I may have found the solution!

@CRK109 (14435)
My one year old cat, Timothy, has been quite the problem child since he's been living with me. He was rescued by a local shelter last year when he was weeks old. He'd been living on the streets with his sister. No mother was ever found. I purchased him from the rescue and had no idea the problems that were coming along with him. In the time I've had him, I've been scratched from head to toe (mostly hands, arms, legs and feet, but sometimes in the face) and he's bitten my hands and feet a lot. He didn't like being picked up but he's beginning to get used to it (just a little). This week I bought a can of compressed air. I happened upon a blog written by a veterinarian who has witnessed kittens/cats like my Timothy and he swears by these cans of air. So I got one. Turns out I don't have to press it very hard. The least little hiss the air makes coming out sends Timothy running for the hills! Most times I don't even have to press it. I show him the can and he stops whatever he's doing. I sleep with that can now. If he wakes me up doing something he should not be doing, I press it (when I'm half asleep or more, I have no clue how hard I'm pressing it, but it stops him cold). And then he snuggles down with me to sleep. My feet haven't been bitten in a couple of days and that's real progress. I could write a book with all the things I've tried to teach this little creature right from wrong. Yesterday, I found him up against an electrical outlet, chewing on the plug. I hit the compressed air and then sprayed the cord and plug with bitter apple and I haven't seen him there since. But I have to keep watching him. This morning, he was trying to eat my sweeper. Worst that will happen there is he'll break a tooth (or break my sweeper). But at least he won't get electrocuted. No wonder I can't sleep! Claudia image is my problem child
Scar is 'adopted'...although I am not sure who adopted who...and he can be fairly aggressive. He hasn't attacked me for a few months now...last time he left two permanent scars on my leg, and I'll admit I went ballistic on him over it.
@CRK109 (14435)
it's definitely not fun and I'm sure there's a method to his madness. I'm glad he's finally responding to something I've been doing. Someone told me once to bop him on the nose and say, NO!!! very loudly. So I did that. He jumped up into my face and bopped my nose and those claws attached scratched me up pretty good! So I won't do that again! lol
@id_peace (7635)
I will scold and ignore my pets so that they will know that they are wrong. After awhile, they will feel guility and ended up trying to please me.
Glad you found something that works.
@CRK109 (14435)
you and me both! I'm exhausted!
Thank you for this great tip. I have a can of compressed air, I will try immediately if it works with the cat of my neighbor. When he approaches my potted plants, I press.
do you mean willy or another cat?
@hereandthere Willy, he follows me in the garden while I work and time by time he digs out the plants from the pots. I do not want to hurt Willy, but he must learn that there are things he must not do.
@LadyDuck that's understandable. i hope it works. it would be nice to see a new picture of willy.
Princess used to do this to me a lot, but has mellowed out in her old age. She does go off occasionally. I have compressed air. I think I will put one by the bed.
@JESSY3236 (7093)
He's cute. My uncle has a cat similar to yours. His name is Doodlebug. Doodlebug bites my uncle and my mother. He also scratches them too. I'll tell them about a can of air. He even scratched me and hissed at me.
@nanette64 (17858)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yup, all of my 'troops' have been rescued too @CRK109 . Usually the word, "NO!" from me is enough for them to behave. For some; occasionally I had to use a water bottle spritzer to prove my point, but they caught on really quick to that one. If I picked up that bottle, you can bet they quit whatever it was that they were not suppose to do. And I feel ya on the electrical socket business. That is scary.
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
Timothy looks remarkably like my cat Howard but behaves a lot more like my other cat Winston used to. Funnily enough Winston has calmed down an awful lot since we moved house about 18 months ago. Maybe he just likes this house better!!!
good for you.A beAutiful problem child.lol
@mom210 (6779)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Well once you have him trained he should be a really good cat, that is a positive. We have two kittens we are training right now on how to behave. We were only planning on having one the other was going to a friend, but he has decided he does want it. We only brought it in because we thought it was going to be an indoor cat for somebody else, well now it is ours. oh well.
Oh boy! Glad you found something that stops him, for now. Ours runs from plaatic bags and the vacuum
I am glad you have a solution to this issue, it has been a long road with him.
I am glad you found a solution. He is such a pretty cat.
@peachpurple (12769)
glad that you had found a solution
Timothy certainly is full of mischief. I never would have thought to use a can of air to keep him in line. Glad it's working out for you.
@epiffanie (10408)
Lol .. two more years and he'll understand all the things you are teaching him ...
@silvermist (20085)
Glad at last you have found the solution to discipline Timothy.
@iridion9 (9283)
Cats love me. We have five cats and I like them. and they don't bite much.