Using Obscure Words In Word Games

Preston, England
I enjoy word games including Scrabble, Boggle, and crossword puzzles. A game the class often played at school at the end of term was a word game where we had to take turns creating words but not actually finishing them. We had to take turns creating words of three letters or more, but we could not be the ones who added the last letter. We could also not add letters that ruined the words that could be formed as if we didn't know what word was potentially forming we were out. For example, the letters given might be DOR - Adding z would give a none word, DORZ but you might think of saving the game by trying to get Dormitary, only to then be out because DORM is a word in itself An S might save you because you would force the next player towards forming a word, such as DORSAL. I won a few games by being second to go after someone added started the game with an A by adding another one to force the generation of the word Aardvark. Someone would usually be out because they would challenge me to identify the word and I would know it. It's only recently I found that as well as the Aardvark there is an Aardwolf and an Aasvogel, (a type of vulture). Both creatures are found in Africa. Youtube The Bee Gees - Words Aarthur Chappell
Skip navigation Sign in Search Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose exclusivevids1000 Loading... Unsubscribe
That sounds an interesting game. I used to love playing Scrabble but then found Upwords and now prefer that. I think with Scrabble you really need to play a person who is about the same standard. Quite some years ago, I played with a much older man and had to play 'down' to him as he used very simple words and I didn't want to thrash him by too much.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv yes, I had a friend who could barely spell which made the game rather dull for me, like me taking on Bobby Fisher at Chess
@arthurchappell Exactly. Upwords is better in that mostly short words are all that are required but it still requires skill and preferably a good vocabulary.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv yes, sometimes just a few letters can make a bigger difference than using lots
same here I love also word game such a challenge plus I am learn. thanks for the video.Are the Smothers Brothers still around?
• Preston, England
@amadeo still alive though now retired from showbiz
@arthurchappell that is too bad there.But do not blame them.
• Preston, England
@amadeo I agree, they provided great entertainment
@rakski (12254)
Yesterday, we teach my daughter to play scrabble and she is getting the hang of it
• Preston, England
always good to start kids off young
@cintol (5543)
I love word games, I play words with friends and Word Chums on fb with my friends. I find they play some words that I wouldn't think is a word but it allows it in the game. Word games are challenging, thats what I like about them
• Preston, England
@cintol yes, it makes them both fun and educational
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I love word games too.
@Starmaiden (5155)
I love playing with words. It exercises the brain.
@bagarad (11849)
• Paso Robles, California
I also like word games. In fact they are about the only kinds of games I do like. Iused to enjoy playing Boggle with my nephew when he lived with us. I used to play Jotto with my mom.
• Preston, England
@bagarad not heard of jotto
@bagarad (11849)
• Paso Robles, California
@arthurchappell It's a guessing game played by two people. Each thinks of a five-letter word and writes it on his paper. Then they take turns giving each other test words. So if my word is ducks and you guess fuzzy, I have to tell you how many letters in my word were in your test word. You guess each other's words by a process of elimination. Of course, you write down each test word you gave the other person and each word they gave you so you have a record for accuracy and to work with as you try to guess the other's word. I think you can also play with a computer now, but I've never cared much for playing games with a computer.
• Preston, England
@bagarad cool, it sounds like a word game variation on the old Mastermind code game
Now, that word game is a clever one for kids. All we had was the silly Spelling Bee. I have to go take a look at an Aardwolf.
• Preston, England
A Wikipedia page about them is here
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to navigation Jump to search For other uses, see Aardwolf (disambiguation). Aardwolf Temporal range: Pleistocene – Recent An aardwolf in Namib-Nord, Namibia Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1)[nb 1] Scien
@arthurchappell Thank you, my friend!!!
@morgoodie (1841)
Word games are my favorite type of game. The game you describe sounds interesting. I wished we would have played it when I was in school.
• Preston, England
@morgoodie I always enjoyed it
I love the game Boggle. I have played Scrabble but not in a few years now as I have nobody to play it with me.
• Preston, England
@Marty1 you can play it online on some sites
@id_peace (6226)
I will usually push the students harder so that they can attempt harder to win me. They will need to learn in order to progress in life. For those who do not need to do that, I will tend to be more relax.
• Preston, England
yes, a good approach. We have to learn to lose at games as much as winning
@louievill (18432)
More and more new words are being coined ever than before because of the internet.
• Preston, England
@louievill yes languages always change - which is a good thing
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I love word games too.