Can you change car tires by yourself?

Malaysia
This is a food for thought discussion post. It is interesting to find out how many of us actually can change our tires all by ourselves. In the past, I used to call a mechanic to do the job. Lately, I find that as part of my personal finance strategy, the money could be saved by doing it myself. How about you? Do you change the tires yourself? Or you'd rather not dirty your hands and get a mechanic to do it?
@hafiz74 (268)
Yes, of course. Recently, my car need to change tires. That's my first experince changing it my self. Quite hard actually... my car using 16 inch rim... and using rim lock too... Guys, you need to check spare tires regularly, especially if you always travel long distance. Make sure your tires in good condition. And don't forget to check you jack too...
Good response. The jack is the most important. If it is missing when we need it, it's really frustrating. I have not been changing tires for some time now. But I still know how it is done.
@imsilver (1670)
Well.. I'd never call a mechanic and actually pay $$ to get them changed.. I just call up someone I know and ask them to do it. I know how to do it but I'm pretty tiny and the nuts are usually on way to tight. I could stand on the darn wheel wrench thingy and it wouldn't even move (i'm barely 5ft and at the most weight 115lbs)
Good for you to have friends who would come at your call. Most of my friends would always have last minute emergencies whenever I call them for such help. The main issue to to have cost savings by not spending unneccessarily. I hope that more people will realise this and do something about this problem.
@cassidy22 (2975)
Of course I do. I think it should be part of driver;s ed, and you should know how to do this before you ever get a license. It's not about getting hands dirty, it's about SAFETY. It's a pretty stupid thing to get stranded over, when it's a pretty easy task. I've always changed my own flats, and I rotate my own tires.
Good point and well taken. Especially the part about getting stranded. The other point you brought up about rotating tires is a good reminder for all. Do not just change the tyre but rotate them as well. So that they will have uniformed wear out.
@willocfc (965)
Actually i cant and i know i should probably learn how to, my boyfriend is always telling me i need to let him show me how too, just in case of an emergency, its not that i dont want to get my hands dirty its just im not at all interested in cars and would get bored and he was teaching me lol
Whatever it may be, your boyfriend is being proactive. No harm in learning it at least once. You'd never know when it becomes handy. There is more than just knowing how to turn the spanner but where the tools are kept, too. Do us all a favour, get to learn changing tires for your own benefit.
@ElicBxn (59340)
When I was younger & healthier, I had changed tires - the last time I changed one was with my roomie's help ON Easter sunday, ON the side of a highway (yes, the traffic SIDE!) and NOONE stopped to help "the blind chick & the gimp" while they were doing it! That was in like 2000. That, I hope will be the last time!!!
@elisata (569)
• Netherlands
I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty (hey, I am into ceramics, I have "clay hands" half the time). And I do know theoretically how to change a tire. But I have got artrosis (correctly spelled? I don't know how in english) in my hands (and elsewhere) so I don't have the power to unscrew the wheel. Conclusion: if my dearest is not around, I have to call for a mechanic. BTW, with these modern tires, tubeless and so on, this is a dying activity anyway, I think. I don't mind ;-))
@kunalvijan (3422)
yes
@naveen338 (459)
yes i chainge it some times
Yes, it's the easiest thing to learn how to do. I wouldn't do it if I were dressed up in a light colored dress suit, though. But, so far, that's never happened.
i actually don't know how to change a tire, so if it needs to be done, my boyfriend changes the tire
NO! i have absolutley no idea how to change my tires. my parents tried to make me learn before i got my license but it didn't work out and i just have my dad do it or call a mechanic