My first, only and definitely my last effort at making stuffed toys

Bunbury, Australia
Against my better judgement, I’ve been trying to make a crochet koala. When Vince visits Nepal, his group will be visiting a children’s cancer hospital and I thought a stuffed little bear or two might be nice to hand out. However it is way too fiddly and has caused me a lot of stress. It is only a few inches high and very tricky simply because of its small size. To be a ‘real’ koala, its ears should be more towards the sides of the head. The one pattern is used for all four legs but I ended up with two slightly shorter and two slightly longer which was lucky. What would I have done if I’d had three of one and one of the other? The good news is that I now know that making tiny stuffed toys is not for me. Vince thinks it looks cute but I think it might be consigned to the thrift shop and be denied a trip in an aeroplane to Nepal. I’m so pleased I don’t have to make any more.
@UncleJoe (11418)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I like that. Becky made a cute little stuffed mouse. I would love to show it to you but a stuffed cat ate it.
That cat is stuffed now isn't it?
@nanette64 (18208)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh lordy @UncleJoe .
@hereandthere (33424)
if you wanted him to be a "real koala" then you should have used gray and white - then no one will notice the ears anymore. just kidding! it does seem awkward to bring just one, but i'm sure vince will find the perfect person and occasion to give it to.
My mother used to knit small bears which were given to children in hospital. They would be easier to do. I thought I'd make one koala first before worrying about the colours - and I know you're just kidding. I need to find something else. I can't really send one little bear - he'll be lonely in the suitcase.
@JudyEv maybe an easier shape, say, a dolphin? might be awkward/weird for the snowy landlocked himalayas, but maybe its exoticness will be a hit to the kids.
@hereandthere I need something without legs and ears! A dolphin sounds good.
I also think that it's cute Judy. It looks more like a little bear than a koala, but it's cute.
Yes, the ears are in the wrong place for a koala. They are so fiddly to make though.
@JudyEv It's hard to crochet too small things.
@LadyDuck Trying to stuff the legs was a pain too. The beanies were much easier.
@caopaopao (12629)
The koala you made is so cute. I like it very much. The children will love it very much.
I'm not sure I'll send it to Nepal. I don't think it's nice enough really - and it seems silly just to send one.
@caopaopao (12629)
@JudyEv You must send it. Because you made it yourself, and it would make a lot of sense.
@caopaopao Perhaps a little child might like it.
That is a nice thought you had. Maybe you can try another stuffed animal pattern as that may be easier. i think it us adorable and feel good you got so far as it is hard crocheting. i can't do more than one row without getting a weird geometric shape. i think i invented shapes trying to make a scarf by crocheting years ago!
I am going to look for something simpler - something that doesn't have four tiny legs! Lots of people have trouble keeping straight edges when they first start to crochet.
@JudyEv do they invent by accident weird geometric shape when they start to crochet? did you pick up crocheting easily at first? I would look for a different pattern as i am sure the kids at the hospital would be thrilled to receive one and know they have somebody who cares about them on another continent.
@Marty1 When a person starts to crochet they often seem to miss the last stitch and sometimes the first stitch so the piece starts to get lopsided. And it's a good idea to look for a different pattern. I'll do that.
@lynnief (1246)
Aw ... I think he's very cute, and quite good for a first effort.
Do you ever knit toys? My Mum used to knit very simple teddies which were given to children when they came out of an operating theatre. They were knitted in one piece - not like this tricky thing with all its tiny bits and pieces.
@lynnief (1246)
@JudyEv Yes, I have done some. I have a few great patterns. I am about to launch a knitting group as an outreach from our church, to knit or crochet toys for needy kids.
@lynnief That's a really lovely idea. I might try to find something a bit simpler without so many bits and pieces. I need a cute animal without legs and ears!!
@wolfgirl569 (13800)
• Marion, Ohio
I like it. It is cute
Do you think so? I don't want to make another that's for sure.
