Hard to Put a Book Down

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I know some of you are readers, and when a good book grabs you, you just need to keep reading. That's what I've been doing most of the morning, minus the two hour nap I took, and washing the kitchen floor, preparatory for tomorrow's housing inspection. Although this book is my own. The story is darn good, if I do say so myself, while I work on the story, making it better. It too is a finished novel, approximately 17 years old, as I finished it when the towers came down. I remember working on it when I heard that news. This one is called Wilderness Challenge. It's part of a group of first five books I wrote back in the late 90's and early 2000's. It's those five books I intend to get published, now that the series is finished and published. I'll also be working on completing several others. I've also been giving some thought to this year's NaNo project. Given I'm not working to publish at the time, that is. November is still a long ways off. Though with as fast as time flies, it could be here tomorrow. For now, I'm taking a break from reading and editing, making lunch as my stomach is telling me I need to eat, and will interact here for a bit to see what you've been up to since I was here earlier this morning. The weather is in the 80's I think, humid definitely, and looks like rain. It's in the forecast, but I don't know if it's actually going to rain here. We need it. The grass has patches of brown showing up. That's what I've been up to. How about you? What's your day been like? Thanks for reading. The picture is one I found on Pixabay and considering for the cover of the book. I'm not certain yet though.
I love to read. What is your book about?
• Uzbekistan
I would like to know that, too.
@marguicha This one is about a young woman who wants to get away from everyone and live where no one will ever hurt her again. She has a lot to learn, living almost completely in isolation, with only a ranger station nearby.
@MALUSE It's about a person who wants to get away from everyone and live alone, with no one around. She almost gets her opportunity. There's a ranger station nearby. The only people she interacts with as little as possible. She has a lot to learn about living alone, and dealing with her past.
@just4him I think it is important for you to like the books that you write. Yes, I find it very hard to put down a good book but there are times I have to do it. I go back to it another day.
It's been a long while since a read a book in one sitting. Usually the books I read are thick and take time. Then again, mine aren't slim, but tend to be on the thicker side, so even in the proofing and editing, it takes time to get through them.
@just4him I am not sure if I read one book in one sitting.
@Hannihar I did once when I was a kid. I remember reading it in summer, and the theme of the book was winter. I was startled when I finished that there wasn't a blizzard going on outside. That's how into the book I was. It was July when I read it. Obviously, no snow in July, especially in Wisconsin.
Good for you! I can't believe how you turn them out. I read daily and just finished another book. I'd rather read than do anything else.
That makes my heart sing, as I'm sure it does every author. It's always good to hear there are people out there who love to read.
@just4him When I finish my pile of books, I will order all of yours. I didn't forget.
@DianneN Thank you. I trust you.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
Nice! I would love to read your books I do know what it's like to get lost in reading though. That's when I truly admire the author... if he or she could transport into a completely new world so that I can literally walk alongside the protagonists and see and feel what he or she sees and feels. With reference to what you said about reading your own work, I agree with @porwest, it can be exciting but it can also be difficult. I tend to want to do a LOT of editing. Today is a working day for me.
Thank you. Yes, writing is all about editing. At least it seems like it. Getting the story written is the easy part. Getting it edited and revised so you have a good story from the rough draft it was, is work, but fun work, some challenging, especially when I'm doing the research and can't find what I'm looking for, but that too is fun. I love the whole writing process. So, it's always good to hear when people love to read.
Do you ever forget what you put in your books?
No, because every book is different and so are the characters, unless I'm working on a series that is. Then the characters might be the same, but the story is different, so I don't ever get them mixed up.
I love to read. I always have a book for waiting room or before bed nightly. You must make good money will all the books you have published.
That's a myth. If I had to live on my current earnings, I'd starve. I'm still trying to figure out the marketing so I can generate sales.
@just4him , There must be some marketing companies out there that would love to help you out.
@marlina I'm sure there are, but on my 'no budget' budget, I can't afford them.
• Pamplona, Spain
I love to read but it has to be online ones for english as there are far and few books in English at hand over in this side of the country. Hey I am really glad that you are going to get it all published then. Please let us know about all that too. They sound exciting to read as well.
Thank you. I've never read books online.
• Pamplona, Spain
@just4him Its a case of I do that or nothing. The most decent place for books is miles away and they are not novels they are studentĀ“s books really.
@lovinangelsinstead21 They're still books.
@porwest (7422)
It is a lot of fun sometimes to go back and read something you have written several years ago. It can be difficult though as well, so I applaud you for enjoying it so much. I tend to want to edit and I might be very self critical of my writing even when it is good.
The hard part of going back and looking at what I wrote 17 years ago, is what was technologically current at the time. With so much progress in those 17 years, I tend to want to update the technology as well. Sometimes it works, but not always. Thank you. Yes, I am my own worst critic when it comes to editing, which is why I go through an edit so many times before I'm satisfied with it and it's ready for the publishing route.
