A seemingly simple question : Yet no answer

@ptrikha_2 (8273)
Since my childhood I have been having this question but no answer. My question has been: Spectacles were invented sometime in 18th century or later. Yet I cannot believe that people before that did not had eyesight problems. So what did they did for it? Were there instant medical remedies available? Or did people in Medieval period or before had something similar to the eye glasses? I used to ask my parents and others but never got any answers. Any answers?
Well, crude spectacles seem to have been available in the 13th century.
https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/history-eyeglasses/
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
A great share. Let me check this out
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
@Corbin5 that was a great read. Got to know a lot.
@Corbin5 Sir Mankind evolved half a million year ago. 13 Century is still recent compared to that. Ancestors before that would definitely have devised a solution to the problem. Just that we don't know that. Need to research.
@vandana7 (64757)
They did not read small scripts...there were no publications...after spectacles have come, writers have taken liberty to write their impure thinking...and we are facing the consequences.
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
May be the people in those times did not had to watch TV, drive automobiles or planes and may be managed their day to day affairs somehow.
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
@vandana7 but still I believe some people must have come up with something, especially during the days of Aryabhatta and such historical times when India was ahead of world in many of the scientific and Mathematical things. Or maybe Egyptians or the Chinese?
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
@vandana7 well may be some scholars might have used something like magnifying glasses or something.
That's the funny thing sometimes if we go back far enough we find the old timers had some sort of soloution.
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
@TRBRocks420 yes they must have had something.
@mlgen1037 (29644)
• Manila, Philippines
Interesting. hmmm...
Nice post. However, let us understand the real reason for eyesight loss. Some are born blind Some suffer from diseases at childhood Some get eyes injured Some suffer allergic problems Some get old and can't see clearly The solution to the problem lies in understanding causes mentioned above. Wearing eye glasses does not really solve the problem. We are living in the era of cure rather than prevention. Ancestors focused on prevention NOT cure. They believed in developing immunity in body. They focused on a system which can stop disease occurrence rather than designing glasses. Yes, most techniques used by them can't be repeated today. Someone asked me why AyurVedic Medicines which claim to perform miracles do not work today. I said - They will work BUT with T&C. Ensure that environment today is exactly same as what it was thousands of year ago. We need to UNDO the effect of the pollution (whatever reason) in these so many years. We need to ensure that we don't throw pesticides in the name of fertilizer on herbs. The Air, Water, Soil etc. need to be as pure as they were in that era. Can we guarantee all that? He asked me - How can I live a better life the AyurVedic way then? I responded - You need to search a genuine practitioner for that. Here is a test - Genuine person will suggest 90% precautionary measures and only 10% medicines. He will instruct you to change your diet, your routine and your mentality. He will also warn you that medicine will not work if the changes are not satisfied. A single day gap in the rules mentioned above will reset the entire cycle and you may need to start from beginning. Find out genuine one. But, there are some cases which don't work on prevention alone and need cure as well. Cure is surgery. You can read Susrut Samhita written by Indian Sage Susruta who operated on cataract patiets OR works of Greek scholar Stoic Chrissipus who tried to address permanent blindness. These were written during BCE times. So, you have somewhat older data. You may not understand them in the 1st shot but you can revisit them again and again. Happy reading.
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
@the_thinker I too used to think a lot in these terms but you have provided new insights. Thanks for sharing that.
@gautaam (126)
• Mumbai, India
I think they had less screen time, use to sleep early and had healthy food and lifestyle. So i guess not many people must be having bad eye sight. It must be considered as a ageing symptom too. For those who would had got power early in their life must be living with it.
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
Yes @gautaam this is what I also think. Yet I believe may be some of them could have made some innovative thing, yet may be we do not have enough knowledge as to what they created.
They used a magnifying glass to read
@ptrikha_2 (8273)
@JolietJake but may be the elites and the learned used to do that, not others.
@Sreekala (22879)
May be they were not busy with reading so no need for the same.