What is the best thing you have done to improve your life?

A mortgage
@maximax8 (29032)
United Kingdom
My nephew passed his driving test and bought a second hand car. He did a two year apprenticeship about cars. The company let him have a full time job. I feel that at 21 years old he is very successful. Learning to drive improved his life. I had to move in 2010 to give my disabled son a ground floor bedroom and disabled wet room. To move I needed to take out a mortgage and by 2012 I hadn't paid off much.I changed it to 10 years. I wished to pay it off my 2017 and I was successful at doing this.
@skysnap (18248)
I am going to make sure that I buy property one off instead of loan.
@maximax8 (29032)
I bought a cottage in 1991 for cash. In 2005 I sold that and bought with cash a modern house. Then in 2010 a suitable property was a 3 bedroom bungalow for £60,000 more money than I had. My modern house sold for a price similar to what I had bought it for due to a fall in the property market. Well done for saving cash for your property instead of a loan.
Congratulations on paying off your mortgage. Not many are able to do that.
@maximax8 (29032)
I worked out to have it at around £25,000 at the start of 2016. I did a big overpayment in November 2016 to make it more likely to have it around £10,000 at the beginning of 2017. Then I opened a Regular Saver and took all the money out of it which was £3,500 to pay off my mortgage in June 2017.
@maximax8 Amazing my friend. Such a relief to have no mortgage payments.
@maximax8 (29032)
@Corbin5 The relief of paying it off was immense.
I am glad you have been able to pay off the mortgage, this is an important expense.
@maximax8 (29032)
I had to put in such effort for years. I think weekly payments are better than ones once a month. Paying off my mortgage was a dream come true.
@maximax8 I agree that weekly payments are better, you can better manage your money.
@maximax8 (29032)
@LadyDuck With weekly payments you are far more in control. I did the direct debit on the 10th the of the month then I could add my overpayments. It wasn't good to do an overpayment before the direct debit.
@ridingbet (61984)
i wish you all the best that life gives you now and in the future
@maximax8 (29032)
I loved visiting Cebu Island a Bohol Island in February. Thank you. I wish you a very happy future.
@ridingbet (61984)
@maximax8 Bohol has the chocolate hills, while Cebu boasts of Magellan's cross. happy future to you as well.
@maximax8 (29032)
@ridingbet The day tour was with a friendly, helpful and informative driver of a taxi on beautiful Bohol Island. We went to see the tarsiers first. We walked around seeing them in the trees. I am glad to say they were well protected. Next we went to the Chocolate Hills. We got in a little jeep and I got to drive through the rain past the Chocolate Hills. It was one of the best memories of my life to share that experience with my two children. We visited a butterfly park which was enjoyable. The day ended after a swim at a palm fringed beach.
@sofssu (18589)
Years ago I had a serious back issue and I was told i wouldn't walk , to make a long story short, I refused to take the doctor's word as the final word.. I walked my way to health and here I am 15 years hence working like an ox.
@maximax8 (29032)
Wow times one hundred. Now you can walk. That is inspirational.
@sofssu (18589)
@maximax8 i do walk like i did before and i am as normal as i was before..
@DEMI12 (863)
• Guangdong, China
the best thing i do recently is that i start to use the treadmill in gym. I sleep better and eat more now.
@maximax8 (29032)
Excellent fitness plans for you Angel. It is wonderful that you sleep better and eat more. Well done.
@DEMI12 (863)
• Guangdong, China
@maximax8 Yes, I love doing sports
@Courage7 (21585)
Great to hear the achievements of both your nephew and yourself. I guess the best thing I ever did was go to school when I had the chance trade school that is.
@maximax8 (29032)
Trade School worked out very well for you. My younger nephew is now 18 years old and he is at further education college studying. My older niece is now 16 years old and she wishes to become a police cadet. My younger niece is at the same school as my disabled son.
@Courage7 (21585)
@maximax8 Nice education is a good scene for sure.
@responsiveme (18343)
It is good you have paid out the mortgage. You must have worked hard for it
@maximax8 (29032)
Yes, I worked so hard to keep up the plan to pay off my mortgage. It had to last for years.
@maximax8 No bearing on this, but which parts of India did you visit?
@maximax8 (29032)
@responsiveme We visited Mumbai, Pench National Park near Nagpur and Chennai. Then we went to Sri Lanka and my son's wheelchair got broken on that flight. I would love to see much more of India.
@tech40 (10574)
Wow congratulations for passing the driving test! I remember when I took my driving test too! I felt so nervous!
@maximax8 (29032)
I felt very nervous on a driving test. I had to imagine the examiner was a friend and she was writing a postcard.
@tech40 (10574)
@maximax8 That's a good one! Haha yeah! Luckily I have an examiner which is act as a friend who keeps on talking anything under the sun. So I enjoy that driving exam
@maximax8 (29032)
@tech40 Yes, I passed my practical driving test in 2010. The examiner that talks about anything under the sun sounds very funny.
@maximax8 You must be so proud of him and also and that you were able to pay off your mortgage.
@maximax8 (29032)
Yes. I am very proud of my nephew. My mortgage could have lasted for 25 years! I paid it off in 7 years. I made effort to pay it off for 5 years.
@maximax8 That is great and you should be very proud of yourself too.
@GreatMartin (6607)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
37 years ago I made the decision to live alone!!
@maximax8 (29032)
I live on my own with my two children.
@Karenmm (762)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Congrats
@maximax8 (29032)
Thank you. I was able to visit Kenya in my student days. I imagine sunshine makes for a happy life.
@amirev777 (2852)
At least in my case, my life has been a story of continuous struggle to improve the quality of my life, and it will continue till my last breath.
@maximax8 (29032)
I was so happy visiting India in February. I wish you a successful future without struggles.