Aroma of Sambar was appealing, lol

Sambar
@Sreekala (23693)
Today morning when I was getting ready for office, I got the tempting aroma of Sambar curry. To be very honest I felt to have some. I used to prepare the same at home but when I prepare I can’t enjoy the smell. When it comes from neighbour's home it is attractive and appealing. Do you like the smell of Sambar? For those who do not aware about Sambar – it is curry adding vegetables and Pigeon Pea (Toor Dal), Asafoetida, fenugreek powder and tamarind water. Curry leaves also added with this. It is very healthy and tasty. Do you make Sambar at home? Do you like to have it? Image from google
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
Well, other than the okra, everything else in that photo looks fine to me. Is the okra an integral ingredient in Sambar? If it isn't, then I would be most happy to try this dish. (I can't stand okra, no matter how it is prepared.)
@Sreekala (23693)
haha Okra (Ladysfinger) is an important ingredient in Sambar. However, I opt the same according to the availability, if it is not stored then I don't mind to prepare the sambar without it. In general, it is important item in sambar.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Sreekala Then, if/when I arrive in India, I really hope there will be something happen that kills off all the okra in the country!
@Sreekala (23693)
@DaddyEvil Unfortunately this vegetable is available in all season. Now, summer season is the best time to get these on cheap rate that also fresh, directly from the field. In winter it may be bit costly but available. My younger son love this vegetable.
@nomus24g (24874)
I am not a sambar fan, I more like the coconut chutney
@Sreekala (23693)
I am also not a fan of Sambar. But the aroma was tempting as it prepared by some one else.
@nomus24g (24874)
@Sreekala but their combo with crisp Dosa is heavenly :)
@Sreekala (23693)
@nomus24g Definitely it is a nice combination. I do not like sambar prepared by myself. But others praise mine a lot.
@AKRao24 (21142)
Yes, I love it and I am trying to perfect that dish in absence of my wife who is presently at her mother's place. Is that Picture taken from net....it is mouth watering with all those drumsticks, tomates, green chillies, red chillies cucumber and curry leaves! Thanks for sharing ....at least the photo!
@AKRao24 (21142)
@Sreekala , Wow, you made it so simple here...Thanks a lot I am going to give a day one of these days and come back with a discussion about it with a picture! You made my day!
@Sreekala (23693)
@AKRao24 I am waiting for the result.
@AKRao24 (21142)
@Sreekala , yes, I will prepare the list of vegetables and procure them the I will prepare it! Thanks!
@Shivram59 (5303)
@Sreekala No,we don't make sambar at home.We buy it from a south Indian restaurant which is just at a stone's throw from our house.
@Sreekala (23693)
But why your mother never tried to prepare it, it is very easy to make at home.
@Shivram59 (5303)
@Sreekala She never tried to prepare it,but don't know why.May be because very tasty sambar is available just near our house.
@Sreekala (23693)
@Shivram59 Probably that may be the reason. Why to work hard when it is available near by place.
• Pamplona, Spain
No have never tried this dish at all but it does look very nice and tasty to the eye. Glad you enjoyed it though. Buen provecho.
@Sreekala (23693)
This is the main dish of our state people. Without this curry no feast is complete.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Sreekala I will have to try that dish some time or another when I can. Its an easy name to remember also.
@Sreekala (23693)
@lovinangelsinstead21 Wishing you luck,
@suni51 (2989)
What is sambhar without aroma. I love it and can eat it without Idli, bara or even Dosa.
@Sreekala (23693)
haha you are right, any one can easily predict when some one cook sambar. However, the aroma is special when I receive it from neighbour's home.
@suni51 (2989)
@Sreekala I thought aroma of sambhar spreads like wild fire. Because I can smeel it all day long whenever near a south Indian restaurant and when in South India ... wah.. I can feel it all day everywhere.
@Sreekala (23693)
@suni51 I will say you are lucky. But in our place it is not like that, I only get the smell of potato, cauliflower, radish, peas, etc. Then chicken for sure. Getting the smell of sambar is rare. In our upper floor, one Tamil family, they make rasam by adding coriander leaves, I like that smell too.
@kepweng (18574)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i think these is the most Favorite cuisine of indians??
@Sreekala (23693)
It is the favourite of South Indians mostly.
@kepweng (18574)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
@Sreekala is these a street foods too??
@Sreekala (23693)
@kepweng No way, it should prepare inside room or kitchen.
@vandana7 (67618)
I love sambhar...but nowadays it does not agree with me.
@Sreekala (23693)
I understood the problems dear. I too started to get acidity problems with some kind of food. It is a part of aging, have to manage.
@vandana7 (67618)
@Sreekala Stopped ice creams, stopped cakes, stopped sambhar, pickles, milk, curds, what can I eat? I just had a little bit of coffee in the morning, and three dosas. Stomach is aching like hell.
@Sreekala (23693)
@vandana7 Oh ho, it too much dear. Do you have any ailments in stomach other than the discomfort with food?
@aureliah (18440)
• Kenya
its funny that food cooked in a neighbors' house has the best aroma
@Sreekala (23693)
It may be funny but is a fact. I will tell you the reason. When I cook myself I can't enjoy the aroma and most probably my neighbour enjoys it than me
@aureliah (18440)
• Kenya
@Sreekala Its the same thing that happens to me especially when I'm cooking chapatis
@Sreekala (23693)
@caopaopao (12535)
It looks delicious.I don't know what's Sambar. But I do use curry. Especially when it comes to chicken curry.
@Sreekala (23693)
It is a curry by adding vegetables, potato, drumstick, onion, tomato, ladyfinger, pumpkin, brinjal then grams. It is a healthy one.
@caopaopao (12535)
@Sreekala Good to know that, thanks.
@Sreekala (23693)
@kanchan10 (3414)
• Kolkata, India
really love sambar including its aroma. my mom used to prepare it way back but not anymore.
@Sreekala (23693)
Why stopped cooking sambar? I think I love its smell than eating it.
@kanchan10 (3414)
• Kolkata, India
@Sreekala she is too old too cook now.
@Sreekala (23693)
@kanchan10 Oh ok ok. Don't you have a sister or any other female member at home?
@kavinitu (5061)
The food smell of neighboring kitchens are always nice and aromatic. Last week, I made idli and sambar for breakfast
@Sreekala (23693)
yes dear, even it won't be tasty as the way we think but smell always attractive.
@rubyriaz007 (4292)
I love the smell of Sambar. My husband,sister and myself love Sambar very much. We have with dosa,idly,chapathi , rice and poori.When we don't get fish,we make sambar at home. It is very tasty and healthy.