Federal and State Tax issue

United States
September 19, 2006 6:26pm CST
Hello, I came to US in Dec 2004 on an H1 visa. My company did not give me any salary in December as I did not have an SSN then. I got my December salary in Jan 2005 as a Retro entry in my payslip. Now, my W-2 for the year 2005 shows it as 12 months salary when it is actually 13 months salary. As a result of this, when I calculated my taxes for 2005 my tax bracket increased and I paid around 600$ more as federal and state taxes. Had I got this in 2004 and filed my taxes in 2004, this issue wouldnt have occured. I asked my company to amend my W-2 to show it as 13 months salary but they dont agree to it. Could anyone suggest how can I can get this 600$ back? Is it possible to get it as a refund from the IRS? Is yes, how? Please suggest. Thanks in advance
2 responses
@aquarian83 (1944)
• United States
20 Oct 06
u can contact some tax professional regarding it
@sedel1027 (17854)
• United States
20 Sep 06
I suggest going to a tax professional and having your taxes redone. You may be able to get more than that $600 back based on deductions you missed. However, I doubt you are going to get this refunded based on yoru 13 month salary as your employer is not going to amend your W-2.