Sudden illnesses/death

United States
January 2, 2007 12:28am CST
Here is how we celebrated our new years day. In the hospital, with my father-in-law. He passed away this afternoon (1-1-07). Apparently he had pneumonia. He was only feeling ill for about 4 days. He starting coughing up blood yesterday and my husband took him to the hospital to get checked out. They ended up putting him on machines and sedated him and gave him the medication for the pneumonia and within hours he was gone. We are still very much in shock as to how this could have happened so suddenly. It's only been 4 days!? The doctor said he had a very bad infection in his lung, which I guess is where the blood was coming from. My husband told them that he did not want his father to have an autopsy done, that he takes the word of the doctors that the pneumonia was all that was wrong. I feel differently. I think they should have run more tests and such last night to make sure this is what was wrong. And I think the autopsy would show that IF the pneumonia was NOT the problem, if they gave him the wrong medication! (Within 4 hours of them giving him this medication his heart stopped beating.) Has anyone else had this happen to them with a family member or friend? Am I wrong in thinking that maybe there was something else going on that the doctors didn't look for in testing? Very distraught over this and thanks mylot members for letting me vent and letting me know if there are others out there that have gone through the same thing!
No responses