Striving for Perfection

pixabay image
Are you a perfectionist? According to the dictionary , a perfectionist is someone who - wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible. I am not a perfectionist, but during my younger days I did strive for near perfection in some areas of my life - I achieved success in some - others I didn't. These days I simply perform to the best of my ability most of the time and leave it at that. However, old habits are hard to change - for example, I find that I spend far too much time searching for the perfect picture to go with my discussions - one search took me almost an hour. but there is a great sense of satisfaction when I find the right one. So, do you strive for perfection? Have you achieved it in any areas of your life? What would make your day perfect?
I used to, but then I learned that if I lower my standards, my performance rises.
And your stress level lowers.
@Kandae11 So true.
@vandana7 (67604)
Perfectionists are more likely to suffer with health problems like BP and stroke.
@Icydoll (24600)
I'm not at all perfectionist from childhood...but I try to do my best and put efforts..
The important thing is that you do your best.
@AKRao24 (21102)
I am sure you are going to be a perfectionist soon dear @Icydoll! Have a great time!
• Preston, England
I like to think I'm a Prefekshunist, but after a while I just think, oh what the heck, that'll do.
You start of aiming high, then end up doing the best you can - whatever that level is.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 yes, so many half-accomplished plans and dreams behind me
@arthurchappell Don't worry - it will happen someday soon.
I know I sometimes spend ages on something that is very inconsequential so basically I'm just wasting time.
Maybe you don't really think it is - otherwise you won't waste time on it.
• Uzbekistan
I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to household chores. Far from it. I like my posts to be as good as possible. But as English isn't my native language, I can never be perfect. I think perfectionists are difficult to live with.
@MALUSE As someone who has spent many years in the teaching profession, I am sure mediocrity is never on your curriculum.
• Uzbekistan
@Kandae11 You are mistaken. If a teacher's aim is to reach perfection with their pupils, he or she won't last long in the teaching profession but soon go mad and land in the loony bin. You have to accept the pupils as they are and help them move forward as far as they're able to. Which often is not very far. :-(
@MALUSE A teacher won't expect perfection in their pupils - but they won't accept mediocrity either.
@Courage7 (15652)
I am definitely not a perfectionist as I am not perfect and never will be..gee that made too much sense lol
A perfectionist is not perfect - he or she just wants to be and tries to be. like the lady who underwent over 30 operations to look like a barbie doll.
@Courage7 (15652)
@Kandae11 Yes that is why I say what I say that way I do not have to overwhelm myself ..that lady so sad
@Courage7 Very sad indeed.
You always have the very best pictures to go with your discussions! Well worth the effort. Someone complained that I must be stuck on myself just because I posted some photos of myself on myLot. . What a jerk! I do the best I can in most situations, but am a perfectionist when I have guests. Every day is perfect for me when I open my eyes in the morning and know I We are healthy and alive.
I have no doubt you are always the perfect hostess when you have guests - I think I would fail miserably in that area. Same here - my day is perfect when I open my eyes in the morning and I feel fit and prepared to start my day.
@Kandae11 Get ready! I'm coming for a visit.
@crossbones27 (21176)
• Redlands, California
My brother definitely is and drives me nuts. He makes the simplest things so complicated. That being said, I can be when I want to, but really do not have the patients for that mindset. Plus, think it takes the a lot of the fun out of whatever you are doing. I hate when music sounds to polished type of thing. Its cool to sound raw because no one can really copy that, type of deal. How I look at it anyway.
I agree with your point - what you are doing can cease being enjoyable - but then perhaps the perfectionist enjoys the struggle.
• Redlands, California
@Kandae11 Very true, they could, I hate the struggle.
I'm not but I do the best that I can.
That's very good.
I do enjoy your pictures as they suit your topic most of the time. As for perfection I am glad I have stopped going after that. Life is not a bed of roses when one strives for perfection.
Thank you. Stressing oneself to attain perfection is not the best idea.
I just do the best that I can and give it my all.
Same here.
@OneOfMany (12401)
I expect too much from my stories and try to make them perfect too much. I find that even when I'm not in top form, my stories are still enjoyable, but I can't seem to write them out unless I feel they are being perfectly described.
I know what you mean - even if mediocrity in something I am doing is acceptable, I will still endeavour to do my best.
@OneOfMany (12401)
@Kandae11 It's kind of silly, because sometimes the half-effort I put in makes a story more enjoyable than the full effort. I just can't seem to break the mindset that it is okay to go forward in anything but my top form. I have been trying to break my need to do this so I can be more productive.
@OneOfMany You are more relaxed and as a result do a better job when you tell yourself - I'll do my best and that will be good enough.
@miketagz (7489)
No one is perfect and we're not born to become perfect. Only God.
We can give of our best in most aspects of our life though.
@miketagz (7489)
@Kandae11 Yes and not to give up. God bless you.
@miketagz Thank you.
I think perfect is impossible but I do get nit picky with some things I do. The problem I am having right now is that the blasted spell check ruins my perfect sentences
The spell check tries to ensure perfection. I have plans to write something about that spell check.
Several people have @Kandae11 it would be much more amusing if we were left with our own mistakes.
@mandala100 (50415)
@Kandae11 No I'm not my friend. There's no perfection in this world and I think we human being could only approximate or approach what we think is perfect within our human imperfection.
I see perfection in some things that are nature related.
@mandala100 (50415)
@Kandae11 In a way that's true my friend.
@AKRao24 (21102)
Not really as I know no body is perfect in this World! But tyhen I try to accomplish any job of mine as perfect as possible! Thanks @Kandae11
Performing to the best of our ability is the best we can do.
@AKRao24 (21102)
@Kandae11 That is what I believe in!b Thanks! God bless!
Since finding out, from a very credible source, that without any imperfections on planet earth, we would not even exist and neither would the Universe for it was actually created from a bunch of imperfect stuff that still has not met perfection, but when it does . . . then we must worry
It is good to do the best we can anyway.
I do strive for perfection in some things but not in all things.
Yes, I try to puy my best foot forward in some things.
No I am not.
But you do the best that you can.
@nela13 (8243)
• Portugal
I am a perfectionist in some aspects of my life.
That's good too.