My Battle ....

@rakski (16266)
Hello everyone. I have been battling the past days. There have been infestation of small red ants in my kitchen counter top. Almost two weeks ago, I can still leave the small trash can for wet trash on the counter top but just recently I noticed that they seem to be fond of roaming around there. Even a very, very small bit piece of food and less than an hour later, the ants are there partying. So now I am not using the trash can anymore and I have to wipe the counter top with a little soap, water and bleach several times a day. I am still looking for their nest but I cannot find it yet. Can you give me suggestions of what to do?
Can you divert them by putting some food for them in the garden or in the yard?
@rakski (16266)
okay, that is an idea. I will try to do that @ MALUSE thanks!!
@rakski I try to avoid killing animals but if you feel that this is the only solution then you can put a bowl with sugar water (or stir some jam into it) into the garden. They will climb into the bowl to get to it and drown. Drop me a line if it works. :-)
@rakski (16266)
@MALUSE I do not like to kill animals. But at times they get to my nerves as they became the first servings of our food. lol I will try that jam thanks @MALUSE
@nomus24g (22973)
that's sad...we use gamaxin powder..
@rakski (16266)
I do not think we have that here.
@rakski (16266)
@nomus24g positive that we don't have that kind here but I am trying to search on alternatives thanks@nomus24g
@nomus24g (22973)
@rakski hmmm.. I see
@mlgen1037 (29654)
• Manila, Philippines
I hate ants too. We have these small red ants in the bathroom area and I am annoyed. I sprayed it with baking soda and water.
@rakski (16266)
@mlgen1037 did it terminate them? Or did they come back?
@mlgen1037 (29654)
• Manila, Philippines
@rakski it did for quite some time and then they came back again.
@ivanituut (1937)
Kill the ant trail
@rakski (16266)
I did. and clean the whole kitchen surface but even in a very teeny weeny drop of something, minutes after they are there to party. lol
@ivanituut (1937)
@rakski Okay good job my friend
@Jessabuma (28519)
• Baguio, Philippines
To effectively get rid of ants in your home , you need to include indoor and outdoor sanitation as well as an actual pesticide treatment to kill the ants for example vinegar or coffee grounds and peppermint oil..
@rakski (16266)
well, it is actually in the kitchen counter top that they like to go. I do not see them outside or in my small garden, lol. My kids does not like the smell of vinegar but I will try it tonight. where can I buy that coffee peppermint oil? @Jessabuma
@Jessabuma (28519)
• Baguio, Philippines
@rakski I mean coffee grounds or peppermint oil..
@rakski (16266)
@Jessabuma oh okay. I will try that too! thanks
I sometimes burned or splash hot water in their abode.
@rakski (16266)
I tried that too. But the next day, they are back. I cannot find their nests though
@rakski Uhm I ran out of an idea.lol Let us call a pest control agency.
@rakski (16266)
@Shavkat I sure will if I really cannot control them. For now, I will try different measures suggested here.
@Courage7 (6007)
I put down lots of spice called Cinnamon and this made the ants go away.
@rakski (16266)
Oh really? I will try rhat. Thanks
@Courage7 (6007)
@rakski Welcome hope it works
@rakski (16266)
@Courage7 I hope so too.
You know what worked for me was those ant bait traps. After a while you just see less and less of them.
@rakski (16266)
ok. This is the first time I heard about ant bait traps. I will try to research on them.thanks @Metsrock69
@Icydoll (19894)
Have you tried cloves and salt
@rakski (16266)
I have tried salt but there is no effect on them. I will try cloves
Ants are mostly active in summer time because that's the only season they can gather their food. They can't tolerate rain and cold. I use a chalk stick which we call "Laxman Rekha". You can ask for chalk sticks(For ants and small worms) in your local market. It may have a different name. Draw lines with the help of that stick all around your food items in every 2 days. Ants will hesitate to cross that line. Those ants who are brave enough to cross the line they will automatically die after sometime. If ants are heavy you can use this stick regularly. Always make sure to wash your hands using antiseptic liquids/soaps thoroughly after using this chalk stick as its a chemical.
@rakski (16266)
Okay. I will try to look for the ant chalk. Thank you
@iridion9 (7288)
For GOD sake leave the ants alone. ha ha ha LOL
@rakski (16266)
I can leave them alone as long as they leave our food alone hahaha c
@ridingbet (53114)
there is a special kind of chalk that you can draw in to the area where the ants roam. i think you can buy that in DYI store. it is a chalk where the ants cannot pass through. for us, an ant powder /spray is sent by our brother from UK. the small red ant that bit me this morning apparently was able to pass through the spray. hahaha
@rakski (16266)
Maybe they are immune akready? Lol I will try again the chalk.
Sorry can't help you much but our maid would usually draw a circle on each leg of the table using a chalk. Kept the ants away.
If my mother was bothered by ants, she would try to follow their trail back to their nest. She always said it was no good just killing them where they happened to be. You need to find the nest and deal with them there.