Bobcat Fever

@nanette64 (17825)
Fairfield, Texas
Any feline can get Bobcat Fever; especially your outdoor kitties, because the fever is transferred by ticks. Right now several states (KS-AK-MO-OK-TN) are experiencing a rise in the fever. Bobcat Fever is similar to the Ebola Virus in humans and can be deadly. There is no cure for this. Depending on how quickly you notice the signs and symptoms will determine if a vet can even help your cat (blood transfusions, IV's, etc) because it can kill your cat in a matter of days. Lethargy, lack of appetite, high temperature and dehydration are sure signs. A simple blood test will determine if your cat has Bobcat Fever. A simple way to know if your cat has a fever is by touching their nose. If it feels hot, they likely have a fever. For dehydration, pull the skin upwards at the base of the neck and then release. If it takes a bit for the skin to return to normal; that's dehydration. If your cat is mostly outdoors, a flea and tick medicine or collar is extremely important to have on them. The med that you squeeze between the shoulder blades is more effective. BTW, dogs and humans are not likely to get this disease from transference.
Veterinarians in states like Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Tennessee are warning pet owners this spring of Bobcat Fever, a deadly parasite that's killing cats. The disease spreads through tick bites, and the survival rate is low.
Here in New Hampshire we are very very aware of Ticks Mike take Ms.Ruby out.when in get pat down for ticks.I pat down Mike for ticks.
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh yeah, ya never know @amadeo .
@nanette64 yes we have to be very careful here.We have a tick shakedown every time we come in the house
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
@amadeo That's a good plan.
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
You have a cat too, Nanette?
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
I have 13 of them @mlgen1037 . 12 of them though never go outside. The newest one adopted me. He wants to be an inside kitty, but my others won't let him.
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
@nanette64 hahaha. 13 is quite a lot. Why dont they want the new kitty to be inside?
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
@mlgen1037 Cats are very territorial, and these guys have been with me for several years, so 'nobody' is going to invade their space.
That sounds a very nasty disease indeed.
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
A sad situation for any cat owner @JudyEv .
@nanette64 I've just learnt that thousands of cows in NZ are going to be destroyed because of a disease which has hit the country.
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JudyEv Oh no!!!!! How awful. Those poor cows.
It's about time for Scar to start hating me for a few hours, I've got his flea/tick medicine but haven't treated him yet...he hates it
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
I feel ya @JolietJake . Just pretend you're gonna pet him, grab him by the neck nerve and go for it. Then say, "Good boy" and hand him a treat. Yeah right!!
@nanette64 Did you mean this link?
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JolietJake Yeah, that one too.
@Plethos (10314)
bobcat fever? i thought that was what the women down at the bar would call it when all the men seem to be hitting on the same female.
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yeah, you got that right too @Plethos .
Having a pet does seem like a lot of extra trouble.
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
A full-time job @Kandae11 ; just like having children.
@nanette64 That is horrible. I guess I was lucky my cat that I had before Sophie loved to go out in the morning and she never had ticks.