I came within an inch of doing that , but then said "No"

@LeaPea2417 (20463)
Toccoa, Georgia
Have you ever thought about doing something you swore you would never do (because it scared you), then thought, you would do it, but right at the last minute, you decided not to? I did and it happened in College back in the 80s. I was with a group of my friends. We went on a Christian Retreat to a town not too far away that was in the mountains. A couple of the guys had a "Rock Repelling" event planned. There was a Mountain they used for this. I had always said, I would never do that. I am scared of heights. But, I knew they secured the people with ropes as they let the person down the side of the mountain. So, I thought as long as I am secure with ropes, I may be able to do it and not freak out. They secured me with ropes and I was all set and ready to be let down. But, right at the last minute, I told the guys, "I can't do it". I said I was sorry. They understood and unhooked me. I ended up sitting there and watching some of my friends do the rock repelling and I am glad I said no. It was really high up and even with ropes securing, I would have had a heart attack if I had gone through with it.
I though that if I rode a Ferris wheel with my dad, I would not be afraid to be up high. I mean, I had Dad sitting right next to me!! Nope, they had to stop the Ferris wheel and let me get off.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I ride ferris wheels but I always close my eyes
Yes I have with a few things. But the one that comes to mind, is when my boyfriend tried to get me to go on a rollercoaster at six flags. Or well.. many coasters at six flags, lol. But we got right up there for the batman ride, waiting for the last ride to stop for us to be seated, and I turned around and said no, and was able to walk across the seats to leave the area. though, for that.. my boyfriend did pressure me and say I was a baby if I didn't.. not caring about my anxiety. but I knew better. I knew my MH was more important than doing it for him.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is good you stood your ground and didn't do it since it really scared you.
@LeaPea2417 yes! Though, after a few other times going to the park, I ended up going on it ONCE and never again! I do not like my feet off the ground, or being upside down! I am not a bat! LOL
@Starmaiden (5948)
What was the purpose of the exercise?
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Rock repelling is sort of like climbing a mountain side but instead of climbing, it is starting at the top of the mountain and going down to a lower level (with cords supporting the person).
@LeaPea2417 I wouldn't have done it either.
@Ronrybs (7331)
• London, England
I did it a couple of times and having got it out of my system, never did it again. The only thing I didn't follow through on was learning to ride a horse. Not keen
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have been lucky in my past, the two times I rode a horse, my horse was kind of antsy and the horse person leading the group would hold onto my reign and lead my horse, otherwise, I would not have been able to ride one.
Not my thing either. But there is a list of things I donĀ“t like to do. All those haunted houses where you are thrown suddenly are not my idea of fun, no matter how safe.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I don't like those haunted houses either.
• Rochester, New York
I ended up moving out of my comfort zone and started selling Younique make up. Scares me a bit, but I'm determined to make it work.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Good luck on selling that.
@Plethos (10315)
I wouldve chopped down the mountain to avoid it.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes,
@Icydoll (19894)
I'm glad that you said no..you would have a heart attack ..it's better not to do somethings.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I totally agree.
Some things just aren't meant to happen are they?
@moffittjc (43010)
• Gainesville, Florida
I had a fear of public speaking, and even getting up in front of a group of co-workers scared the wits out of me. I swore up and down that I would never get up in front of a large group to speak. But then I was elected to the board of directors of our state professional association, and I had to get up and talk in front of 1000 people at a conference. I literally thought I was going to die and told them there was no way I could do it. But they pushed me up on stage and when I got up there it was like my brain shut off and I went into auto-pilot. Apparently, I wowed the audience with my speech. I realized afterward I was really good at talking in front of large crowds, and now I absolutely love it! But ironically, I am still terrified of speaking in front of small groups. I'll take a thousand people over five people any day! lol
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I do remember being afraid of giving speeches in High School.
@moffittjc (43010)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LeaPea2417 I was a straight-A student in high school, and I remember in Physics class our teacher told us we had to get up and give a presentation on a physics project we had turned in. When he called my name, I just said, "No thanks, I'll take a zero." He told me that wasn't an option, we had to get up and present. So, I got up, and walked right out of class. On my way out, I just told him to give me an F on the project.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@moffittjc Wow, didn't that lower your Grade Point Average?
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
I've never had the chance to do that but with the proper ropes and clothes I think I would love it. I've climbed many mountains but never jumped down on a rope.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is good you are not afraid of heights.
I wouldn't do any kind of rock repelling either but I've seen it done on television and it looks so easy.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I would be afraid that a rope would break.
@caopaopao (8621)
I think you did well friend. We'd better not force ourselves to do the things we don't want to.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@bunnybon7 (36529)
• Holiday, Florida
i have always been the same with hieghts have backed out of a lot of things last minute. life to short to do what we don't have to
@Ithink (10673)
I cant think of anything at this time, there might be something but not that I can come up with. I do think that if something really freaks you out you shouldn't have to do it if you don't want too.
I've never heard of that but it sounds a bit like abseiling. It's something that I would have had a go at given the chance when I was young.