I've had enough of goats - for the moment at least

Bunbury, Australia
For the past fortnight I’ve been helping my sister and nephew with their goat stud. One of the main chores was bottle-feeding 40+ little goats. This might sound a cute and cuddly job but let me assure you it was a fight for survival – mostly mine! The kids were separated into groups of varying sizes (usually six to eight in a pen) mostly according to age and/or sex. My nephew milked the adults while my sister and I were responsible for the feeding. We could feed four at a time so we would split the larger groups by shutting some in smaller areas within their pens. Say we had a pen of eight, they would all follow us into the small pen so that was the easy part but then we had to get out of the pen ourselves and hopefully leave four behind. That was the hard part. If you managed to get the gate half-shut on four they would all push and shove to get through. While you were pushing one head back, three more were shoving for all they were worth. The older the groups of goats the harder it was to split them up. Once you had split them you had to fasten the gate. Although the fastenings were quite easy to manage you’d have at least three sets of tiny teeth trying to suck your fingers while four others would be chewing on your shoelaces (they were past masters at undoing laces), your shirt, your jeans or bunting you anywhere they could reach trying to find milk. Once they were finally split feeding was the easy part. However it was all good fun. Some have now been sold and will soon be going to new homes. In the photo they are browsing on some branches that we have tied to the fence. If you mentally replace the branches with a gate and me, that is what we were contending with. The closest one is Mouse and the spotty one is called Blizzard. I’m not sure of the others. At the moment, I am pretty much over goats!
@FourWalls (15745)
Nothing like working nonstop with the "little darlings" to make you go from a goat lover to looking for recipes for goat soup! Welcome back!!
That's true. It was quite full-on for the fortnight but I'd help out again if the opportunity arises.
@YrNemo (14768)
I used to dream of having a goat as a pet until I read articles about how goats like to munch & but & destroying things. Then I found out some goats could even climb trees.
At one of the shows an adult goat stood up on the fence and ate the lovely fringe off her Championship ribbon!
@YrNemo (14768)
They are so precious. My uncle would let me bottlefeed the baby calves when I was a child.
Do you remember how they wag their tails as they drink? We used to teach the calves to drink from the bucket but we also bottle-fed lambs.
@dgobucks226 (14230)
I can see from your post lots of goat watching going on there....
I haven't seen this film. Maybe I need to. :)
@kepweng (19124)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
@JudyEv thats a horror film its good for halloween be sure To be Accompanied by Someone Do not watch Alone
@kepweng I didn't know it was a horror film. In that case I won't watch it. I don't like horror movies.
@kepweng (19124)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
goats is life i love thier milk and cheese and thier horns as souveiners
Many people rely on goats for their milk and cheese.
@dgobucks226 (14230)
I like cheese too miss Kristal
@Courage7 (18181)
Yes seems you had a lot of goats around you Judy. I can understand why you have had enough.
Although they were tiny they were very strong and would push and shove against you.
@Courage7 (18181)
@JudyEv haha yep ganging up on you
@Courage7 Believe me, I was no match for more than two or three.
@porwest (8337)
Oh my. Yes. Goats are vicious little critters. lol. I cannot even imagine how difficult this must have been. I'll leave goat work to someone else please and thank you very much.
They are cute though. I'm already feeling better about them.
@porwest (8337)
@JudyEv I WILL admit there is SOME cuteness to a goat, but not the cutest animal I have ever seen.
@porwest So what is the cutest to you?
@bagarad (12838)
• Paso Robles, California
Goats are cute and I enjoy watching them. I would not want the work of caring for one even if it did give me fresh goat's milk. Over the long haul it's probably cheaper to let someone else to the work and buy the milk. I think a video of what you described here would be a real winner, but if you had a body camera the goats would probably try to eat it.
They would indeed. They tried to chew EVERYthing.
@bagarad (12838)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv When I was very young, someone gave me a picture book called Can-Can. I think it was illustrated with photographs, but that was about 70 years ago and I don't think I still have the book. It was about a little billy goat that had seen a billboard of a goat eating a tin can, and he was determined to eat one himself. Of course, his mother was against it, but he finally got his wish and it wasn't as good as he expected. I loved the photos.
@bagarad That does sound a great book.
@arunima25 (9184)
• Bangalore, India
The goats kept you real busy.I am happy to see you back on myLot.
It is nice to be back but I did enjoy feeding them really. If they were mine, I'd divide them up more to make feeding a bit easier.
@arunima25 (9184)
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv It is good to have such beautiful breaks where you can have fun. Dividing them up more is good idea to make it easy and convenient.
@wolfgirl569 (11772)
• Marion, Ohio
That is too many babies. I plan on leaving the next ones on mommy like I did with Billy. I wont get as much milk but I wont have to fight the kids either.
That's not a bad idea. My nephew likes to keep them used to humans so that if adopted as pets they bond well.
@wolfgirl569 (11772)
• Marion, Ohio
@JudyEv Billy loves people. I just made time to play with him each day when I went out. Play time could take place instead of feeding time and be easier on the humans.
@nawala123 (673)
it is such a big family
Yes, it was a lot to feed.
@ptrikha_2 (10805)
Quite a busy and hopefully exciting time with the goats!
It was certainly an experience.
@UncleJoe (11185)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
It doesn't take me long to get tired of being around a goat herd.
Fair enough.
I've never fed a goat or been that close to a goat but I've seen videos on facebook of baby goats jumping up and down and they are the cutest things in the world!!
They are really cute when they're not jumping all over you.
@Telynor (1353)
We had a pair of goats on my grandparents ranch when I was growing up. They were onery critters, but they were great at garbage disposal.
They eat a surprising amount. Even the babies were always nibbling at something.
I can imagine they're a handful.
Anything more than one or two is definitely a handful.
They certainly got your goat.
They did indeed get my goat. You never said a truer word! :)