (17164)
I know there's a TV special about it. Fascinating
Well thats new to me
@FayeHazel (17164)
It's fascinating
@Freelanzer (8567)
Interesting. Never heard of it.
@FayeHazel (17164)
It fascinated me, - I saw a TV show on it and then realized that mom and I had it
Very interesting. I have a feeling I have the hear writing thing too. At least I hear the words as I read and type them.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Oh yeah! That sounds the same -- I can't imagine how trying to read out loud would work without hearing it.... :-) Cool to meet another :-)
@FayeHazel That's how I know I've made spelling mistakes. Every word is not only heard, but when I type, each letter is also not only seen, but heard as I type it, especially the harder words.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@just4him Oh like spelling out loud only you hear it? Sounds familiar :-)
That is truly amazing! I've heard of it before, but never met anyone with synesthesia. How cool you and your mom have it!
@FayeHazel (17164)
Thanks it's so cool to share with mom -- we were all watching the TV show - and I started saying something about hearing the writing, thinking it was normal... my mom just smiled and then told me she has that too, and then dad looked at us like we were crazy....
@FayeHazel You have a gift!
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
@DianneN She truly has one.
This sounds so odd. I cannot watch the video now as my son is doing cyber school next to me but I have bookmarked it so I can check it out later.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Oh cool, maybe it will make a cool study subject if the kids need one?
@FayeHazel That was a very interesting video which lead me to watching a whole bunch of other videos that were suggested and had interesting titles.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@shaggin Ah I love when that happens on Youtube :-)
• Riga, Latvia
Now that I think about it I guess I am at the point of seeing colors with music.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Oh that's cool! What's it like?
• Riga, Latvia
@FayeHazel well music inspires me in my poetry so when I put on something I really like I close my eyes and see colors like for instance if the music has a strong rock beat the colors are usually reds and oranges and if the music is a soft pop number the colors are greens and blues and so on. It is something that is awesome to experience. This is really great take a look at the company I have of people who experience things like this.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article possibly contains original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding inline citations. Statements consisting only of original research should be remove
@FayeHazel (17164)
@RasmaSandra Oh that sounds amazing, I would love to experience it. Maybe a computer programmer could work with people who have your type of synesthesia and make a program for music that would be similar to what you see
Very interesting. I think that would be kind of cool!
@FayeHazel (17164)
I like it - but I didn't know it wasn't normal. I would love the colored letters one or the music colors one
@vandana7 (63833)
Interesting. No I don't think you are crazy. As yet you have not given me sufficient proof of that.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Ha ha, oh dear, something tells me I could give proof. Especially some days
@Orson_Kart (4353)
I think you're crazy.
@FayeHazel (17164)
Probably :-)
@dgobucks226 (11600)
When it comes to synesthesia I guess I am color blind