@porwest (7422)
@just4him Still, I like stories set in older periods. I think in many ways it serves as a reminder of simpler times. Even 17 years ago was much more complicated than 17 years before it, it was much simpler than today. If that makes sense.
@porwest The first stories I wrote were historical. I love historical fiction, and am thinking about doing another historical one for the upcoming NaNoWriMo in November. Though, at this point I don't know if I'm going to participate in the contest this year. I'm working at getting two books published this year, and that takes time.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Valerie. Books just melt my heart. Until now I am awake. But I had a great Tuesday doing some shopping with my husband.
I'm glad you had a wonderful Tuesday with your husband. I'm glad you like books.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@just4him Thank you, Valerie. It was refreshing to go outside and enjoy the day. Yes, those books are my chance to imagine and be free.
@mlgen1037 Yes, they are.
Well after the weekend fiasco with my Honda and the need for a NEW exhaust system, I can finally drive around without fumes, severe headaches and body aches and a hanging manifold off the exhaust. You know car parts are expensive ??? But I was forceful enough to keep shopping around till what was estimated as a '4 thousand dollar job,' became a cost of only 900.00 which is still expensive but a great load off our backs and basically, a brand new car ! I haven't read my only published book in quite some time . . . looking forward to hearing you getting published again though at least one of us is
My friend is still proofing the one I'm publishing this year. As soon as I get it back, I'll be back to working on it again. I'm glad you were able to get the cost down on your car woes. I didn't know you had a published book. Is it on Amazon? What's the name of it? When did you publish it?
@just4him the car woes almost had me in tears and mom KNEW I was suffering and no matter how much hustling for jobs and selling any artwork (which gave all but $50.00 bucks), she stepped in to help. My book is not very good, yes on Amazon, about transpersonal psychology and me written as a self-help in 2003, titled transpersonal enlightenment: awareness 101
@enlightenedpsych2 I'm glad the car woes are history. So, your book is non-fiction.
@mandala100 (50558)
I'm glad that you are reading a very good and interesting book my friend.
Thank you. You realize it's my own book, right?
@mandala100 (50558)
@just4him Yes my friend and I'm so proud of you!
@mandala100 Thank you.
@lady1993 (20065)
wow, kudos on completing a book I hope you finish all you need to finish and get them published too so we can read them
Thank you. I have four books published - a series. The book mentioned here, I'm going to try to publish next year. I'm working on another right now, that I just got back from a friend who was proofing it, that I hope to publish this summer.
@lady1993 They're not in bookstores. I wish they were.
@dya80dya (5493)
I love to read, but I can't finish a book. I start another one. I have a lot of books.
That would drive me nuts not knowing how the book ended.
@dya80dya (5493)
@just4him I read self help books.
@dya80dya Okay, it's understandable you wouldn't finish those.
@dodo19 (33612)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Sometimes, it can be really hard to put a book down. Especially when it's so good. What is your book about?
I wrote a post titled Wilderness Challenge that tells all about it.
@dodo19 (33612)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@just4him Sounds interesting.
@dodo19 Thank you.
Can you believe I had a shock when you wrote "17 years old,... when the towers came down.". I did not realize that it happened so long ago. I have read below a little more about the content of your book and it is a very good interesting plot.
It is hard to believe it was that long ago. It doesn't seem like it. Thank you. I just posted about it as well.
@just4him I am going to read your new post.
@LadyDuck Thank you.
@ridingbet (59493)
the house in the picture is so typical of a house in a forest. good Wednesday, morning, my time.
That's why I chose it. The location in the book is the middle of a forest.
@ridingbet (59493)
@just4him beautiful setting.
@ridingbet Thank you.
@lovebuglena (7186)
• Staten Island, New York
There have been times in the past where I've read a book in one sitting. Doesn't happen these days but it took only a few days to read some books, which is great. The less time it takes to read a book the more books I can read before the end of the year. If you can't put your own book down that is a good sign. Hopefully, readers feel the same way.
So far, I haven't had any complaints from those reading my books. I've had a couple people tell me they were page turners, and one was waiting for my last book to come out. She shares it with her family and friends.
• Staten Island, New York
@just4him That's great. Definitely, what you want to hear.
@lovebuglena Yes, it is.
@id_peace (7634)
I know what you meant. I had tried my best to read a 3850 chapters online chinese story (1 page 1 topic and ended up) having to spend one month doing nothing but reading.
That's a huge book!
@id_peace (7634)
It is an online book so it does not matter
@aninditasen (1793)
• Raurkela, India
I like reading too but presently I am on a holiday or religious trip to Bhubaneswar & Puri.
I hope you have an enjoyable holiday.
• Raurkela, India
@just4him Thank you.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
I love reading also but I don't read so often , I don't have much time to do it now..
You do need the time to focus on reading.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
@just4him yes, I sometimes read Bible also