What the Shooters Father had to Say

My picture
@RubyHawk (23422)
Atlanta, Georgia
Yesterday I read in the Atlanta Constitution about the interview with the father of the Texas school shooter. He said he couldn't say with any certainty why his son did it. He said his son was a good boy who got along in school as far as he knew. He made good grades and had never had any complaints from the school . He'd never been in trouble. But a week earlier the father had seen a Change in the boy. He had seemed troubled but hadn't said what was wrong. His father suspected bullying but his son had said nothing. The father and mother were called when the boy was arrested and were allowed to see and talk to their son. The boy was sad and broken up. He was concerned that the family would be in pain, especially his sisters. He said he didn't shoot his friends because he wanted them to tell his story. I hope we hear what his friends have to say.
If he was a good boy, committing murder won't be his first thought to solve his problems.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We would hope not but we never know when a mind will splinder.
@vandana7 (63799)
It depends. If he was sodomized and ridiculed by other bullies that much of anger can only be expected. But as things stand, he fancied a girl who did not reciprocate his feelings, and he got aggressive, she humiliated him in front of others, that blew the fuse. Faulty upbringing. A child does not get everything. A child needs to learn that.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@vandana7 Children must be socialized early and disciplined when needed. That's a parents job. Children aren't as well taught as in earlier generations and society is paying for it. Add bullying into the mixture and it leads to this.
@nanette64 (17480)
• Fairfield, Texas
When his father suspected bullying, that would have been the time to actually sit down with the boy and ask him straight out what the problem was. You don't just ignore a change in personality. @RubyHawk
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
No, you shouldn't. There is always something badly wrong when a child's personality changes over night.
@nanette64 (17480)
• Fairfield, Texas
@RubyHawk I know back in the 70's my daughter was being picked on. She was acting funny and when I asked her, she spilled her guts. You can bet my next stop was at the school. I talked to the principal and had names and what they did.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@nanette64 You did the right thing. Some kids are ashamed and won't tell although they should tell their parents so a stop can be put to bullying.
I did read that he was verbally bullied due to his strange behavior at school. A young lady at school kept refusing his advances and his requests for a date, and this young lady told her parents several times, "One of these days he is going to kill me." He had said as much to her. He killed her. Why this girls mother did not alert the school or the authorities about this threat is beyond me. Adults have failed the children of this country. Schools are not properly safeguarded and parents often do not report issues regarding their child that could turn deadly. Police take far too many reports regarding a young person's behaviors that signal possible violence too lightly.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Authorities should pay strict attention to everything going on at school. I can't understand why they let him go into the school with a long heavy overcoat in 90 degree heat. Someone should have checked that out. So many things went wrong and look what happened. Every school should stop student bullying. If a student continues he or she should be expelled.
@RubyHawk I did go with a colleague of mine to the high school she attended in Chicago. I was surprised to see metal detectors and 2 armed security guards right inside that front door. If adults and teachers are clueless as to the dangers some students present, I do believe all schools should have metal detectors, armed guards, and a German shepherd police dog.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 So do I. There can't be too much protection for our kids the way things are going.
• Eugene, Oregon
I suspect that the parents did not have a grasp on what was going on with the kid. Being a good boy and getting good grades might have lulled them to think he was fine when he had problems before. I can't believe that he went down hill in one week.
• Eugene, Oregon
@RubyHawk Yes, we have all witnessed that.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JamesHxstatic all children are not social and outgoing. They are the ones who are bullied. And adults let it happen.
• Eugene, Oregon
@RubyHawk That's for certain.
he was a good boy.What happen?Bully or something else you do not go and shoot up people. How can you say he was a good kid.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I didn't say he was a good kid. His father said the boy had never been in any kind of trouble that he made good grades and did well in school.
@RubyHawk I wonder what happen?
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@amadeo So do I. I haven't had a chance to read the paper or watch the news. I hope the kids tell the story and they report it on the news.
It will be interesting to find out what his friends have to say about what he did.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That's what I want to hear. It might give a clearer picture.
There had to have been anger build up inside of him.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
He was at the breaking point and he broke.
Where did that come from anyways? I hear he wanted to tell his story is why he did it.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I want to hear the story he expects his friends to tell.It had to be something they knew about. Surely it will be in the paper.
@HazySue (20793)
I understand that he was bullied. I thin someone should have noticed the change in behavior and tried to dig deeper in why it was happening. Schools are not as safe as they used to be and it seems like people are letting the ball drop by not interjecting themselves into a troubling behavior.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with you.The parents should have dug deeper. They might have saved their child and all the others. Schools are overcrowded and I don't know if schools do anything to prevent bullying. That should be addressed at every school immediately.
@HazySue (20793)
@RubyHawk I agree. I don't know how they would stop bulling in the school but they need to find a way. Too many school give a slap on the hand or do nothing when it comes to bullying.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@HazySue That's what I think. I believe every school should have a special class to prevent bulling and all students required to attend.
@vandana7 (63799)
Bullying can be the reason. I too am left to wonder what that reason is. I wish people would realize such things can happen and not bully others.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Parents should know if their child is bullying other children or if he is being bullied and do something about it.Go to the teachers, a councilor, the principal. Go and complain until it's stopped. It can mean lost lives.
@vandana7 (63799)
@RubyHawk Lost lives of others who could have been corrected, and who were not guilty of anything...:(
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I think it could be stopped if schools set up a special class to prevent bullying. As far as I know nothing is done to prevent it.
When someone seems to be out of place, or tells another student he will kill them, the school, should look into it quickly. With all the shootings and killings going on, I know more people should be aware it could happen at their, job, or school.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It can happen anywhere. Schools should be on constant alert and have a plan in place.
@RubyHawk I agree
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
He should have been seeing someone. It is very sad.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Absolutely, if the parents knew he was troubled they should have done everything they could to get to the bottom of it.
@RubyHawk ......Just shows they weren't paying much attention to him.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@celticeagle That's what it sounds like. Too bad for everyone.
I just think it's sad if bullying was the reason. I can't understand it. How long will this continue. No wonder so many parents are home schooling their kids.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I believe more kids are bullied than we realize and it should be stopped. I don't know why this boy did what he did but I won't be surprised if it was bullying.
What ever happened to him, it is never okay to do what he did, prayers going out to everyone affected. Parents and schools need to do a much better job.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Absolutely we all should all look for ways we can help. If we see or hear of anything wrong at school we should complain to the school and police.
@Lolaze (3165)
He made sure to shoot the girl whom he’d been harassing for quite awhile because she wouldn’t date him though. I’m looking at this as more of a violence against women story than as a teen who turned to violence after bullying as some of the media has tried to make it out to be. His main motive for this was the girl he’d been harassing finally stood up to him and embarrassed him publicly for the continued harassment.
@RubyHawk (23422)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't heard about that. I hope all the facts are reported. We need to know what caused the shooting.