Unwanted Mail

Green Bay, Wisconsin
There's just something about getting old that makes people think you want their unwanted and unsolicited mail. Since I was about to turn 50, I started getting AARP solicitation in the mail. I've thrown them out continually. Then I started getting a letter from Washington D.C. That turned out to be about funeral expenses. Since the first of the year, on a weekly basis, I'm getting solicitation from every insurance agency around. Why? I'm turning 65 and they want me to buy their Medicare program. I opened the mailbox this morning on my way in from the pool and shopping, and pulled out a letter from Social Security. It too is dealing with Medicare. Why can't people just wait until I'm interested in what they have to offer, before deciding I might be interested in their offers? Next month is the golden month for me. I will need to take care of my Medicare requirements. I already started checking into it last month, and got the most important issue solved. Then I did start looking at supplemental information, and got an immediate phone call, and got my questions answered. There is only one thing I need to do. I'm on Medicaid for all my medical concerns. For those who don't know, Medicaid is government help for poor people for their medical needs. Because I'm on Medicaid, Social Security has a program to help me with Medicare. I just need to fill out a form next month, so when I turn 65 in July, it will go into effect. Because I'm on Medicaid, I don't need to worry about the supplement. Medicaid will pick up that 20% not covered by Medicare. So, until I reach that magic date on the calendar, I'm going to continue to throw out every unwanted solicitation letter telling me how old I am and the offers they have for me. Do you open your unwanted solicitation mail or do you toss it into your recycle bin without opening it? Thanks for reading.
YES! I do too. if the insurance companies did not waste so much money on unwanted mail the price might be cheaper for us to actually buy their insurance. My sister has the medicare and medicaid for insurance since she has been on SSD.
I agree. It just might be cheaper, instead of filling the recycle bins with it every day.
@kobesbuddy (59330)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@just4him Most of our trash mail, we don't even bother to read it!:(
@kobesbuddy I don't either. It goes straight in the recycle can.
Are you turning 50 or 65? I read it but it might be me missing it. I have medicare and medicaid
65. I started getting the AARP mail before I turned 50.
@just4him ok I been getting it a while
We are tossers. Lol!
Good minds think alike.
My uncles been getting mail from AARP for three years. And he's only in his 40s. My moms not even getting them at 51. We rip them up and throw em.
It's the only thing you can do with it.
@just4him yup. Lol My mom always jokes saying she wishes we had a fireplace to just toss them in there. Especially in the winter.
@Courtlynn Now that would be nice to have.
@FayeHazel (22124)
Don't feel bad, I get the AARP flyers and I'm 36.
I didn't start getting them until I was about to turn 50. I'm sorry you're getting them already.
@FayeHazel (22124)
@just4him Lol, I think it's funny.... they must really want customers
@FayeHazel I think they want everyone in the country 50 and over as their customer, so they pester us unmercifully.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I already get AARP mail, and I wont be 28 till next month. Lol. We get a lot of mail for the people who lived here before us, if its important we let them know because they still have a little bit of land next door. But if not we burn it.
Good idea to burn it.
I would toss them out too.
Good choice.
I tear up without opening mail like that. These companies monitor public records and reap the info of those over a certain age and start the bombardment of trying to sell you something.
They won't succeed with me.
I find out if that is really mail or not by asking. We get a lot of things that can be thrown out.
It says Standard Mail on the envelope. It gets tossed.
@just4him Valerie, what is standard mail mean?
@Hannihar Standard mail is a stamp the addressee puts on the corner of the envelope to show it's not first class or important mail. It signifies it's junk mail.
My husband will be 65 in November and he has not got anything yet. So he probably will a month before his birthday.
I've been getting mail since the signup for it last year. I wish they would stop sending me mail.
@just4him AARP keeps sending us mail and I got a free membership at my job and never got no discounts when I tried to use it. When I retired they wanted money for the membership that did me no good when it was free through my work so why pay for it.
@jstory07 Good reason not to join and throw it away.
I toss 'em. We keep getting "assisted-living" brochures in the mail.
Is that because your father is in assisted living?
@just4him No, I think it is because we are old!! People can live in assisted living facilities starting at age 62, so we are targets for that type of living.
@Corbin5 That's one I haven't seen yet, thankfully.
@nela13 (10016)
• Portugal
I send a lot of e-mails directly to recycle without opening it.
That's a good place for it.
@nela13 (10016)
• Portugal
@just4him yes it is
@ridingbet (61758)
i agree. the nursing office in my school wants me to be registered in their research program and make my own research. i told our dean that i don't think that is possible since i will retire, hopefully, in 2 years time. also the nurses association here wants me to be a lifetime member and pay P5k. i reasoned out that i will reach 60 in 2 years time. unwanted mails in my email address? oh, so many survey sites, and spam.
That sounds like a lot of extra unnecessary work at your age. Time to think about retirement. I send all the spam e-mails to spam as well.
@ridingbet (61758)
@just4him right on that. it is my joy to put the spam letters in the garbage bin.
@MsBooklover (4101)
Oh my goodness, I am getting the same junk mail you are!
The Post Office will never go out of business if these companies insist on sending out junk mail to everyone.
@Prdhan (602)
It is very annyoing.Sometimes it happens.
Yes, it is annoying.
The big thing is they want to sell me mobility scooters and hearing aids. I toss them. Actually I shred them.
I haven't gotten those ones yet, but I'd be tossing them too.
@Icydoll (27571)
Unwanted mails I don't even open it... directly they move into trash ..
That's where mine goes too.
I have a quick look to make sure I'm not missing anything then in the bin it goes.
Good place for it.
• Midland, Michigan
The one bit of mail that I get the most tired with is a letter from a business in our area thinking I should be ready to purchase my first hearing aid. They send one to me almost monthly, although maybe not quite that often. But, too often for me. That goes in the trash each time. I began getting the medicare mail since last year too.*(and some phone calls too). I did take notes from one of those calls and that helped me understand some of the options. I'm opting to wait until my sixty-sixth birthday when I will be getting my first social security check because I didn't have extra funds to pay for any of medicare before then. You have three months before your birthday to three months after to sign up without any penalty. Because I already have health insurance through work, I won't get any penalties for waiting the year. I got something recently from the SSA office for medicare part B, which I've taken care of. I have until the end of June to decide what I want for the supplemental. Omaha insurance company sends me info quite often. I've saved a few of them and have a booklet from them that explains a lot along with a booklet from the government. All other junk mail gets tossed right away without me checking it out first for the most part. When in July is your birthday? Mine is the first.
The 19th. I'll be taking care of Medicare next month. They have a state buy in program for people who have small Social Security checks, which mine is. I called Social Security for information instead of contacting anyone else. Though with the supplement information, I did need to know how that is handled. So with my Medicaid taking care of that, I'm okay with Medicare. So everything now goes in the trash without thinking about it.
@Teep11 (7280)
I'm 44 and will receive information from AARP. There will be continuous aging so there must be preparations for such.
Yes, I agree, we do continue to age. However, all of the information goes in the recycle bin.