@wolfgirl569 (13800)
• Marion, Ohio
@JudyEv Yes, if you wernt so far away I would get it for Adeline
@wolfgirl569 That's nice.
@ridingbet (61840)
i believe it is crocheted, am i right? or maybe knitted?
It's crocheted. I like crocheting as whatever you're making grows much faster than if you knit.
@ridingbet (61840)
@JudyEv for sure, it si soft when pressed. i like the canary yellow color.
@ridingbet Thanks
You did not give up and that is a good thing. The guy looks cute. I did see a Koala when I visit your country but do not remember seeing one with a large head (lol)
Poetic/handcraft licence! and I've decided it's a bear, not necessarily a koala.
@JudyEv There are so many stories about cooking. You start making a pudding and that turns out to be a ''kheer' There the guests are told that the plan was to make a kheer but here you are honest
@nanette64 (18208)
• Fairfield, Texas
That is so cute @JudyEv . I think you did a good job.
Thanks. He looks better as I get used to him.
@nanette64 (18208)
• Fairfield, Texas
It's still cute, but I think I might cut the ears out of cloth or something.
That's a very good idea. It would save me quite a bit of work.
@JudyEv Yes, I can imagine it's very tedious work and, takes a lot of time.
@Icydoll (27862)
It is too cute , love it !
It's a pain to make.
@Icydoll (27862)
@JudyEv I can understand my dear friend.
Its cute but I know what you mean.
The legs are so difficult. I couldn't work out when I got to the end of the row or how many rows I'd done. I'm glad it's finished and I never have to do another.
Its cute. I think the children would love it.
I guess if they have little else they might like it.
@Dena91 (4868)
You did a great job. You're talented. I enjoy doing needlepoints but never could learn how to knit or crochet.
I can't do needlepoint so you're ahead of me there.
I agree with Vince, its adorable! But with there is a lot of detail to it and being so small you would really just get going and have to change your stitches to accommodate the details. I think that you should do up one more, and then give one to each of your sons-kind of a present from their past.
Our youngest barely had room for himself in his bed by the time he put all his teddies in so perhaps he'd like this one. I don't think I could face making another - unless I leave it a month or two.
• Pamplona, Spain
Aww, he is really cute. I am not good at making those kind of things either. In fact they relax me so much I almost end up asleep a lot of the times. Very good effort.
Thanks. Needless to say, I haven't made another one.
• Pamplona, Spain
@JudyEv I don´t blame you to be quite honest. I am much better at knitting but have not done anything for ages.
@lovinangelsinstead21 I have some yellow baby wool that I need to use up but I'm not sure what to make with it. I might just start an afghan rug and keep going till it is all used up.
@porwest (9836)
Oh no my friend. Look at what the folks that created the Pikachu made? MILLIONS! I think you may be onto something here. This is extremely cute and extremely unique. I'd see if you can maybe make a cult following out of these.
Would you like to buy the prototype? It's going cheap! I had to look up Pikachu. I'd never heard of them.
@porwest (9836)
@JudyEv I think its cute. How much do you want for it? I even like the fact that one ear is a little bit smaller than the other.
@porwest You can't have it. It's priceless - or should that be worthless? And how come those two words are opposites? You'd think they should mean the same.
AT least you have tried making it and discovered that the craft of making if isn't your interest. Maybe you should try another craft to discover your real passion and interest.
I like crocheting but not these tiny things that take a lot of sewing etc.
@JudyEv Oh, crocheting! We were taught that when we were in elementary or primary grades. But now, I forgot how to make a sleeveless tank by crocheting.
@SIMPLYD You quickly forget these skills if you haven't used them for a long time.
@Meramar (2730)
You did a good job, it's really nice. I am sure the children would love it!
I'll have to find something else to send as well. I can't very well send one.
@Meramar (2730)
@JudyEv I am sure you will find the right item. But, it's a pitty that you don't like to carry on with your stuffed toys. It's really sweety.
@Meramar They are too fiddly. I prefer something that is more straightforward.