Harrison Ford Eager To Play Indiana Jones Again
January 2, 2007 4:15pm CST
After nineteen years, 64-year-old Harrison Ford can't wait to reunite with the old crew and start working on the fourth “Indiana Jones” installment which is planned to be ready by 2008. After years of having rejected numerous scripts that weren’t good enough, producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg finally agreed on a script and announced they’re ready to start rolling. “We feel that the script was well worth the wait. We hope it delivers everything you'd expect from our history with Indiana Jones,” Spielberg said. “George, Harrison and I are all very excited.” Although he has been developing other projects, Spielberg has decided the "Indiana Jones" sequel will be his next directorial outing. For him, the film marks a return to the all-action entertainment genre after years spent on more weighty projects such as “Schindler's List,” “Saving Private Ryan” and “Munich.” The globe-trotting archaeologist will return on the big screen by May 2008 after a nineteen-year pause Speculation about a fourth “Indiana Jones” movie has ebbed and flowed for years, while some fans have questioned whether Ford, would be able to meet the physical demands of the role. "I'm delighted to be back in business with my old friends. I don't know if the pants still fit, but I know the hat will," Ford said in a recent statement. "These films are such great fun to make. I'm looking forward to reuniting with the team and starting this new journey," Lucas added, "It's going to be fantastic. It's going to be the best one yet." Details about the title or the story line haven’t been disclosed but earlier this year Lucas told Empireonline.com, "I discovered a McGuffin. I told the guys about it and they were a little dubious about it, but it's the best one we've ever found. “Unfortunately, it was a little too 'connected' for the others. “They were afraid of what the critics would think. They said, 'Can't we do it with a different McGuffin? Can't we do this?' and I said 'No.' So we pottered around with that for a couple of years. And then Harrison really wanted to do it and Steve said, 'Okay.' I said, 'We'll have to go back to that original McGuffin and take out the offending parts of it and we'll still use that area of the supernatural to deal with it.' " Spielberg’s spokesperson said on Monday that the casting hasn’t yet begun but Lucas and Ford have said that they would like to include Sean Connery, who played Indiana Jones' father, Professor Henry Jones, in "The Last Crusade." "We are writing him in whether he wants to do it or not," Lucas told "Access Hollywood" when Connery was honored in June with the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award. The “Indiana Jones” films have grossed more than $US1.18 billion ($1.5 billion) worldwide since the first movie in the trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, opened in 1981.