Ouch!

By Lola
@Lolaze (3164)
See that picture? That is what a broken ankle looks like. The ankle and foot in that picture happens to belong to yours truly! Six weeks ago I stepped on some slick blacktop and earned myself a night in the emergency room, complete with x-rays and strong pain killers. It looked so bad that night, the attending doctor thought my foot was dislocated at first and was talking about sending me to a bigger hospital where a specialist would be on staff to treat me. Luckily some further x-rays showed it was just extreme swelling. I also took a good number of layers of skin off my knee on the opposite leg. And unfortunately, the orthopedic clinic I was referred to didn’t take my insurance! I didn’t get in to see an orthopedic doctor for five days. During that time, I couldn’t put any weight on my leg so life was interesting. Once the doctor saw me - I found out I could walk on it as long as I wore a big boot that went all the way to my knee. That thing was huge and heavy! Just this Monday I went back for a follow up and got the great news that I can now just wear a small strap on brace that fits with a regular shoe!!!!! I go back in four weeks and hopefully will get out of the brace and start physical therapy. I never realized how long rehab from a broken bone could be.
@mandala100 (50418)
@Lolaze Hope you get well soon my friend.
@Lolaze (3164)
Doing a lot better. VERY stiff and weak but physical therapy in a few weeks will work on that.
@mandala100 (50418)
@Lolaze That's really nice to hear that you are having a physicla therapy my friend.
@FourWalls (15183)
Yep, that's what a broken ankle looks like. It's funny that, when I broke my ankle, I thought it was "weird" that my toes were black and blue (the way yours are...in fact, right in the same place yours are!), but the orthopedic doctor said that was common. I'm thankful you don't have to have surgery or anything (neither did I, but I couldn't walk on mine at all for eight weeks). Get well soon!
@Lolaze (3164)
Yeah I thought the toes were interesting too! My poor foot looked awful for 3 weeks.
@sugartoes (42524)
• Greencastle, Indiana
DAMMIT that had to hurt like a? & to be in pain OP M G I would be gone off my rocker cause I'm not 1 for pain. I sure hope you get back up on BOTH your feet soon.
@Lolaze (3164)
I’m happy to be walking with the help of a brace on the injured ankle. Still a bit sore and very stiff thought
Ouch, all right. Must have been pretty painful.
@Lolaze (3164)
I had to wait 3 hours before being seen at the ER because they had some life threatening emergencies come in. When I got to the bed I told them I was either going to puke all over, pass out, or start screaming. The doctor quickly brought me Oxycotin. And for the next 5 hours I was good.
@Starmaiden (7642)
I had one of those before. Not pleasant. Now I have a broken wrist. Should be getting my cast off in about two weeks. :-)
@Lolaze (3164)
Ouch for you too! I was lucky in that it was a clean break of my fibula and I escaped needing a cast.
@Lolaze Lola, I also believe how fast you heal too. I am sorry what happened to you. I hope you get better and better each day. It is very hard when things happen to our bodies that we are temporarily out of commission.
I did not realize you had hurt your ankle too!
It probably depends on which bone, as well as a lot of other issues. I know a number of people who were injured on slick pavement this year, but yours sounds the worst.
@Courage7 (15700)
Oh dear sorry about that. I am glad I do not have that as I am allergic to all pain killers.
@dodo19 (33590)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It definitely looks like it was painful. Hopefully your foot gets better. I will keep my fingers crossed.
@nela13 (8258)
• Portugal
I never had something like that and it looks quite painful. Hope you are better now.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
It's seems really painful . I hope , you will be fine soon. God bless you.
As long as you are resting and getting help I'm sure you'll recover very soon.
I broke my ankle a couple of years ago. I was at my sister's home so I didn't want to put her out, which meant I told her I did not need to go to the ER. That first night I crawled on my knees. I couldn't manage to hobble, crawling was all I could do. I didn't sleep a wink. I feel bad for you. I know it's painful and very challenging.
@LeaPea2417 (21961)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Oh goodness, I hope it heals quickly.