How does someone leave a verbally abusive marriage?

United States
February 19, 2007 2:07pm CST
How does someone leave a verbally or emotinally abusive relationship if they have no job, no skills and no money?
1 person likes this
1 response
• United States
19 Feb 07
Obviously, leaving an abusive marriage is not easy to do. The first step in leaving an abusive marriage is deciding you do not deserve the abuse and you want to leave at all costs. A plan to leave is going to determine whether the move will be successful or not. It would be easier if this person had money or a skill to rely upon, but they are not necessary if there are other things available. I would suggest contacting a local domestic abuse hotline or shelter. The shelters will generally let someone stay for up to six weeks (sometimes longer) to allow for job skill training and saving money. They can also assist in getting restraining orders or orders of protection. In some cases, they will assist in relocation, especially if there are other family members or friends willing to help out. Don't misunderstand, it's a tough decision to make and one not to be made without a plan. I've known people who make the decision only to have it backfire because they didn't have supports in place. Usually these kinds of agencies can be found in the phone book or by calling a local crisis line or calling the local police. Good luck.