Favorite BIG #1 HITS Through the Years: 1984 Country

@FourWalls (12900)
I'm almost up to 1985, the stopping point that I picked for looking at select #1 songs through the years. Here's the country side of the picture from the year 1984...with nary a mention of George Orwell! 1984 (Country): Elizabeth - Statler Brothers One of the original Statler Brothers, Lew DeWitt, had to quit music due to Crohn's disease. He was replaced by Jimmy Fortune. This stunning song was Fortune's introduction to the group. The song is named after Elizabeth Taylor. The lyrics are about being away from the woman a man loves. With those terrific Statler harmonies, there was no way this song could fail. A couple of years ago Jimmy Fortune was in town on the "country gold" tour at the state fair. He sang this, and it sent the same chills down my spine as when I first heard it. Elizabeth Written by Jimmy Fortune Recorded by the Statler Brothers From Today, 1984 #1 for one week Life that felt brand new:
From "The Statler Brothers Show" on The Nashville Network
• Riga, Latvia
I just love the Statler Brothers. Thanks for sharing.
This isn't a song I know but I like the harmonies.
You love the Statlers.
I remember this one, I think I was slinging greasy eggs at waffle house back in those days.
Ah yes. I grew up with the Statler's. My grandpa listened to them all the time.