Cleaning is Pain and other fun things

I pulled the box of tools out of the closet. The other box that I thought had tools? Had toys. I forgot that it was the one that held toy cars and other miscellaneous items. I went through my mother's books again. I even looked at old photographs. I opened a box of encyclopedias but I didn't pull those out. I figured I'd wait, maybe donate them or see if someone else wanted them. I pulled the magazines out next and that's when the pain began. I was stupid, I knew it would be heavy but I thought that I could deal with it. I pulled my back out and have been in pain for hours. My bed has no frame. It's just a boxspring and mattress on the floor. It's hard to get in and out of the bed. I applied icy hot and waited. Then I applied ice and keep applying fresh cold ice packs every thirty minutes. I took a hot shower to loosen the muscles. I can tell they are tight. I can't stretch them, it would hurt to bend the way I need to bend. I am sure it would make the muscle feel better but might strain my back more. I'm sitting up in bed with another ice pack. I'll apply icy hot again before going to bed. Hopefully my back will be better tomorrow.
@cherriefic (4805)
Hope you will get well soon with your back.
Thank You. This will be like my fifth backache this year.
@magallon (18122)
Cleaning is sometimes a hard task because of the too many things that need to be pulled or open... When you clean, you find things that are useless and need to be thrown and things that are of value but long been kept. One day is not enough for cleaning everything and it will really give you pain... Maybe you have pulled the magazines with wrong body position which caused your back to be hurt. i hope you feel better now...
I had to use a wrong body position. I couldn't stand in the closet. The box was atleast thirty pounds.
@magallon (18122)
@ScribbledAdNauseum that's really heavy... so how's your back pain now?...
@magallon I was just thinking about how it is mostly gone. I'm glad the ice pack treatment has helped.
I am sorry that you are experiencing low back pain now. I think you can try to incorporate the Proper Body Mechanics. It can prevent from having low back pain.
I couldn't pick the box up in the recommended way. It was positioned in the back of the closet and I can't stand up in the closet.
@simplfred (5272)
Massage helps.
Yes it does. I used a muscle massage tool to help loosen up the kink.
Hope your back is better. I have my grandson live or move heavy boxes. Pays to have a man around sometimes. Haha My bed is not on a frame either.
I should have asked for assistance. I've also got encyclopedia's in there that will either be just as heavy or heavier.
@ScribbledAdNauseum .....They do tend to be heavy. I can't believe I used to move with all my books. Had hundreds.
@celticeagle I remember another member here who used to have a lot of books. She had several bookshelves full. That's one reason why I like the e-reader.
I am so sorry, I hope you feel better today. Cleaning is a real pain.
I have an ice pack on my back again this morning. I'll have to put another one on later. I can atleast get up off my bed without much maneuvering. Last night I had to roll over slowly then scoot to the edge of the bed and use the bookshelf to lift myself up. It was painful and I had to move slowly when walking.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I know, I often suffer of back pain, it's very difficult to get up and lie down.
@LadyDuck I strained my back when I went camping at the beginning of the month. I was getting out of my friends jeep and that's what did it.
I am having the pain issue and I am not sure how you sleep like that. I am not able too at all. Your taking care of it though. I have no frame but I have two box springs. no headboard either in the back room. That is where I sleep now.
I thought about buying plastic bed lifters. I am not so sure it's designed for just a mattress but if I get two sets it should keep the bed off the ground and keep it stable as well. In the past with back pain I have slept on my stomach and stretched my body as best as I could.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I had a stamps account the boxes I never used are under the box spring. I have four of the bed risers but no way would that hold to the side where there is no support. NOt long at all..
@sharon6345 I also have a board about as big as this bed that I could put underneath the boxspring. That would help with lift and I might be able to put caster wheels on them for extra lift.
I will do that on occasion too. I bought a back brace at Walmart which does prevent me from hurting my back, but I often just go ahead without the back brace, and my back is out of whack for a few days.
I should have listened to the voice in my head that said "no, you are going to injure yourself." I thought about buying a back brace, might be a good idea. I didn't think you could get them at walmart, will take a look.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yes, and it was under $20. My sister has one too, but she also forges ahead full-speed, doesn't wear it, and her back is a mess due to not wearing the back brace.
@Corbin5 I used to be a stock clerk, I had back pain sometimes from being stupid and thinking I could carry more than I could. Of course it was always on nights when I'd have several days off folowwing it. Under $20? That's great. I may have to get one for my brother in law. He does trash service now but he used to move furniture, screwed his back up pretty bad.
:Don; mess with me" is what our back keeps screaming And we do not listen. We just ignore those signs. Sad but true. Physiotherapy might solve your problem.
Couldn't go to a chiropractor or physiotherapist if I wanted to.
@ScribbledAdNauseum What is your reason? . You could even read some instructions on physio therapy on the Net.
@allknowing I have no insurance. Even if I read instructions on physio therapy, I would probably need someone to help me execute the instructions I was given. My back is feeling better though.
Yeah sometimes cleaning sucks or any other house chores. But then again, who's going to do it.
I can't afford a cleaning service, so it has to be me. Atleast my back is mostly better.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I hope you are feeling better.
My back pain is nearly gone. I've been icing it on and off all day. At one point I had a bag of frozen fruit keeping the area cold. The size of the bag fit right where I needed it to be and actually added the pressure I needed for me to sit up straighter. I think that helped a lot.
Cleaning is never easy, this is why we always make a day for it. Well, be careful what you clean.
I just hate that I have to wait a few more days until I can start clearing things out again.
I hope you are better in the morning.
I am a little better, I just need to keep putting ice on it.