New Zealand is in A State of Shock

By Val
@valmnz (14791)
New Zealand
New Zealand is a nation stunned into disbelief today. Yesterday our small, peaceful nation was violated by a terrorist who thought hate had a place in our country. Early afternoon yesterday a white radicalist gunman entered a Christchurch mosque filled with nearly 500 Muslim people at prayer and another smaller one nearby. His random shooting killed 49 people and about 40 injured are still in hospital. Nothing like this has ever happened in New Zealand before. We have always been a safe haven for people of all cultures, religions, nations. The pain is being felt throughout the country. There is some relief in the knowledge the gunman was not a New Zealander. As our Prime Minister declared, there is no place for hate in New Zealand. Our country will never be the same again. Our whole country is in disbelief. We are a friendly, peaceful nation, accepting of all immigrants who seek safety in our country. All our hearts are crying.
I have been following this story closely. That guy from Australia a White Supremacist did it. Supposed to have come from a good family background. Sad this hate crime is spreading like wild fire.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
Hate is such a terrible thing. When I heard the news I was away from home staying in a little peaceful holiday park and couldn't believe such thing is were happening just a few hundred kilometres away.
@valmnz New Zealand is such a peace loving country.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
True.. I heard the news too
@topffer (37792)
• France
Sorry, but it seems that no country is safe when it comes to terror attacks. We have now in France the police at the entrance of the main churches and mosques. It is a crazy world, it looks like we are back at the time of wars of religions because of a handful of extremist haters.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
My mother always used to say hate was a strong word. The extent of it is really obvious now.
• Eugene, Oregon
Too true.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
@valmnz exactly
@arunima25 (13608)
• Bangalore, India
It was so sad and shocking. It is making headlines and those visuals are disturbing. Terrorism is highly condemned. No country should face it or feed and support it.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
Thank you. This will bring all our nationalities and cultures together.
@arunima25 (13608)
• Bangalore, India
@valmnz Terrorism is a global threat and world needs to unite against it.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
@arunima25 exactly. We are definitely seeing people coming together here.
@sunrisefan (23186)
I am in great disbelief too, Ms. Val. New Zealand has been known to be a home of peace-loving people and it has been tarnished by this barbaric act. The consolation though, as you said, is that the perpetrator is not a New Zealander. I'm afraid this might trigger stricter rules for entry to your country. I do hope and pray that this will never ever happen again.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
We've always thought we were safe from the rest of the world tucked away down here. And poor Christchurch. They've had enough with all the earthquakes.
@sunrisefan (23186)
@valmnz Hope that would be the first and last of it in New Zealand, Ms. Val.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
@sunrisefan hoping too..so shocking
@sallypup (31642)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I am deeply grieved over this terrible situation. I send you my condolences. I am ashamed at the part that my country has played in this atrocity. My husband and I said a prayer for your country before we ate supper tonight.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
Thank you Lenore. The gunman was not from your country. He was Australian. Australians are deeply shocked about this too.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
@sallypup yeah I think he's not american
@sallypup (31642)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@KlyliePot This is the first time I have said this about a president: you are right. I don't consider this president to be American. He is not upholding what I have grown up thinking of as American values and ideals.
I've been following the story. Terrorism touches everyone around the globe and must be stopped!
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
The poor people of Christchurch have had enough over the years recovering from their devastating earthquakes and now this.
@valmnz It seems no place is safe from Mother Nature or nutty wacko people anymore.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
@DianneN later I'll be posting about serenity -a nice change from all the horror.
It was shocking to see this on the news. It just makes my heart sadder with the way the world is.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
It makes you wonder where all this hate comes from
12h
@valmnz it certainly does. When did the world become so hateful?
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
5h
@Marilynda1225 I think it's been happening for years, just now media coverage seems to encourage it even more.
I know Val, we were talking last week with my husband and we were saying that your country seemed the only peaceful country in the world. We were shocked about what happened. Crazy mad people are everywhere in our days. I know you are still a friendly and peaceful nation, sooner or later something bad will happen also here in Switzerland, I know.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
I believe we had been rated the second most safe country in the world after Switzerland, Anna. Once terrorism reached Australia we thought that was getting a bit close. Hopefully there are no copy cat responses in other parts of the country.
@valmnz You are an Island, we are surrounded by EU countries, the border with Italy is so close, we still feel safe, but you never know.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
@LadyDuck our little island nation would prefer to be known around the world for more peaceful reasons.
So many crazy people out in the world now, makes me wonder how can people hate like this.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
We're all being urged to join together in love.
@rakski (24945)
I am sorry to hear that. This is a very shocking news. That kind of people have no place in this world.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
I feel for some of these people who have fled other countries to find safety here.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
Really shocking to us..can't believe it
@rakski (24945)
@wolfgirl569 (21513)
• Marion, Ohio
It is always a shock to see how much hate is out there. But even more so as your country is usually so peaceful.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
We're definitely not used to hate on this scale. I guess our country's innocence has gone.
@wolfgirl569 (21513)
• Marion, Ohio
@valmnz Hope it does not happen again.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
@wolfgirl569 all anyone can do is get on with their lives and remember to reach out to others.
@responsiveme (23044)
Your prime minister has responded so well to the situation.She is being admired worldwide for her response. As for the attack it is a hateful crime...Whatever religion ,whatever race...Hate is utterly horrifying.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
The one positive thing is it is bringing people of all races and religions together.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
That's right..you have a point there
@Shiva49 (15399)
I was shocked, like everyone else, to read this dastardly crime against humanity. Love and hatred spring everywhere and most know what is the right choice. Sadly this person had a weapon of mass destruction and I wonder whether NZ allows this or he just smuggled it in. All our progress prove meaningless when hatred rears its ugly head from time to time - siva
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
Its really shocking.. So sad this is happening
@BloggerDi (1402)
So very tragic. I'm sorry that so many lives were taken and so many injured too. A dark cloud of shock and grief is now over your beautiful nation.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
It's certainly a violation of the trust and respect we have in our country.
• Agra, India
Yes..I heard the news. This was really shocking
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
Thank you. I doubt there's a single person in our little country who is not affected in some way.
• Agra, India
@valmnz I don't understand what makes these terrorists harm innocent people
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
@amitkokiladitya they have been indoctrinated with hate and believe they are superior to others
@jobelbojel (11061)
My high school classmate lives in New Zealand and I know he safe in there. He talks about the peace and safety. And now I am in disbelief.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
I hope you classmate is able to feel safe again.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
Tell him ...be safety there its very dangerous now you can't tell the time is...
@jobelbojel (11061)
@valmnz I pray for peace not only for him but the entire country.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
Prayers for New Zealand.. Were very sorry for what happened hope the recovery is fast as they can~
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
I think our country will never be the same.
@KlyliePot (4966)
• Cavite City, Philippines
@valmnz yes it is..may I ask why?
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
@KlyliePot we have been considered a safe and friendly nation. Our innocence has been destroyed.
This sick shooter acted on his own to execute a terrorist attack on innocent people, peace-loving people of New Zealand.
The gunman behind at least one of the mosque shootings in New Zealand that left 49 people dead on Friday tried to make a few things clear in the manifesto he left behind: He is a 28-year-old Australian white nationalist who hates immigrants.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
We have to keep believing in the goodness of most people.
@valmnz I agree. But the terrorist did not know this. Our condolences to the people of New Zealand.
Yes, its very sad, I hated to hear about this.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
Thank you for your support.
I was really surprised that something like that happened in New Zealand.
@valmnz (14791)
• New Zealand
Thank you Judy. Well all take a while to come to terms with it.